Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st July

stiletto_33853

The dead of the 36th (Ulster) Division were honoured today in Belfast, as they have been on this date since 1917. Here's a few (very small!) pictures...

post-4676-1120233796.jpg

post-4676-1120233807.jpg

post-4676-1120233839.jpg

Thetford Grammar School pupils Lance Corporal Robert Stimpson, 1st/12th Bn. London Regiment, aged 20, and 2nd Lt. Frank James Symonds, 16th Bn. West Yorkshire Regiment, aged 20, died in action on the Somme eighty-nine years ago today. Today, in their school, the War Memorial Book stood open for half the day each for both boys. We still remember them.

David

• Admin

Not forgotten, may they Rest In Peace, those who never grew old, and those who did.

Today I remember Eric in the Leipzig redoubt and Lance in Thiepval Wood.

Amen.

Thinking of all those from both sides of the line who lost their lives on the opening day of the Somme...............in particular Private George Morris 1/14th London Regt, London Scottish..............A Bletchley boy who never saw his 21st birthday............Rest in peace all of you

Remembering 15027 Sgt.James Albert Lyons, 11/East Lancs, who died in February 1919.

It took him 2 years and 7 months to die from the wounds he recieved on 1st July 1916 in front of Serre.

Also remembering my Gt.Uncle - Corporal (at the time) Jim O'Mara, also of the 11/East Lancs. - who went over and survived.

Dave.

I know Im late, but have been thinking about it all day... off and on... Hawthorne Redoubt...

and imagining people being there early morning sun watching and looking and waiting and thinking....

powerful images never lost

John

Just a thought, and i did mean to ask ealier.. did anyone take any photos on the battlefield today?

John

On July 1st 1915 4 Canadian Soldiers are listed as having died

On July 1st 1916 299 Canadian Soldiers are listed as having died

On July 1st 1917 16 Canadian Soldiers are listed as having died

On July 1st 1918 23 Canadian Soldiers are listed as having died

On JUly 1st 1919 4 Canadian Soldiers are listed as having died

May they all rest in peace. On this Canada day, may we all remember them

Just a thought, and i did mean to ask ealier.. did anyone take any photos on the battlefield today?

John

John - I took a couple in Mash Valley this morning which I will post once I am back at my main PC.

Some quotes from Grandfather's diary from 90 tears ago in memory of those who were there:-

July 1st

Infantry attacked - cannot say as yet how things have gone. Heavens, what sights have come back! It is too awful for words. How little those who write and criticise in the papers realise what it is like. Loos was not a patch on this. It is now about 7p.m. and very quiet. I think we have advanced a good way. Am jolly tired but have another seventeen hours at least to stick. Twenty-two balloons up - one or two airscraps.

July 2nd

On duty till 12 noon. Living solely on Iron Rations and having very little sleep - absolutely tired out. The guns are beginning to feel the strain and one or two out of action and if this goes on like this much longer a few of us will be out of action. Going to bed tonight in the hope of getting the first full night's sleep for six nights. More infantry going up.

July 3rd

Our hopes of a night's rest not fulfilled - turned out to fire, helping other relief; just got to sleep again and were turned out for ammunition and after that to fire again and eighteen hours duty staring us in the face. Not had it quite so hard today - 93 rounds. Getting good news through but the wounded look awful. Our gun has now about 7 degrees list. The Germans still hanging on at Thiepval although surrounded; have a deuce of a lot of machine guns and are stopping our supports going up.

July 4th

Quieter day for us but more wounded coming back. This is terrible - thousands are being killed and wounded dying. La Boisselle captured but can get nothing definite - rumours but nothing else.

That should, of course read "90 years ago" not "90 tears ago" - but I guess it's appropriate since I had a tear in my eye when thinking of what thy went through