Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jacob's Ladder

Tony Cox

Hi Tony

I do not have a map with Jacob's Ladder marked on it but have one of the area with a green mark to indicate where it was. May be Dave as one with it on.

I thought that Jacob's Ladder was on the north side of the Beaumont Road, linking White City with the front line (closer to King Street on the above map)

Ken

May be Dave as one with it on.

Unfortunately, I don't. This is the best I can do for "named" trenches in this area. It's from Feb. 1917...

Dave.

post-357-1115507940.jpg

Courtesy of forum member bmac - Bill MacCormick

post-1376-1115508875.jpg

probably no help at all to your searches but a little hint about it's namimg, Jacobs ladder is an old pack horse route up Kinder Scout in the peak district, steep and nasty

(cue song...i'm a rambler,i'm a rambler from manchester way)

From page 33, Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Park, Somme Battleground Europe by Nigel Cave.

post-1376-1115509583.jpg

From page 84, Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Park, Somme Battleground Europe by Nigel Cave.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1115509686.jpg

Interesting to note that on the maps just posted, "Jacob's Ladder" is shown in a position which, on the 1917 trenchmap, is entitled "Moving Staircase".

Is this one and the same, and perhaps "Jacobs ladder" underwent a name-change?

Dave.

From pages 50 and 51, Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Park, Somme Battleground Europe by Nigel Cave.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1115536759.jpg

From pages 52 and 53, Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Park, Somme Battleground Europe by Nigel Cave.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1115536820.jpg

From page 54, Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Park, Somme Battleground Europe by Nigel Cave.

Regards

Richard

post-1376-1115536874.jpg

• Admin

Martin Middlebrooks The Somme Battlefileds has the communication trench Jacobs ladder running from Mesnil to Hamel, coming down just behind the military cemetery.

Sorry but I'm unable to post an image owing to lack of time today. (got to take my son to cricket very soon)

Hi Tony

Sorry if green mark on the map I put up was slightly misleading, I asked the same question as you a year or so back and a fellow member posted this map, I think the green mark is an arrow pointing towards Jacob's Ladder location and not marking its position sorry I did not make that clear.

Annette

• Admin

Hi Tony

Further to my posting yesterday, here is a scan of Martin Middlebrooks map.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

There were indeed 2 Jacobs Ladders, one just back from the Sunken Lane and another running up to Mesnil from the rear of Hamel. The latter (as pictured above) was I seem to recall a rather dodgy area since it was overlooked by the Germans below Thiepval.

The field containing the Jacob's Ladder CT which ran from Mesnil was ploughed for the first time a year or so ago; and the trench perfectly visible afterwards.

As has been mentioned there were two Jacob's Ladders on the Somme: in what context are you interested, Tony?

Thanks Michelle for the scan of the map.

Paul i was intrested in this photo of the Warwicks resting at Jacob's ladder, Beaumont Hamel, July 1916, just trying to pin point it.

Tony

post-2286-1115667339.jpg

Okay - now I see. The Jacob's Ladder you refer to is the Beaumont-Hamel one, but this photo is not taken there, despite the caption.

It was taken by Lieutenant 'Baby' Brookes on 1st July 1916 close to the Tenderloin in the White City; units from both 4th and 29th Division were in this area on the 1st, and most of the units Brookes took images of were from the 4th (eg. the often captioned photo of the 16th Middx is in fact the 1st East Lancs).

Hope that helps.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info, i never knew that, so do you think this could be another regt in the photo or could it be the warwicks.

Tony

Hi Tony - no, I think they are Warwicks; you can see the Warwicks shoulder titles. So I presume they must be 1st Bn men from 4th Division?