Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8 Manchester next to Big Cross

themonsstar

Do you think these are UK troops?  Any ideas?

Almost definately UK soldiers, and pre-1921.

Dave.

adrian,i dont think he knows,thats why he put it on here to see if you folks had any clues,i have noticed one thing,their uniforms are spotless,non appear to have any wound stripes or overseas chevrons or anything at all,including medal ribbons,i think dave is bang on with his approx date,i think these are 1919/20s replacement troops,as i said earlier,the gloucs badge can be mistaken for the manchesters badge from a distance,bernard

Oh, Oh! Eye test time, Pete! It is 1914 - I've enlarged it several sizes.

Welcome to the topic!

adrianjohn

adrian,i dont think he knows,thats why he put it on here to see if you folks had any clues,i have noticed one thing,their uniforms are spotless,non appear to have any wound stripes or overseas chevrons or  anything at all,including medal ribbons,i think dave is bang on with his approx date,i think these are 1919/20s replacement troops,as i said earlier,the gloucs badge can be mistaken for the manchesters badge from a distance,bernard

I understand that, Bernard. I agree with you about the uniforms etc. - but I think that the guy fourth from the left might have a chevron on his left sleeve and a badge above it. Can you make this out? Something else I've noticed when enlarging the picture - there is more depth than I originally thought. The ground around their feet and the base of the cross is slightly sloping. Just visible behind that,is a different sort of landscape - more 'earthy'.

You don't think I'm getting a bee in my bonnet do you?! :o

cheers. adrianjohn