Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8 Manchester next to Big Cross

themonsstar

Two mysteries! I can't say where this is but can add that the legend is usually quoted as 'in hoc signo vinces' or, 'in this sign thou shalt conquer' so there's a word missing.

Emperor Constantine, on his way to battle, is said to have seen a cross appear in the sky, carrying these words. He had the message painted on his standard and went on to victory. The cross in the picture looks so out of proportion, it could almost be faked - I'm not saying it is. Just looks a bit that way.

adrianjohn

The legend is also seen as written - meaning "In this you shall conquer" (using modern-day language).

It's a western Christian cross, rather than Orthodox, so perhaps nearer home rather than further away.

And I understand what adrianjohn means about the proportions. It must be 30 feet high. Does it say "1914" at the bottom? If so, then it is presumably, post-war. Where were the 8th in early 20s?

John

It looks like the cross on the Chemin des Dames, but I'm doing this from memory, the state of which nowadays is some doubt.

Terry Reeves

Where were the 8th in early 20s?

Charleroi in early 1919. Demobbed and home by the end of the year.

Dave.

In which case, they got that memorial up sharpish.

John

Perhaps it's nothing to do with the war and was actually erected in 1914, hence the date?

Dave.

john/dave/roy,just as a matter of interest,do these men look like they have been through a war,could they be replacements for those who were going home,and when was the cross erected,i dont think it would have survived long during the war and it looks unweathered[new]is it a french memorial cross do you think,we may be assuming its british because of the soldiers,bernard

It's a western Christian cross, rather than Orthodox, so perhaps nearer home rather than further away.

And I understand what adrianjohn means about the proportions. It must be 30 feet high.  Does it say "1914" at the bottom? If so, then it is presumably, post-war. Where were the 8th in early 20s?

John

John/Terry: The more you look at this the more curious it becomes. Well, it does to me, anyway.

It looks as though it's made from concrete (?) but look at the way the the cross bar appears to be slotted in. I doubt that anyone erecting this would have just balanced the bar and then stuck the top piece on. Reinforced with iron work? Too complex and expensive for something that just doesn't look permanent. If it was made from wood, would it be so substantial?

I've had a good surf around and I've not been able to find anything remotely like it.

What it does remind me of, is one of those early 'atmospheric' film

sets, and this is reinforced by the totally barren and bland background.

adrianjohn

adrian,and the new concrete bedding,its spotless,bernard

Absolutely, Bernard. I wonder if we'll ever solve this one!?

adrianjohn

And another thing.......I now think it looks odd how low down the year is. Hardly a prominent commemoration.

Hi Bernard

No i got it from the Corn Ex in Manchester years ago so put it down as a Manchester regt one. cheers Roy

Good question, Bernard. And the answer from Roy does put a bit of a different 'spin' on things - it broadens the field. Whether that's helpful or not, is another matter!

Roy - have you tried enlarging badges etc.? I'll have a go later.

adrianjohn

I've been trying to send an attachment, zooming in on the soldiers, who I've managed to make a lot clearer. Problem! I keep getting the message that I've exceeded my limit, which is a bit odd. I've no other attachments out there now, having cleared them all in an effort to send this one!.

Any ideas?

adrianjohn

Thanks for this, John - I'll have another crack at it.

adrianjohn

Made it - thanks to John! Looks like a mix of officers and ORs? I wonder if they're UK troops, or maybe commonwealth?

adrianjohn

john/adrian,in my early days i made a mistake with a picture which i thought were mancs regt,it turned out to be gloucesters,their badge can easily be mistaken for the manchesters from a distance,bernard

by the way,roys gone over to france and belgium for a week so he wont be able to reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody any further thoughts on this?!

adrianjohn

hiya adrian,roy is still in france[his post] but he may be on tomorow with some info,bernard

Looks like a mix of officers and ORs? 

Can't see any officers on this photo ?

Dave.

hiya adrian,roy is still in france[his post] but he may be on tomorow with some info,bernard

Cheers, Bernard. But will he come back with the answer?!!

adrianjohn

Can't see any officers on this photo ?

Dave.

My mis-interpretation. I think the soldier to the right of the cross (as you look at it), leaning against it, is an NCO. On the stored version I have in my computer, which is more discernable, he has an inverted chevron on his right sleeve. Do you think these are UK troops? Any ideas?

adrianjohn