Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arlington Cemetery

andigger

Robbie - Here are a couple more JFK pics... look at the bottom and you can see the flame.

post-1626-1118190711.jpg

post-1626-1118190728.jpg

Hello Andy

Thanks very much for your efforts, they are fantastic.

It may have been a strange request asking for a picture of Joes grave as there are several examples on the web but in my mind having you go to his grave is nearly as good as a visit from me personally.

And Lee Marvin....quite a bonus.

Many thanks again

Andy

Andy,

I know I didnt ask for any photos but have read this thread and can I say how fascinated I was to see your photos. I'm glad you answered the question about the flags as I was just about to ask.

Well done for posting them. I really enjoyed them .

Jayne W :)

Is there a searchable database of war dead buried here?

Robbie -

Sorry I missed this question earlier. Yes there is a searchable database, but its easiest if the internment was after 1997. Those buried since then have been included in a database which is searchable by a computer in the Visitor Center.

Prior to 1997 all the records are on microfiche, which means each film has to be looked through according to name and year of internment. Its also not set up to allow the requestor to do the searching. You give over the vital details and someone else looks it up. They are very helpful, but I feel like I am asking too much when I have a list of more than 5 graves I am looking for.

Andy

Andy, Just a public thank you for the pictures that you got for me. I had you scooting around all over the place and I am very grateful, Jim

ps you found some who were plantation slaves. Out of interest, and as Arlington National Cemetery is of such an age, was the cemetery segregated into black and white at one time ?

you found some who were plantation slaves. Out of interest, and as Arlington National Cemetery is of such an age, was the cemetery segregated into black and white at one time ?

There are several answers to that question ... all of which are yes.

When Arlington was the Custis-Lee family home the slaves were always buried separately from the master's family as was the custom on all plantations. When the occupation forces started to bury the dead on the property during the Civil War they were divided up by unit as far as that could be idenitfied. Since the US army was segragated until the mid 20th century the burials were also segregated.

Since segregation is no longer the case I think it has turned up some interesting relics. As you mentioned the slave graves were so remote and off the beaten path from anywhere I had been in Arlington before it was very interesting to see. Also the Buffalo Soldiers were all buried together, and this gave them a greater cohesion and identity within the cemetary that I think many of the white units from the same time period loose.

Andy