Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bliss F J Sgt

Patrick H

As for the address, I'm not even going to try with Myrtle present!

:lol:

Gentlmen, thanks for all that which I will digest and work on when I return from France- not a research visit, i'm going to the Dordogne to do nothing for a week !!

I will need to check again the Christ Church mags, I recall there seemed to be quite a few of the Bliss family recorded amongst the list of contributors to the various charitable causes being supported by the Church. One of the Misses is definately shown as a teacher at Christ Church School but I guess the whole family must have moved to Warley from West Ham/Forest Gate. Does the Census Return give an occupation for Bliss Senior, which might help in finding out what the family were doing in Warley.

The Church Mags (only upto 1916 due to paper shortage) make quite interesting reading as to the "Home Front". The ladies of the Church were engaged in sewing sandbags for the front. They managed a total of 1000 but I cant see this made a great deal of difference to the trenches but at least they were "doing their bit"

Patrick

Gentlmen, thanks for all that which I will digest and work on when I return from France- not a research visit, i'm going to the Dordogne to do nothing for a week !!

I will need to check again the Christ Church mags, I recall there seemed to be quite a few of the Bliss family recorded amongst the list of contributors to the various charitable causes being supported by the Church. One of the Misses is definately shown as a teacher at Christ Church School but I guess the whole family must have moved to Warley from West Ham/Forest Gate. Does the Census Return give an occupation for Bliss Senior, which might help in finding out what the family were doing in Warley.

The Church Mags (only upto 1916 due to paper shortage) make quite interesting reading as to the "Home Front". The ladies of the Church were engaged in sewing sandbags for the front. They managed a total of 1000 but I cant see this made a great deal of difference to the trenches but at least they were "doing their bit"

Patrick

Patrick I hope you have a very restful holiday. ;)

Myrtle

As for the address, I'm not even going to try with Myrtle present!

Steve.

Go on, give it a go. I 'm not planning to walk the dog in Forest Gate area today even though he likes the sound of the name.

Myrtle

Thanks very much Myrtle. A swimming pool, bottle of wine and a couple of good books is planned ! But I cant make up my mind whether to take along my research material - no room in car for suitcases then !

As a matter of interest (maybe ?) I was born in Forest Gate, in the maternity hospital which I think is closed now - is it ?

Thanks

Patrick

Frederick Bliss senior's occupation was Clerk, Commercial. I did state it above, but you must have missed it...

Steve.

silly me !! thanks steve

Patrick

As a matter of interest (maybe ?) I was born in Forest Gate, in the maternity hospital which I think is closed now - is it ?

Patrick

Patrick

I live the other side of London therefore am unable to confirm if Forest Gate maternity hospital is closed. The mention of dog walking and census reading is a follow up to an episode some time back regarding Steve's location of a soldier's house. :)

Myrtle

And has now developed into a running (walking) joke. At least with me...

Square / Gardens. Look the same to me!

Steve.

Steve/Myrtle

I have no idea what you two are on about ! :unsure: ! But thanks for the help anyway.

Patrick

I did a quick search through the 31st Bn. CEF regimental history. The only mention of 79614 F. Bliss is that he was Killed in Action

marc

• 2 weeks later...

To all those who have helped me on this one, I have the following information, all starting with just a name on a memorial

Frederick J Bliss 79614 Sgt 31st Batt Canadian Expeditionary Force (Canadian Infantry Alberta Regt)

born 18 May 1891 Forest Gate, (Essex ) East London

son of Frederick Bliss Comercial Clerk ans Susan Bliss (born in Scotland hence possible reason for Fred joining London Scottish!)

Siblings Agnes, Amy D, David H, Donald G, Gwendoline, Irene B, Maria M, Susan

presumably a reasonably comfortable standard of living with 2 servants !

Sometime between 1901 Census and 1914 the family moved to Warley Essex although I can find no mention of Frederick senior.

On the Attestation Paper Fred gives his place and date of birth confirming the above and also names his nok as his brother David. Confirms his previous service with the London Scottish (2 1/2 years) and 35th (can't decipher) presumably why he gained rank of Sgt. Occupation stated "Engine Driver")

From Parish Mag : family members named Mrs Susan Bliss, Misses Maria, Irene B, J B ?? and Mr Donald G. Its records Maria as being a Sunday School teacher

Donald Bliss is recorded amongst "serving men" in Jan 1915 and Fred in August 1915.

Fred enlisted with the CEF on 18.11.1914 He died between 24.9.16 and 30.9.16 and is remembered on the Vimy Memorial to the Missing.

Circumstances of his death extracted from the Red Deer Advocate, Alberta by Art Mann writing from the front

" Was with Freddie Bliss and quite close to Des George when killed. It seems they had been over three days without anything to eat or drink and the bombing Officer suggested that he and Des endeavour to get through which they did but it seems that in returning instead of coming a roundabout way and keeping under cover, they marched right up and were struck by a shell. The Officer was wounded at the same time"

Information I do not have is

1. Date of emigration of Fred and his brother David

2. Details of action of the 31st Batt CEF between 24.9.16 and 30.9.16

Finally, and as a matter of interest I was recently talking to the Vicar of Christ Church Warley about Fred Bliss (as you do !!) when he said he had the weekend before conducted marriage of a girl with name of Bliss, so perhaps some of the family still live in Warley, must try to find out !

Thanks everyone for your help

Patrick

Patrick, I had a look for Des George and Art Mann in the Canadian Archives which has brought about a mystery.

Both men were likely originals with the 31st Battalion (Regimental number range 79001-81000) so it appears Art was Cpl. Arthur A. Mann, #79353, link. Des appears to be Cpl. Desmond St. Clair George, #79577, link.

Now if I am reading the letter correctly, Art says he was with both Fred Bliss and Des when they were killed by a shell. Here's the mystery. According to the CWGC, Cpl. George was killed in action 4/4/1916, link yet Fred Bliss is listed as having been killed between 24/9/1916 and 30/9/1916!

Could it be that the "he" referred to in the second line was the Bombing Officer and not Fred Bliss and only Cpl. George was killed by the shell?

Chris

When I first read the letter I understood it as saying that the writer was with Fred Bliss when Des George was killed. Your research appears to confirm that.

Myrtle

Yes that thought did go through my mind yesterday on re-reading the piece, its not very clear. I wondered if he meant the bombing officer and that he, Mann, was simply saying that he was with Freddie Bliss. I dont suppose I will ever find out. I have the war diary for the 24th-30th Sept 1916 which I think you gave me a link to but on a quick read through I cant find any refernce to Bliss.

Unless anyone can come up with anything more I might leave it at that, since I have over 80 names to research, and I have quite a lot on Fred Bliss now. The only other thing I would be interested to find out is when the family moved to Warley but again I will probably never know.

Thanks Chris

Patrick

Hi Patrick. I did some more checking and found this which confirms the letter referred only to Cpl. George and not Fred Bliss. Sorry to have misdirected you on this.

post-2466-1119022900.jpg

Chris, thanks for that which appears to confirm that Art Mann was referring to Des being killed and not Fred Bliss who as you say was not killed until Sept.

Thanks#

Patrick