Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reading material for Children

Alison Arnold

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good childrens book dealing with WW1 that can be read by or to a six year old.

The reason I ask is my six year old son is showing an interest in the First World War and I don't know how to encourage him without putting him off.

So far he has read Farm Boy by Michael Morpurgo - This is the book which started him off -he thought it was going to all be about farms.

Hoping somebody has some suggestions. He reads extremely well for his age.

Regards

Ali

Guest Hill 60

I am hoping that the Official History of the War (1916) will suitable bedtime reading material for a 2 year old. My plan is to bore her to sleep by reading it in a dull monotone as well!

Actually, I would also be interested in hearing Pals recommendations as I know some parents who are looking for this sort of info.

My eight year old daughter loves readng the Horrible Histories series. I believe they do one on WW1 which is both informative and entertaining for the younger reader. Its a kind of 1066 and all that but focused on one particular period per book.

Guest tintin

I was n't much older than him when I first saw the Great War TV series with my Dad and Gran, OK some bits might be a bit scary and others go over your head, but it teaches a lot and there's a lot to see. We used to have some really good discussions afterwards.

My Dad would also get me out one book at a time on his adult library ticket letting me choose, perhaps you could try that? Be prepared to have to explain a lot...

Re: Horrible Histories. As a History teacher I have slightly mixed views about them. In the main I think they're very good and generally historically accurate in detail. Anything that encourages an interest in the past among the young can't be that bad, and this series has struck a chord with a lot of children. Underneath the humour they do have a definite 'political' slant which is more noticeable as they come up to date (But then so did the L. Du Garde Peach 'Ladybird' books I loved as a child). My one major quibble is that perhaps they do subtly reinforce the all too common condescending assumption that people in the past were somehow less intelligent than we are, which I have always tried to challenge in my teaching. But perhaps I'm being an over-sensitive fuddy-duddy. My real bone of contention is the way they've now chopped up the Horrible Histories series into one of those magazine partworks which they then flog to the unsuspecting public at an exorbitant price!

'The War Game' by Michael Foreman is a very popular illustrated childrens' book on the Great War. It's some time since I perused a copy so I can't comment on the reading age-suspect it is 9+. It is based on the unlikely scenario of a group of friends joining up at the outbreak of war, undergoing lightning training and being in France in time for the 1914 Christmas Truce.

'The War Game' by Michael Foreman is a very popular illustrated childrens' book on the Great War. It's some time since I perused a copy so I can't comment on the reading age-suspect it is 9+. It is based on the unlikely scenario of a group of friends joining up at the outbreak of war, undergoing lightning training and being in France in time for the 1914 Christmas Truce.

Mark, we also bought The War Game for our daughter but decided it wasn't quite suitable for her age. We are saving it until 9 or 10 when she may be able to understand the story better.

Nice to see good quality childrens books on the subject.

There's a cartoon book entitled "Henry's Notebook" (available from the Cloth Hall), which I thought was fantastic for a child (maybe a little older than 6) basically covering joining up ,through 3rd Ypres and into 1918.

One advantage is that it's also published in French and Dutch as well as English, so can also help with languages (the reason I bought all 3 for myself!!!)

Dave.

My lad Edmund read 'War Game' when he was only six, and he understood it with no problems. He still reads it on and off now, and I am looking forward to reading it to Poppy in due course. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Ali

Perhap's this sounds a bit of an odd recommendation, but I've had great success with a child of similar age [not my own!!] and 'Harry's War - Experiences in the Suicide Club in World War One'. Although not for actual reading, the pictures by the author throughout the book are drawn in wonderful 'naive' style, and seem to appeal to children a lot. They can form the basis of good discussion and information. It's really hard to describe without seeing it, but there are cartoon-like drawings of things like a soldiers sing-song in an estaminet, foot inspections, in the trenches, throwing bombs, Christmas, and of course a few of death; but no blood, gore, or anything frightening. All you need is a bit of background knowledge to go with the pictures, and you've got that already.

Regards - Sue

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good childrens book dealing with WW1 that can be read by or to a six year old......

Ali,

Are you really sure you want to do this?

Guest stevebec

What got me deeply interested in the WWI was the first publication of Purnell's History of WWI.

It came out in the sixties and I read each a number of times as I waited for my next copy to arrive each week.

I think you can find the full series in most old book shops maybe it would by nice for him as they have great photo's and a short story.

These lead me to the Offical History's which expanded my interest.

S.B

I agree with Clive,

is it wise to introduce a six year old to the horrors of WW1. I have had an interest from about sixteen, because of history at school, and a brother that bashed my ear, at the age of 47 I am still trying to get my head around the horror of it :(

garyem1

Ali,

Visiting my local lower school a while back (where the headmaster is keen on WW1), I noticed a paperback called (I think) War Horse. It may be better suited to a slightly older child, but you could always keep a copy on top of the wardrobe in readiness...

Thank you all for your replies. I'll see what I can get hold of. I did see another book at a school book fair recently called Why do we Have Poppy Day". That looked a good book but somebody else snapped it up before I had a chance.

