Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is it a Battalion or Regiment

niall mallon

Joseph,

At present not much to go on. It was the 8th(Lucknow)Division that they actually served with as part of Calcutta Coast Defence. The Division was a regular formation under Northern Army, India and for much of the war was on internal security duties.

62nd Coy,R.G.A were certainly there in Agust 1914, but they were replaced as Calcutta Coast Defence by 52nd Coy,R.G.A. in June 1916.

Got it!

62nd Coy,R.G.A., 69th Coy,R.G.A. & 85th Coy,R.G.A. replace 61st Coy,R.G.A., 70th Coy,R.G.A. & 76th Coy,R.G.A. in the ADEN BRIGADE in June 1916.

Gentlemen they left India and sailed for Aden, and they were still there in 1920.

Graham.

Naill, Graham,

Stirling work Graham pretty much covers his service, Im no expert on medals would he have still got his pair? I notice he has a MIC. Naill over to you, can you post it? may add a little more to his history.

Regards Charles

"Wow" :D What can I say great work Graham and Charles the only thing is, how did he get to be up in Ireland in Sept 1920 when he married my Grandmother. Here is medal card details.

Allsopp Frederick C

Corps RGA

Rank Gunner

Reg No 35635

Victory RGA 233b page 159.39

British RGA 108A page 725

Unfortunately no other information is given, does that tell you anything

Hi Graham is it possible to shed any light on 62coy in the Aden brigade in 1916 and how they were still there in 1920 :unsure: How did they get to Ireland in 1920 :o

Edited by niall mallon

• 1 month later...

Hi Graham, Was there anything more to add to 62coy in Aden is it possible some of them left before 1920. cannot figure out how he was in Ireland in 1920. also was there a different Cap Badge for RGA before the War if so would it be possible to see one. Thanks again for everything. :D

Niall,

Please excuse my ignorance for not replying, but I didn't realse you'd added a further enqiry to your post.

There isn't a great deal that I can tell you about the Aden Brigade apart from giving details of the units that served there from 1916 onwards when 62nd Coy,R.G.A. were serving there.

The cavalry consisted of "Aden Troop", 26th Indian Cavalry, which was supplied by 'D' Sqdn, 26th I.C. until December 1917 when it was replaced by 'B' Sqdn of the same regiment.

The Infantry from 1916 to 1918 were;-

109th Infantry - to Kohat Bde 1917.

23rd Sikhs - left January 1916 for 29th Indian Bde in Egypt.

126th Baluchis - left January 1916 for 41st Indian Bde in Mesopotamia.

108th Infantry - left for Bombay Bde in Feb 1916.

1/4th Bn, Buffs(TF) - left 28/1/1916 for Bareilly Bde/Meerut Div.

Malay States Guides.

1/4th Bn, D.C.L.I.(TF) - arrived from Bareilly Bde 28/1/16. Left 8/2/1917 for Suez.

75th Infantry - arrived January 1916 from Baroda/5th(Mhow)Div.

69th Punjabis - arrived January 1916 from 21st(Bareilly)Bde/7th(Meerut)Div.

33rd Punjabis - arrived from Egypt in February 1916. Transferred to East Africa in April 1917.

1/6th E.Surrey Regt(TF) - arrived 7/2/1917 from 5th(Jhelum)Bde/2nd(Rawalpindi)Div. Left 8/1/1918 to Agra/Meerut Div.

7th Rajputs - arrived April 1917 from Baroda/5th Mhow Div.

38th Dogras - arrived in October 1917 from 1st(Peshawar)Bde. Sailed for Egypt February 1918.

1/7th Bn, Northants Regt(TF) - arrived 8/1/1918 from Ambala Bde/16th(Indian)Div.

1st Brahmans - arrived January 1918 from Bombay Bde/Poona Div.

1st Yemen Infantry - formed January 1918.

2/101st Grenadiers - arrived December 1918 from 31st Bde/10th(British)Division.

The Artillery from 1916 to 1918 were;-

61st Coy,R.G.A. - replaced by 62nd Coy,R.G.A. June 1916.

70th Coy,R.G.A. - replaced by 69th Coy,R.G.A. June 1916.

76th, Coy,R.G.A. - replaced by 85th Coy,R.G.A. June 1916.

Malay States Guides Battery.

4th (Hants)Heavy Bty - left 14/8/16.

10pdr Camel Bty - broken up June 1916.

15pdr Camel Bty - broken up June 1916.

2/1st(Devon)Heavy Bty - arrived 12/8/16. Was renumbered 1105th(Heavy)Bty in April 1917.

The Engineers from 1916 to 1918 were;-

23/3rd Fortress Coy.

