Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Australian soldiers

John_Hartley

Guest meltrky

Dear Andrew P

The NAA, ANU & AFL all have clearly defined sets of rules, which have been implemented for the wellfare of all participants. A limit of 5 digitisations per annum per client was apparently considered to be in the common good.

That persons from the far south west of this great continent would have difficulty in interpreting and applying such rules comes as no surprise to us T'othersiders.

My compliments to DC.

Yours etc

Lucy G

Guest meltrky

Dear Dirty D

One can hope the workload you are undertaking is not on behalf of the licra loving lords of the Manor.

It does appear a little odd that the records, warts and all, of the ori9gional Anzacs should be available to such a wide audience.

The world wide interest in this particular topic, adequately illustrates what Historians have been trying to prove for years.

All negatives associated with the Anzac Myth were caused by allowing non-Australian born men join their hallowed ranks.

Have a nice day now, Y'hear

Lucy.

Guest meltrky

Dear Jim & Kim

Yes, it is a well known fact that the Convict System was expensive & inequitable.

The esteemed founder of our Australian Dynasty was transported for "Larceny of one fathom of cordage".

The fact that the Squire's Stud Stallion was "attached" to the rope was considered to be aggravating.

The greatest outfall from the ill-conceived policy was that the Toffs soon realised their greatest mistake. Instead of coming out here themselves and leaving the riff-raff over there,........well you've said it all.

Come in Spinner????????

Sorry! Is that some form of Heads-up?

Cheerio

Lucy G

Dear Andrew P

The NAA, ANU & AFL all have clearly defined sets of rules, which have been implemented for the wellfare of all participants. A limit of 5 digitisations per annum per client was apparently considered to be in the common good.

That persons from the far south west of this great continent would have difficulty in interpreting and applying such rules comes as no surprise to us T'othersiders.

My compliments to DC.

Yours etc

Lucy G

There's a chap in Victoria with a lot of pseudonyms you would get on very well with Lucy...............

Dear Peter B

Five More? Well! That shouldnt stretch the Sale Budget too far!

Lucy

Lucy,

getting off the topic but please explain Sale Budget for a mexican :D

Peter

There's a chap in Victoria with a lot of pseudonyms you would get on very well with Lucy...............

Andrew,

I know its your birthday (or was) but please behave yourself :P

Peter :lol:

You're not suggesting that weird bloke who got banned (several times) has signed up again as a woman, are you?

John

Peter

Yes, probably. Folk have offered to help so quickly it's taken me by surprise. I'd only posted a general info request and I havnt got my paperwork fully organised yet.

I'll try and sort things over the weekend and drop you a PM one way or the other.

John

Peter (and others who offered)

Many thanks for all offers - but I've now been able to sort this out in Stockport. Some of the cases were already digitised. Three (all beginning with "S") are listed as not available - but I've written to the National Archives explaining the project and asking them to consider a release.

John

Darling Bonza, soz, Lucy - I assume the operation was a success? :lol:

How the devil are you? (says me, now having a sleepless night thinking of aristocrats in lycra)

Richard

John,

any time as the offer is always open.

Peter

If I may revert to the original topic – I don’t know if I’ve slipped through a crack in the system but I’ve never had a request for digital copies of personnel records refused by the NAA. I’ve found that entry through the AWM portal and searching as a guest has proven more efficient than registration.

The link below is to a site that has compiled much of the data from embarkation rolls, nominal rolls, and other records. The searchable database is extremely efficient and provides more information than that available through the NAA summaries in their database. Using the site below is a quick way of determining what records should be requested from the NAA rather than trawling through the AWM pdfs and requesting a lot of ‘possibles’.

http://www.aif.adfa.edu.au:8080/index.html

Hope this of some use.

GCW

Thanks - it all helps, as this will be the first time I've needed to research Australian soldiers.

I still have a very small number of men commemorated on the town's memorial as serving with "overseas contingents", who I have not been able to identify as yet. They might have served with the Aussies; they might have served with another force.

John

(Later addition: Definately a recommended site. It's allowed me to eliminate the likelihood that my "unidentifieds" were Australians. )

Edited by John_Hartley