Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kireçtepe-Suvla

The Plummed Goose

Steve,

A good map of the Sandbag Ridge area is in one of the NZ unit hstories - sorry, don't have it with me at the moment and can't remember which (think, though, it's the Auckland Mounted Rifles). However, this is the area:

post-854-1118658781.jpg

However, this is the area:

Looks like I possibly didn't show the area enough to the south on my second map. Here it is...

Dave.

post-357-1118667672.jpg

Having said that they are expensive, I will add that they are quite valuable to anyone who wants to "see" the terrain. I have spent a good deal of time with several of them and consider it time well spent as it gives you a good feel for distances, deployment and terrain. Place names caused me some trouble with the Salonika maps (matching places named in WD's and my grandfather's photos with places on the maps) until I discovered that, for movement orders and descriptions, they used place names from the 1908 general area map (which is included) and that there are many places for which there is more than one name, which cleared up a good deal. They have been scanned at a high enough resolution that you can zoom in as close as you want and still see perfectly clearly. You can almost see the troops in the trenches (OK - I've been looking at them TOO long!). And they print up well so that one can chart movements. I've found them quite helpful.

Mike Morrison

Hello All,

Just to add a bit of an answer to the original question of the "high tide mark" on the Kiretch Tepe Sirt ridge, here is what Bryan Cooper says in The Tenth (Irish) Division at Gallipoli:

"The result of the failure of the right attack was that while we held the northern slope of the Kiretch Tepe Sirt up to and even beyond the Pimple, yet on the southern face of the hill we had been unable to advance our line much beyond the trenches which we held when operations on the 15th began. As a consequence, the line held by the Division somewhat resembled a Z. The upper horizontal was represented by a line of trench running from the Gulf of Saros to the most advanced point on the crest of the ridge that was reached by the charge of the 6th Munsters and 6th Dublins. This trench was exposed to fire not only from the hills that continued the line of the Kiretch Tepe Sirt eastward, but also from a spur known as 103, which ran northward into the sea. The diagonal which joined the two horizontals of the Z was represented by a line running along the northern or seaward slope of Kiretch Tepe Sirt just below the crest. The crest itself, since it was liable to swept by shrapnel and machine-gun fire, and since its rocky nature made it difficult to entrench, was not held except at the lower horizontal, which represented the trench running past Jephson's Post, from which the attack had begun."

Regards,

Liam.

Thanks Liam,

but it means .... ZIGZAG ...for the frontline ...

That is why I found rumjar pieces ...

eric

Dear All,

Is there anybody out there who has taken GPS coordinates of certain places ??

If yes please let me have them ....

eric