Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arlington Cemetery

andigger

Although I am local to this site and can go anytime, I am planning on spending some extended time at the cemetery over the next couple of weeks. If anyone wants a particular picture let me know and I can fit it in.

Andy

Although I am local to this site and can go anytime, I am planning on spending some extended time at the cemetery over the next couple of weeks.  If anyone wants a particular picture let me know and I can fit it in. 

Andy

I guess you mean Arlington, Maryland, not Arlington, Texas? WOuldn't bother spending time at the latter..no B+Cs there.

Robbie :P

Hello Andy

I would appreciate a shot of Joe Louis grave.

Thanks

Andy

I guess you mean Arlington, Maryland, not Arlington, Texas?

Option C.. none of the above. I mean Arlington, Virginia - the national cemetary... Its like Time Cot. :rolleyes:

Andy

Option C.. none of the above.  I mean Arlington, Virginia - the national cemetary... Its like Time Cot.  :rolleyes:

Andy

Where JFK is? If so, I would love a pic of his grave/memorial please? Is Robert there too?

A memory for where one was, where one first heard of JFK's assassination is what we call a "flashbulb memory".

Robbie

Andy, I have two headstones that I would like pictures of. Unfortunately I do not have their plot positions but hope that you have a source to find them.

Jane A. Delano, American Red Cross nurse died in Savenay, France on the 15th April 1919. She was buried in the Loire but exhumed and reinterred in the nurse's plot, Arlington National Cemetery, Washington, DC.

Cornelia Elizabeth Thornton, U.S. Army nurse. Died at the US Base Hospital, Unit 33, Portsmouth, England on the 28th September 1918. Buried in Arlington Cemetery.

Thanks, Jim Strawbridge

jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

Where JFK is? If so, I would love a pic of his grave/memorial please? Is Robert there too?

Yepper.... both of them, Jackie O. too.

Jim - There is a grave locator at the Visitor Center so I can locate anyone pretty easily. I am not sure why they don't put it on the website, its very easy to use and helpful. I can get your nurses......

Andy

Yepper.... both of them, Jackie O. too.

Jim - There is a grave locator at the Visitor Center so I can locate anyone pretty easily.  I am not sure why they don't put it on the website, its very easy to use and helpful.  I can get your nurses......

Andy

Could I have Jackie O, too please andy? She and I share the same birthday but not the year of course, although at times...

Robbie... Its actually one and the same gravesite (JFK and Jackie O), kind of hard to explain without a picture, but it will be obvious later. Their son Patrick and an unnamed child are in the same plot. You'll see their spots too.

Andy

Anecdote... in 1993 when Jackie fell off her horse and was in the local hospital my mom was the volunteer who brought magazines to her room.

Hello,

It would be nice if you can taka a photo of those two

graves:

DILL, Sir JOHN GREER

Initials: J G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: General Staff

Unit Text: Commands and Staff

Date of Death: 04/11/1944

Awards: GCB, CMG, DSO

Additional information: Officier de la Legion D'Honneur, Croix de Guerre, Croix de Couronne, Croix de Guerre (Belgium), D.S.M. (U.S.A.). Son of John and Jane Dill (nee Greer); husband of Lady Dill (nee Charrington), of Doneraile, Co. Cork, Irish Republic. Commanded British Forces in Palestine 1936-37. Commander of 1st Army Corps in France 1939-40. Vice-Chief of Imperial General Staff 1940. A.D.C. General to H.M. King George VI 1940-41. Chief of Imperial General Staff 1940-41. Chief of British Joint Staff Mission to the U.S.A. and Senior British Representative on the Combined Chiefs of Staff from 1941. Also served in the South African and 1914-1918 Wars.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. 2. Lot 5-29.

Cemetery: ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

SYMONS, THOMAS HENRY

Initials: T H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Navy

Unit Text: H.M. Yacht "Warrior."

Date of Death: 21/12/1918

Service No: M/18229

Additional information: Son of Mr. G. W. Symons, of Dean St., Liskeard, Cornwall, England.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 19519. Arlington Sect.

Cemetery: ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

Many thanks in advance :)

Kind regards

Thought I'd bring this up just in case.... It looks like I am going to make it over Sat morning to get a good number of pictures. Robbie,Andy/Max, Jim, and TD60 I should be able to get all of yours.

Again, since I live so close I can go any time to get others, but let me know if there is someone you are particularly after.

Andy

Robbie - As promised. Send me your email off line and I will send the originals. Andy

post-1626-1117308973.jpg

post-1626-1117309090.jpg

post-1626-1117309378.jpg

post-1626-1117309421.jpg

Hello,

It would be nice if you can taka a photo of those two

graves:

DILL, Sir JOHN GREER

IIRC, there`s a fine statue of him there.

Some Brits may not be aware that Arlington was the home of Robert E Lee and was used as a Union cemetery to make it impractical as a home. Phil B

Jim - Here you go.... I also emailed them to you. Thought others might like to see the nurses are of the cemetary though. Andy

Jane Delano Section 21 Grave 6

post-1626-1117310497.jpg

post-1626-1117310566.jpg

post-1626-1117310656.jpg

TD60 - I got the Symons pic, but totally forgot about the Dill picture! Actually since there are still a few of my guys and Joe Louis on the list I am going to stop by after work (weather permitting) one day this week.

