Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching Australian soldiers

John_Hartley

I see, from the Australian National Archives website, that it's possible to request a free digital version of a soldier's papers. Great news!

But the downside is that you are limited to five requests per year.

Potentially, I have about 15 guys that I'd like to research (all emigres from sunny Stockport). Are there any dodges that can get round the limit of five - other than enlisting the help of a couple of friends? Or is the project going to take me 3 years?

John

Hi John, I have been on that site. If you are lucky half of your list may have been digitisied already.

I think when they are digitisied they stay that way.

So there may be less than 15 to activate!

It does not appear that you have to send a request again, one person interested is enough for a record to be permanately digitisied.

It might take you 3 years to read it all!

NZMEL

John,

You could always register under a few different user names, perhaps not too ethical....after a3 month gap of using the site I'd misplaced my username/password and simply re-registered.

Jim

John,

The records stay digitilized once requested. A request takes anywhere between four to six weeks. Check often because someone else may of already put in a request for your soldier. The friends idea is the way to go :ph34r:

Last year I wanted to look at a particular soldier, but having run out of requests could not, then a week later, bingo, their records were up.

Cheers

Kim

I used up my 5 requests on about the 10th of January ;)

If I need any now I tend to get friends or people at work to order them on my behalf, but Jim's suggestion is probably easier.

Guest meltrky

As an Australian citizen, I feel compelled to register my disgust at the apparent wide-spread abuse of my Government's largesse.

Quite apart from the moral, and other implications of such disregard for fellow Australians, that supposedly mature adults could apparently gain satisfaction from bragging about their duplicity beggars discussion.

meltrky,

Given the Government's largesse comes out of taxes from our wages, I have no problem in recommending using friends to get more soldiers records digitilized, remembering that the people requesting the records are doing so for historical and family research, which can only help to keep alive the contributions of these soldiers in making Australia a proud nation, and a country who remembers the efforts of the AIF.

Lest We Forget.

Yours sincerely,

Kim

A contributor to the AWM in buying from their shop and a tax payer.

Please could someone post a direct link to the request page. I found it a couple of months ago but now I've identified which 5 files I want to request I can't find the exact page.

It truly is a wonderful resource.

Regards,

Matthew

Guest meltrky

Kim

I have never been able to accept the idea that dishonesty is OK providing the target is our government.

That seems to contradict the little aussie battler credo of a fair go for all.

The restriction would have been placed so that all with a genuine research need would get a turn. It would prevent those with other agendas, or from other lands, clogging up the system.

We should appreciate, not abuse, any kindness others, including our Governmemt bestow upon us. If abuse becomes widespread we all know what will happen and who will suffer.

Lucy

Lucy,

Why should those from other lands not be able to use our historical resources, we use theirs?

It is not outright dishonesty, it is, what Australians are good at, bending the rules. Given that is in the interests of research, I still don't see how it can hurt.

What do you mean by those with other agendas?

Given that John is trying to research soldiers from his home town, don't you that means genuine research?

Cheers

Kim

Edited by Ozzie1

This really is a great resource, and the concept of allowing people to order a particular persons record once the decision had been made to digitise the lot anyway is commendable. In fact when you think about it its not a very government like decision, but very welcome.

Lucy, that is one thing to remember that a decision was made to do the digitising anyway.

By the way, I still think you are kidding, aren't you?

Bob

As an Australian citizen, I feel compelled to register my disgust at the apparent wide-spread abuse of my Government's largesse.

Quite apart from the moral, and other implications of such disregard for fellow Australians, that supposedly mature adults could apparently gain satisfaction from bragging about their duplicity beggars discussion.

:lol::lol:

John

As the others have stated, you will often find that the papers are already digitised; even if you do log a request, it is worth making periodic checks before due date, as someone else might have ordered it previously - generally relative or owner of medals - or it has reached the 'to do' list. The intention is to have the entire catalogue online; making a request merely bumps it up the list.

I found them to be totally proficient when I contacted them regarding a set of papers; very quick and even sent an email to explain the timeframe and how to access the digitised images online.

Now such nefarious practices have been exposed, I will be forced to order at least 300 random copies using every computer to which I have access!

Richard

We should appreciate, not abuse, any kindness others, including our Governmemt bestow upon us. If abuse becomes widespread we all know what will happen and who will suffer.

Lucy

I take it, then, that this wasnt an offer to help me out? ;)

However, Lucy, not being a meanspirited sore loser sort of guy, please get in touch if ever you need research doing in the Stockport area. I'll be only too happy to oblige. B)

My thanks to others for the advice (and the off-Forum offers to become pseudo-JohnHartleys)

John

I take it, then, that this wasnt an offer to help me out?  ;)

However, Lucy, not being a meanspirited sore loser sort of guy, please get in touch if ever you need research doing in the Stockport area. I'll be only too happy to oblige.  B)

My thanks to others for the advice (and the off-Forum offers to become pseudo-JohnHartleys)

John

:lol:

The fact is that all these records are going to be digistised. The files that are requested by researchers are just being digistised before those that are not requested.

The funds from the Gov't have already been assigned to this project so how is requesting digistisation of files dishonest?

Or was this a joke and I just missed the punchline :huh:

Guest jleslie

John,

I'd be glad to request 5 files be digitized on your behalf if you give me the names. I've already had all my own family files digitized so am more than happy to help you out if you wish.

Jennie Leslie

Where Lucy's posts really a joke? I think so but.........

Come back Lucy, where are you?

Bob ;)

John,

as a long suffering Aussie taxpayer who has not used any of his quota yet, PM me and I will do at least 5 for you. :D

Peter :P

Thanks Kim.

I was being blind as usual!

I've used up my quota in one fell swoop. Is it calendar year (as in 2005) or will I have to wait until June 1st 2006 for my next order?

Regards,

Matthew

As a British citizen, I feel compelled to register my disgust at the apparent wide-spread abuse of my Government's largesse. My great great grandfather paid taxes so that many of you could enjoy free passage to the land of plenty. enjoy the sun and rich fruits of that land. And you don't even want to share some lousy records with us. Me thinks we shall get our own back on the playing fields of England soon.

Naw, is that cricket or League or Union. Cricket, we'll win, League, an even bet, Union, we'll win.

:lol:

Sorry, it was my great great grandfather that came from Cornwell and I don't think he earnt enough to pay taxes. Now, grandmother, she came from Scotland. But Yes, I certainly do enjoy this country, so much so that I'd never , ever want to live anywhere else.

And Jim, you are welcome to our records anytime you like!!!!

Cheers

Kim

Guest meltrky

Dear John H

Correct. It was not an offer to help you circumvent a rational restriction imposed by the Authorities.

However, I am not mean-spirited in any way either.

As I have no research interests in the Stockpot area at the monent, I will decline your kind offer of assistance. I am currently working through the Victorian "W"

volunteers. Should you have an interest in any men from listings for areas between Warburton and Wharrapanillamullalacoopaline, please feel free to give me a bell.

Yours trueley

Lucy G