Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major new project & I need your help

John_Hartley

Richard - some Navy. I'll be intouch in due course. Thanks.

Erwin - more than happy to co-operate on an international level. It's implicit in the arrangements I have with the Council, that I hold intellectual title to the research, so can use it freely. The difficulty may be about the photos. Copyright issues would have to be resolved with the local newspapers. Quality is another problem - all I can easily get is a photocopy, of a print-out that was taken from a microfilm record. Therefore, quality is poor! For info, Jacky P has a copy of all my write-ups on about 80 Cheshires commemorated on the Menin Gate. You'll remember Jacky posted a thread asking for personal stories as, in due course, the Last Post Association intends to expand its website to include some such material.

Great news, John. A wonderful project.

Chris.

Needless to say, I'd appreciate a LLT link to the project when it's up and running.

For info, the LLT is already the primary site recommended by Stockport Local Heritage Library for family historians undertaking military research (and I can't claim credit for it, I'm afraid).

John

Congratulations John,

Sounds like its going to keep you out of mischief for a long time, but a labour of love Ive no doubt about that. I know sometimes enquiries stretch into some strange places and although I cant give you any help up there if you need any enquiries Portsmouth area only to happy to oblige.

Towny Len in Gosport

Thanks John.

I will discuss this with the museum staff. We knew when we started the project that photo's would be the most tricky part of the project.

About the copyright: maybe the man/woman who will sort out the information can contact the organisatin/ company who owns the rights, if you can mention their coordinates.

I am almost in holiday so won't be able to arrange much before, but maybe we can keep in touch?

Erwin

Well John that should keep you going for a while...............If you find any of your chaps have a North Bucks connection, just give me a shout & I'll help wherever possible

This is mammoth John and I wish youthe best with it.

If you need a hand N/E England/Yorkshire Regiment just let me know.

Bob.

John: I would be very happy to do any Royal Artillery officers that you need done and would be willing to do what I can with officers from other regiments. Dick

john,i have the war graves register for cheshire,i will go through it over the next 2 days,it might save you trawling through the cwgc for some of them,and theres a few from stocky on our memorial,i will keep one eye out for stocky lads and lasses and the other on the m/cs,good luck,bernard

Bernard

Thanks for the offer - but CWGC has already been well & truly trawled.

The vast bulk of the 3000 are identified, leaving about 250 (mainly common names and initials where I can't make any connection with the area through CWGC or SDGW).

However, I'd be interested to know of any locals on your memorial (where exactly is it, by the way?)

John

John,

Congratulations on such a worthwhile project!

If you need anything Notts. way i'll see if i can help out!!

john,which are the boroughs that you are covering,i know the cheadles and heatons,brinny,portwood and davenport,is there any others,sorry but i dont know what comes under stocky nowadays,bernard

Bernard

The full list of memorials maintained by the Council are Stockport Art Gallery, Romiley, Marple, Long Lane (Heald Green), High Lane, Heaton Chapel & Heaton Moor, Heaton Mersey, South Reddish, Hazel Grove, Gatley, Compstall, Cheadle Hulme, Cheadle, Bredbury, Bramhall.

If you're looking for the names on the memorials the easiest way is to look them up on www.carlscam.com

John

excellent news mate!

you know where I am if you want owt

You know who to ask if want any Macclesfield research!

I will be giving you my family info.

Best of Luck.

Steve

John - well done and good luck. Just as well you are retired - its a mammoth task! If I can help re the Swansea/Neath/Port Talbot areas let me know. Also any Welsh regiment casualties (other than the 14th Bn) I MIGHT have some contacts who MIGHT be able to help.

On funding I was lucky here as there is a 'Glamorgan County History Trust' charity. This gives modest research grants for county history related projects. It kindly gave me two grants that led to my book on the Swansea Workhouse and one grant re the Swansea Bn. Helped me get to the NA for a week at a time. Does sunny Stockport have anything similar? Your archive office might know...

Read this quick as you have a lot of typing to do!

