Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reading material for Children

Alison Arnold

'Stop Throwing those b______ spears!' is a tenacious example of a line people always quote which never actually appears in the original film. It seems to be a transfer of Caine's line from 'The Italian Job 'You're only supposed to blow the b____ doors off!' The other odd thing is that people always say it in a Michael Caine cockney voice, when of course he plays an 'upper class twit' officer in the film. All a bit like 'Lions Led by Donkeys' which refuses to go away, no matter how many times its authenticity is challenged. It appears in several GCSE textbooks and I'm waiting with my sniper's rifle poised for it to be used in an examination question. (Phew, got back to World War One just in time.)

You are absolutely right Mark. I only used the line because it has become synomynous with the film, but why, I don't know!

I have watched the film numerous times and Michael Caine never said it. You are also right about the accent. One further point is that the Zulu assegai is not a thowing spear, it is a stabbing spear for close quarter fighting.

My appologies for perpetuating the myth, I deserve to fail your exam ;)

Tim

Any chance of a resit? B)

I'd recommend: Letters to Henrietta, by Nell Marshall, Cambridge University Press ISBN 0-521-47625-9. First published 1998. "Henrietta's brothers wrote to her for years, first from school and then from the battlefields of the First World War. This book uses their letters to tell the true and moving story of their experiences."

Regards Daniel

Hello all thanksfor all your replies. I think I order some of these through the library and see how he goes with them.

Thanks once again

Ali :D

Guest Hussar
Lee:

If you know a way of boring a 2 year old to sleep I would love to know the secret!! :lol:

Ali

How about Basil Liddel Hart's "History of the First World War"

It took me about 6 months to get through it because everytime I picked it up, my eyes would be drooping in about 10 minutes!!

:blink:

• 2 months later...

I have just been listening to Go4It, the children's programme on Radio 4. They ran an interview between a counple of young readers and Michael Morpurgo, the author of Private Peaceful. Here is the publisher's blurb:

Private Peaceful

Client: Michael Morpurgo

Category: Children

UK Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books

UK Publication Date: 06/10/03

Set during the First World War this is the story of two brothers, Charlie and Tommo.

Filled with patriotism they join up and are sent to the Front never imagining how horrific it will be. Charlie is wounded and sent home on leave. He marries his childhood sweetheart Molly but has to return to France. He realises then that what is happening is morally wrong and that men are senselessly being sent into the jaws of death.

The story reaches a climax when Charlie tries to persuade his Sergeant not to proceed with an order that will bring certain death to many of his men. Tommo is slightly injured and Charlie against orders refuses to leave his side which brings the novel to a shocking finale. Tommo realises how strong Charlie's love is for him and that together with a knowledge of what is right are the most important things in life.

This poignant and dramatic story is Morpurgo's best yet.

Hi Kate,

Thanks for that. I really must get that one if only for the bigger ones. I have got Luc some of the books mentioned previously which he is quite happily reading.

Luc is quite a character and his teachers are not sure how seriously to take him!! He'll be 7 on 12th November and the way things are going he'll be asking his own questions soon!! :lol:

Regards

Ali