Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st July

stiletto_33853

Today is the 1st July, please spare a thought for the men who 89 years ago went over the top, many of whom would never see the end of this tragic day.

May they rest in peace, you are not forgotten.

Andy

Today is the 1st July, please spare a thought for the men who 89 years ago went over the top, many of whom would never see the end of this tragic day.

May they rest in peace, you are not forgotten.

Andy

R.I.P. all those who fell

Spike

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

1st July 7h30...

We do not forget them.

In memory of Abbé Martel died 1st July 1916 aged 22 (Somme)

I do not know details but I can imagine he was with

the soldiers of his regiment, giving them last words

before he found death.

R I P

post-6797-1120196814.jpg

Lost.

Any news of Tommy? Just this telegram!

All brown and neat but oh so black.

They must’ve forgot that I’m his mam.

Handed to me by that young boy Sam,

Met at the door, heard bike on track.

All dizzy and faint, just flopped on the jamb,

When stuck in my hand from out of that sack.

My bonny’s not killed, led like a poor lamb,

Only caught with a small piece of flak?

Tore off the edge; hope shored the dam,

A few polite lines; regret never coming back.

Greeted the floor with a mighty wham.

Oh, Mrs Atkins! I’ll run and fetch Jack.

© John Sales 2004.

Somewhere in France dear mother

Somewhere midst shot and shell

Somewhere your boy is fighting

Somewhere I dare not tell

Somewhere my comrades are dying

Somewhere they fight and fall

Somewhere their hearts are sighing

Somewhere God sees it all.

Robert Osborne Dorman

My thoughts are of those who fell.

R.I.P.

It' s a beautiful summer's day here - as it was in France on the 1st July, 89 years ago..

It seems impossible to imagine what had been happening for the last 15 minutes some 200 miles away on the Somme battlefields.

So peaceful now.

It was bright and sunny at 0730 as myself, family plus Iain McHenry and Paul from Canada were at Ovillers cemetery overlooking Mash Valley. We read Henry Williamson's account of the attack up Mash Valley on 1st July.

Black clouds then loomed over and while we were drinking chocolate chaud in Le Tommy, it began to rain...

Remembering the fallen.........

To all those brave men young and old from all nations, we salute you and will never forget.

Tony and Danny

Just wanted to add the name of one man killed 89 years ago today above the Ancre - Captain Jim Davidson, Royal Irish Rifles. I will be attending the service at Belfast City Hall later today with him in mind.

Sadly today I am unable to be up on Redan Ridge remembering 1st Bn East Lancashire Regiment.

'Immediately our guns lifted from the German front line trenches, heavy machine gun fire was opened from the German front line; from Beaumont Hamel and Ridge Redoubt, Lieutenant Colonel Green personally counted eight machine guns firing on the battalion front. Simultaneously the German artillery barrage came down some 200-250 yards in front of our front line and on all assembly trenches.

In spite of this terrific fire, the battalion advanced as steadily as if on manouevres until practically the whole battalion became casualties...' (Regimental History)

It could be the story of the entire day from Gommecourt to Fricourt and I can never read it without my eyes misting over.

Jack

Sunny, beautiful day even in Finland... For many days it`s been raining, but now...weird, like a real tribute to the ones who were in Somme on this date in 1916. Lest we forget.

For the 17th bttn HLI whose CO had the vision to ignore orders and had his men storm the German front line at Zero.

To the men and boys of the 16th HLI, stuck on the wire as they tried to push past the Liepzig redoubt to Mucky Quarry.

To the old soaks of the Royal Warks, pros sent to stiffen the enthusiasm of the New Army boys but paid the same price.

Dulce et decorum est etc. etc.

Remembering my Great Uncle, Private Herbert Burman, killed on this day, Gommecourt, and all of his comrades in the 1/7th Sherwood Foresters.

Remembering all those lads who fell 'doing their bit'.

I've just put in alphabetical order a list of men from my town/district who had joined the 'Kitchener' battalion 12th Royal Irish Rifles by 7th May, 1915.

There were 321 names in all by this stage of the war and more were to follow.

It is truly frightening to re-examine that list.

Many of them fell or were wounded on 1st July. Many of them died before and after.

This may sound ridiculous but in some way I would hope that this simple 'cut and paste' exercise in which I've looked at so many names is a small contribution to their memory.

Des

Now moving on to the other regiments/corps.

Edited by Desmond7

Remembering all who fell and those who returned injured, scarred in body and mind !! WE DO REMEMBER THEM STILL

Patrick

Remembering my Uncle, Lance Corporal Leonard Harrison, killed on this day, Gommecourt, and all of his comrades in the 1/5th Sherwood Foresters.

Sue Gill

The ignorance of the politicians and the generals, from all sides, led to so many deaths of young and not-so-young men and women from places as geograhically seperated as Ireland, India and the depths of the former Russian Empire.

May they all rest in peace. We remember them- but for how long?

Martin

'They Sleep In Heroes Graves'

We will remember them now and forever.

Glyn

My soon to be ex husband shouted at me today because I tried to remind daughter about Somme, dont worry tho, every time history proramme on tv she talks about 90 years ago and "Great War", so inculcation obviously works or grand passion..ps She is only four!!

Jayne W x