Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Smiler's Funeral

ianw

Pleased to advise that Smiler's send off went well. The rain held off and his cortege arrived with a magnificent horse-drawn hearse and an honour guard of Tommies all with appropriate MGC insignia and rifles reversed. The last man who was present during the Battle of the Somme was laid to rest with his dear wife.

Representatives of the MGC O.C.A were in attendance and I chatted with Richard Van Emden who talked mysteriously of a new telly show he was planning which would open a new and previously unknown window onto 1st July 1916.

A fellow Pal got a mention during the service with Smiler's old employer talking of the many visitors Smiler received particularly a lady from Ohio who had declared her visit to Smiler as the highlight of her trip to the UK ! Of course this is a reference to Cynthia !

So we said goodbye to Smiler and wish him a well deserved rest

post-70-1116949683.jpg

Cheers for the news Ian.

R.I.P. Smiler

Thanks for those photo's Ian,

a tear in the eyes and a fond farewell.

Mandy

Does anyone have a picture of Smiler, other than the newspaper picture so it can be posted on this thread? Peace at last for Smiler. Regards Steve.

Ian, wonderful pics thank you

Patrick

Ian,

Many thanks for posting the great pictures and so glad that the rain held off for Smilers funeral.

Andy

The Independent obituary is a nice detailed piece. "Nearer my God to Thee" was indeed his favourite hymn and was sung by the choir in church today.

Smilers best friend Lennie Passiful was shot by a sniper and died on 2nd February 1916 aged 17 and is buried in Bethune Town Cemetery. He will be on my list for a visit in the near future but no doubt Smiler and Lennie now will be catching up with 89 years of gossip.

Ian - thanks for these marvellous pictures and tribute to Smiler. We must never forget.

adrian

Thanks Ian

God Bless you Smiler - gone but not forgotten.

RIP

Glyn

Ian-,

Thanks for keeping us informed and especially for the pictures.

Roy

R.I.P. Smiler

Does anyone have a picture of Smiler, other than the newspaper picture so it can be posted on this thread? Peace at last for Smiler. Regards Steve.

Here is one of Smiler and Graham I took 5th April 2005

post-6127-1116959150.jpg

God rest you Smiler, last of the men of Essex who went forth for their country.

I never knew my grandfather - like you, Essex born and bred, and fought in an Essex regiment - and I remember the old men at the war memorial with their medals so proudly worn when I was a lad. Now the last link to them has gone to his final roll call.

I can honestly say that I have tears in my eyes as I write this. God bless you, and I hope all your mates are up there with you.

Adrian

Thanks for keeping us informed in words and pictures, Ian.

Looks and sounds like quite a send off. No one could ask for more.

R. I. P. Smiler

Rest in Peace Smiler, you have earnt it.................

Great pics, & very gratifying to know that Smiler was laid to rest with honour, but I am very surprised (if not pretty disgusted) to see no mention of any representatives in uniform from the Essex Yeomanry (which was still in existence in 1999 as a Royal Signals when I served with them). You would have thought that as Smiler was the last of their number from 14-18, they would have made arrangements to attend in force & provide full honours. However, maybe I am being less than generous, I would be grateful if anyone with knowledge of whether they attended could post details here.

Toasting Smiler & all absent friends.........

Mark

Yes, it was a nice affair with a bugler playing The Last Post and a volley over the grave.

Pretty soon the last of them will be gone and this tangible link with the past will be gone. We will be much the poorer for their passing . Perhaps this is a signal for us to better cherish and respect our people that fought and won the Second World War.

Mark,

There was definitely a wreath from the Essex Yeomanry (Signals) and I understand that they had some people there, although I did not see them myself.

The church was packed. You could see the rector wishing that every service had such a good attendance !