Thanks to all for suggesting Michael Foremans War Game I forgotten we had a copy. I have made a foray into my teenage sons bedroom and rescued it!

Kate is War Horse also by Michael Morpurgo?

Sue and Dave I'll keep my eyes open for those two.

Mark; I tend to agree with you on the Horrible Histories series I do have a copy of the WW1 book but that has been purloined by his older sister.

Clive and Gary, Yes I do know what I am doing :D Luc is not your normal six year old. He is mature beyond his years. I also believe that they have the right to know what happened not in every graphic detail at this age obviously.

Also with children you have to catch them when you can. I left it to late with my oldest son and he is totally disinterested. Surely a few suitable carefully chosen reading books at this age is not going to hurt. :rolleyes:

Thanks once again to you all.

Regards

Ali

I think that you have to take into account the personality of the individual child, but my interest in both world wars started at a very early age. I went to see Lawrence of Arabia with my dad when it first came out and I must have been about five or six at the time. I've only see it once since but I could vividly remember whole sequences, and they didn't shy away from the horrors (eg the attack on the train). I don't think it did me any psychological harm, although there may be some who would beg to differ!

Dave (Heritage Plus)

Just followed the link you gave - sorry missed it earlier. The DK eyewitness books are rreally good we have several already. I didn't realise they did one on WWI. My 6 year old copes well with the other books in this series so I think I'll get him this one as well.

Lee:

If you know a way of boring a 2 year old to sleep I would love to know the secret!! :lol:

Ali

Guest JoyLFC

I cant recommend the books by Lawrence Harris too highly. His first book Jackie was a Hero takes twins Polly and Tommy Matherson on a trip back in time where they watch the horrors of the Somme unfold around them as they follow a relative through the battle. He was long thought to have deserted but they discover the trutn about him.

His second book dont shout at the guns has Tommy and Polly visiting the battlefields again, this time with American relatives and travelling back ti 1918 where they follow the adventures of a rookie pilot in the US army.

The third book is entitled The train now standing in no mans land and follows two railwaymen as they go to war more to protect their beloved engine than through heroism.

I have used all three books with classes of children from 8 to 11 and although I have had to change some sentences so that the language is simpler, they have loved ever page.

the books are available through Ottakers or most leading book stores or from Lawrences company direct The Cartoon Cave.

ISBN 0952683407 Jackie was a hero

ISBN 0952683415 Dont shout at the guns

ISBN 0952683423 The train now standing in no mans land.

Guest JoyLFC

Mark your dad must have been of the same thinking as mine. My first memories of the cinema were Lawrence of Arabia, Zulu (Which is my favourite film of all time and I still watch it on video at least three times a year) and Waterloo with Rod Steiger. My dad was so embarrassed at me crying at the end because I was sorry for Napoleon that he wheeled me out BEFORE the National Anthem.

I too love 'Zulu' but it has rather an undeserved reputation for being historically accurate (a bit like Lawrence in fact). I once got into a discussion with then-Defence Minister Nicholas Soames on this topic. 'Zulu' is his all-time favourite film, too.

Hi,

not really a book for young children, I would recommend

'Remembrance' by Theresa Breslin for older children.

A book that deals with the war through letters from the front, to their sweethearts back home.

I enjoyed it immensely.

Or as it's says or the back of the book.

'They will never forget.... Nor will anyone who picks up this novel'

Ian.

I agree Zulu is a brilliant film.

The first time I visited the South African battlefields I was disappointed to find that Rorke's Drift is nothing like how it is dipicted in the film. In fact the real Rorke's Drift is about a hundred miles from the location where the film was shot. That was in the Royal Natal National Park which is at the foot of the beautiful and famous Amphitheatre in the Drakensberg Mountains. I have been there on numerous occaisions, and every time half expect to see Michael Caine come riding round the bluff or to see the skyline of the surrounding foothills come alive with the sihlouettes of thousands of warriors!

Its a real example of how film make believe can be better than the real thing.

"Will you stop throwing those bloody spears!"

Tim

:unsure: (Before I get deleted by the Moderator for straying from the topic of Childrens's books or the Great War let me establish a link for the latter. The Battle of Isandlwana preceded the Battle of Rorke's Drift. One of the few people who managed to escape from the massacre at Isandlwana was a young Lt Smith- Dorien later General Sir Horace Smith-Dorien famous for his rearguard action in the Battle of Le Cateau in 1914) B)

Guest JoyLFC

Can I endorse what was said about "Remembrance" by T Breslin. I have read this book to my class of 11 year olds and they followed it well. She has also brought out a book called Death and Glory Boys a modern setting about a cadet force, young peoples attitude to the military and a bombing campaign. Good for older children certainly.

Last point on Zulu. I really want to go to South Africa and see the mission station etc. But I think it will spoil it for me. I did go and visit Hooky's grave however in Gloucestershire some years ago. Not as hot and sunny perhaps but still a nice moment.