Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Mound', Beaucourt

Chris Noble

stays the question: at what point does the slope rise gently to the left; if it is Thiepval ridge with Schwaben redoubt further back, the pic must be taken substantially further south, directly in vicinity of frontline; if the rising ground is that of Beaumont ridge, than???????

If you see my second extract (above), I believe it to be taken from directly above the number 8 looking north-westwards (ish). The slope in the background being portrayed on the trenchmap as an embankment. If this is the case, then it is quite a way behind the frontline (about 3km).

Dave.

If you see my second extract (above), I believe it to be taken from directly above the number 8 looking north-westwards (ish). The slope in the background being portrayed on the trenchmap as an embankment. If this is the case, then it is quite a way behind the frontline (about 3km).

To illustrate...

I think the photographer was stood around where I 've placed the green "blob". The arc of the photograph being shown within the two lines.

Dave.

post-357-1120947319.jpg

Dave I am not with you on that: in your snippet the height lines of "Bois d'Holland" clearly indicate the opposite; if you compare it with my drawing the position you indicated would conclude the slope rising/falling to the opposite direction!(your view angle in red as I understood it)

post-80-1120948109.jpg

Your last (green) shows NNE; that does not fit either because "Bois d'Holland" rises steadily

Egbert.

The slope behind the emankment is so gentle that there's no way that you'd be able to see the Bois d'Holland from the position of the photographer(unless he turned to his left). The (well in my theory anyway) photographer is stood on the lowest point ,looking up to a tree-topped embankment. Behind the embankment, the photo is looking along the contours hence the apparant flatness. My "arc" was too wide. It should have been basically the river and a bit to the sides only. (The river sweeps in the correct direction too!)

This is only my theory, going off a map ahowing the frontlines, of a possible location. Personally, I have a gut-feeling that it was taken miles away! (I know it's labelled as such, but is it definately the Ancre?)

Dave.

Dave I am not with you on that: in your snippet the height lines of "Bois d'Holland" clearly indicate the opposite; if you compare it with my drawing the position you indicated would conclude the slope rising/falling to the opposite direction!(your view angle in red as I understood it)

My mistake on this one - I meant North Eastwards(ish) and above the 8 on the other side of the river (see my scan to see what I meant! :D )

Dave.

I just decided to check it out in person! I will come transatlantic and visit the Somme 17/18 September 2005 :)