Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Earliest CWGC stone

Boreenatra

Steve

Enquire by email at the UK Area Office and ask why it is not marked.

You will probably find that there is a reason and action may be in hand. On the other hand you may find that you have been looking in the wrong place! :D

Terry. I'd be looking in the wrong place if the CWGC plot numbers are wrong!!! He should be on the right of this stone (265).......but he's not!! Regards Steve.

The plot number can be wrong due to scanning errors when the info was converted for computers.

I have found several such errors myself as have others.

Try seeing if the letter 'I' has been confused with 'J'. I have found examples of this.

Terry - I have recently been photographing memorials for the British War Memorial Project and in a very small cemetery in Herts I could not find one guy, try as I might. I reckon that his grave may not have been marked as I identified those to the right and left.

If I informed the local CWGC would they put it on a "replacement list"?

Chris C

I have had similar experiences but I have to say, in virtually every case, it was me that was wrong.

I have only ever found one grave (out of thousands) which was in a location other than that stated by CWGC. It is usually me who is looking in the wrong place due to the very idiosyncratic layout of many cemeteries/churchyards.

I must admit that I am very sceptical when people say that a grave is not there 'because they cannot find it'. I have been in that position too many times myself - and been wrong! Only today I searched for an hour (unsuccessfully) for a grave which I had visited only five years ago but now can't find. I have had to ask CWGC for help in finding it.

However, there are occasions when mistakes occur and there are a few occasions when a name does not appear on a private headstone. Also, plaques etc, can get separated from the main memorial.

If you cannot find a grave, email CWGC's UK Area Office and ask its location and for a description of the headstone.

Most council cemeteries tend not to have burial plot no's on site.( which is crazy) They are usually kept in a council office, to which you usually have to apply to in writing and then wait for a reply which could be anytime. Not a lot of help if you need to visit on a certain date at a certain time. Churches tend to be better, but often have hand written lists which don't often get updated. Terry , I shall try all combinations to try and find Bearman/Steadman. If anybody has a pic of anything at plot 266 at Barking please let me know. Regards Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Terry I have been again to Barking and the office staff very kindly dragged out the old burial lists for 1918.and found Edward Charles Bearman at plot no. I 226 as opposed to I 266 on the CWGC list. Should I contact them so the no. can be changed Obviously a transcription error. Perhaps, obvious as it may appear but it's worth remembering that most (all ?) church/cemetery listings are done by burial date as opposed to date of death. E.C.Bearman buried 6/11/1918.Regards Steve.

Thanks Terry for your reply. I may have been leaning on the back of this stone to take the pic of plot 266!!!. Perhaps as a local lad you may know Barking is laid out in such a way sometimes it's impossible to follow. Nice to see the stone for T.E.Tuck has been replaced.Regards Steve.