Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Smiler's Funeral

ianw

Thanks for the info Ian. I am still very surprised that the EY didn't provide the usual military curtesies, but there you go.

Yes, we should cherish all our veterans (I know this name is more common in the US than UK), regardless of when & where they served, but it seems the sentiments expressed in Rudyard kipling's "Tommy" still prevail.

Regards

Mark

Ian, many thanks for the update and the pictures. Being here in the US and only getting the Weekly Telegraph I had missed the fact that Smiler had passed away. Very grateful therefore for the update.

May he rest in peace.....having merely faded away!

Yes, Smiler's memory will be with us forever. Certainly , no one who has heard his cataclysmic singing will ever forget it !

Please spare a thought for Graham , his carer for the past 4 years or so. Very proud but sad today. Fantastic job, Graham.

Pals,

A beautiful thread and wonderful photos. Just the sort of send off such a delightful old soldier deserved. May he rest in peace.

Steve

An historic moment one to archive the last of the horsemen is gone, and what great photos... all of them

Not forgotten, raising a glass... to Smiler on my birthday as well..

John

Folks

The Daily Telegraph has a report online about this last & unique event. Hopefully this link will get you there..........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../25/ixhome.html

The report also mentions that Bill Stone, the youngest survivng British WW1 veteran, & the only one who served in both the First & Second World War attended, just wonder if any pals present got to meet him yesterday.

Regards

Mark

I would have posted earlier - just didn't know what to write.

A remarkable man from a remarkable generation.