18th May 1915

17th July 1915

24th July 1915

26th July 1915

31st July 1915

7th August 1915

14th August 1915

4th September 1915

18th September 1915(Supplementary List only)

1st September 1916

15th September 1916

1st August 1917

1st October 1918

1st December 1918

I wrote to every Commonwealth R.C. organisation I could think of to trace the lost one, but had no joy, but one or two are in private hands.

I also have most of Northumberland & Durhams Absent Voter Lists and a load of Police Gazettes which cover deserters. Plus all the 1914 - 1919 St.Georges Gazettes.

Will it do for starters.

Gan Canny,

Graham

Kate,

Sorry should have been "lost ones" and not 'lost one'.

Know where all the N.F.(T.F.) Battalion Part II Orders Books are too.

Graham.

Graham

Wow!

I do know the people in the 6th NF who were listed Missing for most of the months up to 1918, so when I have checked I may ask you to look for one or two men, if that's O.K..

Just to satisfy my curiosity. Are there many 6th NF. listed in the '15 or '16 lists. I have not seen so many in the War Diary.

I have been checking the Absent voters and St. George's Gazette in the library but I have not come across copies of the Police Gazette, although somone else on this forum had 1 or 2 copies and found me some Northumberland Fusiliers.

You have an excellent collection of reference material, as expected from the thoroughness of your books.

Can't wait to see your reference list for your new dissertation. :D

Kate

Kate,

The early Enquiry Lists are a bit of a "hotch-potch" affair and although the enquiries are listed by regiment they aren't listed as well as later lists i.e. there's a lot of ? marks where the battalion should be marked.

The 26th July 1915 E/L shows a marked improvement and my copy shows that it was actually used to mark off enquiries so there are plenty of pencil marks. The 31st July E/L shows a marked improvement with the layout that we're familiar with.

The number of T.F. enquiries is small considering their contribution from April 1915 onwards. Why I don't really know, but it may that be the N.F.(T.F.) Bn's didn't really appreciate the role that the Red Cross and the E/L's played and so conducted enquiries themselves.

Tell you what I'll cut you a deal. I'll copy and send you the two 1918 Lists which you can browse at your leisure in return tell me what list's you have that I might be able to make use of i.e. your PG's may be different to mine. Please bare in mind there will be a lot of duplications. As for an address, just send it direct to my e.mail and I'll do likewise.

By the way have you extracted any N.F. from the Berwick-on-Tweed or Wansbeck AVL's? They were the two books I was going to do until I got the quote. I'll give you a list of what AVL's I have.

Thats all for now,

Graham.

That's all for now

Hello

I can look up any individuals for Cold Gds POWs WW1 - not an exhaustive list mind you..

Ian

Graham

Thank you very much for your offer. Almost too much happiness. I will contact you separately tomorrow.

You'd better wait until you see what my swaps are before you decide. When you hear about them, I will probably be your first case study for your dissertation.

Kate

Kate,

Will keep an eye open tomorrow, as I'm off work. Look forward to seeing what lists you have. The "odds'n'sods" from the earlier E/L's I'll type up in Word and send via e.mail. I'll also copy my 1917 E/L when I get back to work on Monday.

Graham.

• 3 weeks later...

I just joined and wonder if anyone can help.

I am interested in one Captain, later Major and finally Lt-Col Reginald William Gaskell,, 9th Bohpals who was captured by the Germans at Festubert 23 Nov 1914 commanding No 3 company when the trenches of the 9th Bhopals and 34th Sikhs were overwhelmed in hand to hand fighting. Prisoner of War to Germany (only 1 of 10 British Indian Army Officer’s taken on the Western front).

He was, amazingly, promoted to Major whilst a POW - Major 1 September 1915 (LG 28/7/16 – T/Maj dated 18/4/16, LG 6/4/17 Substantive, antedated promotion) and mentioned in dispatches LG 30th January 1920 for ‘gallant conduct and determination displayed in escaping or attempting to escape from captivity’ under Army Order 193 of 1919 – the only Indian army officer of those taken on the western front so decorated (only 114 MID’s for this in total).

I have checked the Cox & Co listing for him, but can anyone add anything else for his time as a POW? Camps or anything would be good.

Many thanks,

Matthew B.

Thanks very much for that.

now I need to find someone going to the NA - I live in the not quite frozen, more like very wet North - to find out what that means!

Cheers

Matthew