Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is it a Battalion or Regiment

niall mallon

My Grandfather was in 62coy Royal Garrison Artillary what would his Battalion or Regiment be called, also where would I look to find him on Military Census of 1901, he is not on civillan census he was born 1n 1883 in Staffordshire name Frederick Charles Allsopp, also how would I find out which Royal Garrison Artillary

he joined ,also can you tell me why there are no records of him drawing a pension until 1947 do the pensions office not keep records that long? Sorry for having so many different questions but they are all important. Thank you in advance ;)

Hi Niall,

Wow Slow Down,

If you have been told he was in 62 Company RGA it was pre war and you need a solid start point so you can work bacwards or forwards.

His Medal Index Card is on the NA web site at

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...&resultcount=24

Have you checked if his records are available at the Public Records Office. Is there a mention on Birth Marriage or Death Certificates in the family.

If he married away from Staffs where, who and when could lead you to what unit was there at the time.

Not sure about the pension do you mean millitary or state.

Regards Charles

Sorry about the rush Charles, it gets very frustrating when there are no answers.

First of all there are no military records that survived, second nothing was mentioned on his Marriage Certificate except occupation Soldier he was married in Dublin Ireland in 1920 .When he finished out his time in the Army, he lived in Ireland until he died His pension was Military, maybe 62 coy served in Ireland?

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Niall,

At the outbreak of the great war 62 coy RGA was in Calcutta as part of the 8th indian division.

Have you found out what units were in Dublin in the 1920s.

As for the census he may or may not be recorded. Depends on were he was?

What was his rank? have you any photos?

regards Charles

Thank you for that Charles . There is no real Military History of English Army Units in Ireland when I enquired I was told all that information was taken back to England in 1923 when the British Army left The only information I got was about Royal Flying Corps Aerodrome at Tallaght in the County of Dublin, the R G A were garrisoned there about 1919 dont know what company? my Grandfathers rank was Gunner number 35635 would love to get photo of 62coy do you know where there may be one I have no photos of my Grandfather as a young man he was nearly 40 when he married.

niall,theres a man in the census called frederick allsop born kent,woolwich,hes listed as armourer crew,age 21,could that be your g/father,the census is not reliable when it comes to info especially names,bernard

Thanks for reply Bernard, my Grandfather would have been 18 in 1901 he was bor in 1883 in Staffordshire He was attached to Royal Garrison Artillary as a Gunner could not find him anywhere on Census and I know he went into the Army young.

62 coy RGA were in the Presidency Brigade, Calcutta, part of 8th Lucknow Division. This would be a coastal defence ie fixed unit.

Roop

Hi Naill,

Im no expert and maybe one of the pals can help, are the records for someone recieving a military pension still available? IE not burnt records.

Regards Charles

C,

If he served later than 1922 there will be a service record at the Army personnel office which may also have pension details. He would be 75 in 1947 so one would suspect he drew pension from around 60 or 65(?) as a regular unless the payment was for reasons other than pension purposes ie benevolence etc.

Roop

Thanks Roop and Charles he was 64 in 1947 born 1883 I tried the Army Personnel Office paid my money but no records. He had a pension from Army sent every week or month I think it was about 15 shillings old money was he entitled to pension for long service also what year were they in Calcutta did 62 coy become some other company after War

Hi Naill

62 Coy are in Calcutta at the out break of the Great War.

Coy changed to Batterys but dont know exactly when?

If you are over in Ireland it would be easier to find out what units served in Dublin in 1920.

He is recorded as a soldier on the marriage cert so his address should lead you to a barracks or at least an area. Local history society should be able to tell you what units served there.

His unit may have changed my G. Grandfather started in the RGA and finished in the RE. with a stint in the labour corp in the middle.

Regards Charles

Niall

You may well have excluded him, but there is a Frederick Allsopp appearing on the census [1891 and 1901] born in Blackwell, Derbyshire, the son of John and Martha Allsopp, with siblings Louis, Mary, Wilfred and Harold. Aged 18 in 1901.