5/1st Field Coy - left April 1918.

51/1st Field Coy - joined in January 1918.

There may have been a change over in personnel in 1918/1919 or a long spell of leave may have been granted. As far as I'm aware there was no other cap badge apart from the artillery badge that you will be familiar with. But on the blue cloth helmet they would have worn a special R.G.A. plate.

Regards,

Graham.

Thanks for all that Graham,Thats a good lot of information. The Badge I am talking about looks like Two Lions holding up a piece in the middle, unfortunately I do not have a scanner to show you, I thought it was maybe an old Badge around 1900.?

Niall

Got a digital camera? If so then you'll be able to take a photo and download it to the 'My Pictures' and then add it to here as an attachment. The only problem is I'm off on holiday for a week.

Graham.

Niall,

I think I have found this person in the 1901 census,

Its A long story so bear with me, I don't know how this will come out so if it doesn't work as I hope you may want to contact me direct

Basically Fredricks Grandmother appears to have been widowed and married a William WAKELIN, they appear on the 1871 census at RG10/2913/52/20.

Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish or Township County/Island

William Wakelin abt 1845 Lichfield Head St Mary Staffordshire

Elizabeth Wakelin abt 1833 Lichfield Wife St Mary Staffordshire

Alfred Allsopp abt 1851 Lichfield Son St Mary Staffordshire

Frederick Allsopp abt 1856 Lichfield Son St Mary Staffordshire

Alice Allsopp abt 1866 Lichfield Daughter St Mary Staffordshire

Mary Wakelin abt 1869 Lichfield Daughter St Mary Staffordshire

More follows

1881 census ref RG11/2686/93/13

Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Residence

Alfred Allsopp abt 1853 Staffordshire, England Head Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

Ann Catherine Allsopp abt 1858 Syracuse, America Wife Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

William Allsopp abt 1859 Staffordshire, England Brother Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

George Williams abt 1865 Staffordshire, England Brother in Law Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

Nora Ethel Allsopp abt 1878 Staffordshire, England Daughter Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

Alfred George Allsopp abt 1880 Staffordshire, England Son Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

Lewie Williams abt 1867 Staffordshire, England Sister in Law Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

J.J.Victor Bagnall abt 1866 Hosborn Apprentice Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

Anne Robinson abt 1864 Staffordshire, England Servant Bridge House, Salt & Enson, Staffordshire, England

more follows

1891 census RG12/2137/80/12

Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship to head-of-house Civil parish County

Allsopp, Alfred T abt 1853 Head Salt and Enson Staffordshire

Allsopp, Annie C abt 1858 Wife Salt and Enson Staffordshire

Allsopp, Mona E abt 1878 Daughter Salt and Enson Staffordshire

Allsopp, Alfred G abt 1880 Son Salt and Enson Staffordshire

Allsopp, William F abt 1882 Son Salt and Enson Staffordshire

Allsopp, Frederick C abt 1884 Son Salt and Enson Staffordshire

Allsopp, Harry G abt 1887 Son Salt and Enson Staffordshire

Allsopp, Gwendolone K abt 1889 Daughter Salt and Enson Staffordshire

More follows

Remember the 1871 census details

1901 census ref RG13/2654/38/13

Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island

Frederick Allsopp abt 1886 Lichfield, Staffordshire, England Grandson Lichfield St Mary Staffordshire

Elizabeth Wakelin abt 1829 Lichfield, Staffordshire, England Wife Lichfield St Mary Staffordshire

Thomas Wakelin abt 1876 Lichfield, Staffordshire, England Son Lichfield St Mary Staffordshire

William Wakelin abt 1841 Lichfield, Staffordshire, England Head Lichfield St Mary Staffordshire

I appreciate the birth year looks a long way out but

1) the question on the census was "Age at last birthday" if he was nearly at his birthday it may have been recorded as a year older

2) His grandfather may not have been sure how old he was when competing the census return

3) Illiteracy was still fairly common in 1901 so again Grandad may not have known how old he was.

If this was my family tree I would be satisfied that this is the right person.

If you would like copies of the returns let me know.

Paul

Thank you so much for that Paul, but unfortunately Frederick Charles was born at the 4 Crosses in Hatterton not Lichfield (have birth cert) wish it was him as I cannot find him anywhere on Census, looks like that family are cousins of Frederick Charles.

Niall

Although the Precis I listed earlier does not say so, a check on the original 1891 return shows Frederick C ALLSOPP as having been born in Atherton, Cannock.

Close enough?

Paul

Hi Paul I dont mean to complicate the issue of the 1901 Census but does it say that the Frederick Charles on that one was born at Atherton in Cannock. The 1891 is fine, that is his family.