I also found these HMS Warrior commrades beside Writer Symonds, wasn't sure if they would be of interest.

Also the last picture (wide area) is of the section where these graves were. As it turns out your guy was in the immediate vacinity of some of the others I was looking for, so it was incredibly convenient.

Andy

PS... Thomas Symons Sec 17 Grave 19519

post-1626-1117313462.jpg

post-1626-1117313473.jpg

post-1626-1117313483.jpg

post-1626-1117313496.jpg

Andy, thank you for the pics. This is what I have on Jane A. Delano so far including a photograph from that excellent book - American Women in WW1 by Lettie Gavin.

Remarks: Born at Montour Falls, New York on the 12th March 1862. Enlisted at Townsend, New York. Superintendent of the Army Nurse Corps in 1909 and became director of the Red Cross Nursing Service in 1912. Associate of the Red Cross. Awarded the Distinguished Service Medal posthumously. A dedicated and hard working woman who oversaw, amongst other duties, the registration of 18,989 graduate nurses for Army, Navy and Red Cross service. In the Spring of 1919 she sailed for France to attend an international health conference in Cannes. She wished to visit the battlefields whilst there. She was taken ill and had a mastoid operation at the Army medical centre, Savenay followed by influenza. Buried with full military honours in the Loire, France her body was exhumed and reinterred in the nurses’ plot at Arlington National Cemetery, Washington, District of Columbia. Her headstone has the personal inscription “Faithful unto death”. The reverse is inscribed “Organizer and first Director of the American Red Cross Nursing Service, Superintendent of the Army Nurse Corps”.

I am also in touch with Celia Elizabeth Thornton's neice and I hope that you don't mind but I have sent her a copy of your photograph of her grave. I don't have much on her yet but what I have is as follows :-

Remarks: Born in Maryland. Enlisted at Achilles, Gloucester County, Virginia. I am told by here neice that she died of influenza. Another source states that she died of disease which may, or may not, be the same. Note in Virginia Cavalcade, vol.50 no.3, summer 2001.

post-364-1117361424.jpg

Jim I like the picture, thanks. Is Jane Delano the woman on the left?

Interested in the book you cite, too. Do you have the ISBN please Jim?

Robbie

TD60 - I got the Symons pic, but totally forgot about the Dill picture!  Actually since there are still a few of my guys and Joe Louis on the list I am going to stop by after work (weather permitting) one day this week. 

I also found these HMS Warrior commrades beside Writer Symonds, wasn't sure if they would be of interest. 

Also the last picture (wide area) is of the section where these graves were.  As it turns out your guy was in the immediate vacinity of some of the others I was looking for, so it was incredibly convenient.

Andy

PS... Thomas Symons Sec 17 Grave 19519

Hello

Many thanks for the photos. B)

I see that the weather was fine there; however what about the us flags between each (?) graves ?

Are they installed permanently or for special days/events ?

Interesting those three graves coming from HMS Warrior.

What happens with her ?

I found this

http://www.northwood.mod.uk/nwood/history/...ior/warrior.htm

but do not give many detail abouy this ship working in the

West Indies.

MMR: Merchandise Marine Reserve is also not so common I think => some studies to conduct.

Interesting to see also those graves of frenchmen ...

with a US flag even if the relations with France

have been warmer in the past than now.

(I hopr this not too political for this forum ...)

Best Regards :)

Buried with full military honours in the Loire, France her body was exhumed and reinterred in the nurses’ plot at Arlington National Cemetery, Washington, District of Columbia.

Jim - Just a slight error in the text... Arlington is in Virginia not Washington.

Remarks: Born in Maryland. Enlisted at Achilles, Gloucester County, Virginia.

Achilles is an odd spot to enlist... its very remote, especially for someone coming from Maryland. Since it is a small town you should be able to find out the details of her enlistment and why there, there was probably nothing else going on at the time.

I see that the weather was fine there; however what about the us flags between each (?) graves ?Are they installed permanently or for special days/events ?

Yes, this weekend is Memorial Day weekend so each grave (American and not) gets a US flag. For me personally I was moved by the thought that we as historians go in search of our ancestors, but there were a unique unfortunate few there yesterday who were visiting there decendants. There were many fresh graves in the Iraqi Freedom section.

Interesting those three graves coming from HMS Warrior.

What happens with her ?

It might be that the men died of the flu and that nothing specifically happened with the ship. I am not sure though, just and idea.

Andy

Is there a searchable database of war dead buried here?

Robbie

Robbie

Jane Delano is almost certainly the woman on the left. The book ISBN is ISBN:087081432X.

There are three books available at present on ABE :-

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/Search...e+Gavin&y=0&x=0

Andigger

There are at least 12 Arlington Cemeteries in the US. Trust me to get the wrong one. On thinking about it I knew that it was Virginia and should have known better.

Robbie

Jane Delano is almost certainly the woman on the left. The book ISBN is ISBN:087081432X.

There are three books available at present on ABE :-

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/Search...e+Gavin&y=0&x=0

Andigger

There are at least 12 Arlington Cemeteries in the US. Trust me to get the wrong one. On thinking about it I knew that it was Virginia and should have known better.

Thanks Jim.

Robbie

Jim

As an aside, are there similar books covering women from other countries?

Robbie

Where did you learn that? I was not aware of any others. Andy