It seems likely in view of the unusual spelling of the surname, that this is the same man whose birth was actually registered in Cannock, Staffs in the September quarter of 1883. If you think there's any connection I can send copies of the images

Sue

Thank You so much for that Sue, but my Frederick Allsopp was born in 4 Crosses in Hatterton in 1883 (it was an Inn) his parents were Alfred Thomas Allsopp and Annie Catherine Allsopp I have searched everywhere for him but no luck. his middle name was( Charles)

Hi Charles Thank you for that information I live in Ireland and as I said there is very little information to be had, got this piece on the internet it lists for Tallaght Dublin in 1919 v Medium Brigade RGA-15, 17,20,21 medium Btys Tallaght. as I said I am a complete novice regarding military matters so I could not make head or tail of this info did 62 coy become any of these brigades any help appreciated.

regarding his address on marriage cert it just said Tallaght no name of barracks.

Hi Charles if you cannot get information on that site just type in

v medium brigade RGA-15,17,20,21 medium btys, Tallaght on your search site

• 3 weeks later...

Hi naill,

Sorry I missed your last post the only snippets I have found are, 62 Coy,

1900 in South Africa

1901 in China

1906 in Rangoon Burma

Regards Charles

Hello All,

62nd Coy,R.G.A. were formed on 1/1/1902 by the redesignation of No.2 Coy, Southern Division R.G.A.

24/2/1920 62nd Coy,R.G.A. absorbed the personnel of 61st Coy,R.G.A. at Aden.

1/6/1924 for unknown reasons 61st Coy,R.G.A. was reformed and personnel of 62nd Coy,R.G.A. were considered to have been absorbed into 61st Coy,R.G.A. which was then redesignated 4th(Heavy)Battery, Royal Artillery.

17/1/1941 4th(Heavy)Battery,R.A. was redesignated 4th(Coast)Battery,R.A.

The following Fire Commands,R.G.A. were formed by A.O.287, October 1918 in Ireland;-

31(Cork)F.C.,R.G.A. at Berehaven formerly 49th Coy,R.G.A.(formerly Cork,R.G.A.(S.R.*).

32(Cork)F.C.,R.G.A. at Berehaven formerly 10th Coy,R.G.A. & 43rd Coy,R.G.A.(formerly Cork,R.G.A.(S.R.).

34(Antrim)F.C.,R.G.A. at Belfast formerly 15th Coy,R.G.A.(formerly Antrim,R.G.A.(S.R.).

35(Donegal)F.C.,R.G.A. at Lough Swilly formerly 15th Coy,R.G.A.(formerly Antrim,R.G.A.(S.R.).

*Special Reserve.

In Ireland you had the following Coast Batteries,R.G.A.;-

'Q'(Coast)Bty,R.G.A. formed 27/1/21 at Queenstown formerly 64th Coy, R.G.A. &

15th Coy,R.G.A.

'Q'(Coast)Bty,R.G.A. became 20th(Pack)Bty,R.A. 1/6/1924.

64th Coy,R.G.A. reformed and became 37th(Heavy)Bty,R.A. 1/6/1924.

'R'(Coast)Bty,R.G.A. formed 27/1/21 at Queenstown formerly 32(Cork)F.C.,R.G.A.(fmly 10th Coy,R.G.A & 43rd Coy,R.G.A.), became 33rd(Heavy)Bty,R.A. 1/6/1924

'U'(Coast)Bty,R.G.A. formed 1922 at Berehaven formerly 32nd Coy,R.G.A., became 3rd(Heavy)Bty,R.A. 1/6/1924.

'V'(Coast)Bty,R.G.A. formed 1922 at Berehaven formerly 31(Cork)F.C.,R.G.A.(fmly 49th Coy,R.G.A.), became 34th(Heavy)Bty,R.A. 1/6/1924.

'W'(Coast)Bty,R.G.A. formed 1922 at Queenstown formerly 99th Coy,R.G.A., became 16th(Heavy)Bty,R.A. 1/6/1924.

'X'(Coast)Bty,R.G.A. formed 1922 at Queenstown formerly 42nd Coy,R.G.A., became 18th(Heavy)Bty,R.A. 1/6/1924.

'Y'(Coast)Bty,R.G.A. formed 1922 at Lough Swilly formerly 14th Coy,R.G.A., became 15th(Heavy)Bty,R.A. 1/6/1924.

Well I'll leave you lot to sort that out.

Regards to all,

Graham.

Naill, Graham,

My apologies

And is reference to the:-

1900 QSA rolls to the 62nd Coy.

1901 China Rolls To 62nd Coy and 91st Coy. 43 men of the 62nd Coy recieved the KSA but all are RGA reserves.

1906 Memorial in Rangoon to the 62nd Coy

Never took into consideration the Divisional sysem being abolished on 1 Jan 1902

Any Information on the Great War deployments Graham?

Regards Charles