Bernard

Nice one John,

If there's anything I can do from this area, just let me know

Roy

Well, this should keep you busy! What a fantastic idea. Shame there's not even a nominal budget for you though. I wish you every success and I look forward to the results. Anthony has already offered any Notts & Derby's help, but feel free to count me in on any queries concerning that regiment.

Good luck!

Dear John,

I think that the members of this forum need a round of applause.. How many, from all parts of the country have offered help? I would but dont know anything!

But if I can help, I would ,but already you have offers of help from the Notts/Derby area. That said should I come across anything however inane (you might regret this) I will send to you. Good Luck Jayne W

Dear John,

I think that the members of this forum need a round of applause.. How many, from all parts of the country have offered help? I would but dont know anything!

But if I can help, I would ,but already you have offers of help from the Notts/Derby area. That said should I come across anything however inane (you might regret this) I will send to you. Good Luck Jayne W

Jayne (and others)

I am truly over-whelmed by the offers of help, support and best wishes that have been posted here or have flooded my email and PM boxes. Many, many thanks to everyone. I hope that when the project is up and running it will act as a precedent for others to pester their own councils to "do more" about remembrance.

As I mentioned earlier, the stories of the 800 Cheshires are already written and ready to be uploaded to the Council's website when they have their technical act together. This has meant that I have built up quite a collection of Cheshire information which I'm happy to share if folk need it (just PM or email me)

I estimate that it's going to take another 6 years (minimum) to complete the project and, to preserve any semblance of sense and order in my life, I'm researching the rest of the men in batches (of about 400) by units. It will, therefore, be some time before I make requests of some people (I hope that we'll still be here 2011).

For information, the following is a list of the "current batch". Some are easy for me to research. For example, the regimental archive at Preston holds most war diaries for the East, North and South Lancs. And whilst I'm mentioning the North West I just want to say a big "THANKS" to Northen Soul. When Andy heard of my project months ago, he asked for the list of King's Own (Royal Lancaster) men "out of interest". Over the following weeks, regular emails arrived attaching new extracts from regimental and battalion histories. Must have taken him hours to type them up. A real Forum Pal (thanks, mate).

OK. The list:-

Argyll & Sutherland 6

Black Watch 4

“Scottish regt” 5

Cameron Highlanders 6

Highland Light Inf 2

KOSB 11

Royal Scots 19

Royal Scots Fusiliers 9

Seaforth Highlanders 16

Australian Forces 17

Canadian Forces 33

NZ forces 2

“Overseas” 5

South African Forces 3

Army Cyclist Corps 6

Army Service Corps 43

“Cavalry” 3

Cheshire Yeomanry 1

Dragoon Guards/Dragoons 5

Glamorgan Yeomanry 1

Hussars 2

Life Guards 1

Border 16

Civilian 2

Devonshires 2

Dorset 2

DCLI 1

East Lancashire 14

North lancashire 34

South Lancashire 82

“Lancashire” rgts 21

Kings Own Lancasters 49

Hampshire 2

Hereford 2

East Surrey 2

Essex 3

Westmoreland Hussars 1

Kings African Rifles 1

TOTAL 434

I have a few weeks work still to do with personal information that I've collected on the men before I can start to do military research , but, fear not, chaps & chapesses, you will hear from me. B)

John

john,ime only in levenshulme,just down the road from stocky,its always had a good share of stockport/cheshire folk,they come here so we can educate them on how to eat cow heal wiv a knife and fork,i have the names on stockport memorial and i can get the other ones off carls cam,will it help your workload,if i mark off the men from the KORL who were entitled to the 14 or 14/15 star and the same for the 90th m/c brigade and of course,any additional comments,i know through speaking to you,that you have marple covered,BUT the book may be lacking,i was up there some years ago and theres a churchyard next to the railway station,in it ,is a cwgc headstone to two brothers but i dont think they are in the book,i forget their names but i remember that one died in egypt and the other in palestine,their parents are buried in the grave,bernard

Hi

Good luck!

If you want to let me know who you need info on in The Black Watch I will have a hunt through what I have on file.

Fred