Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 Gordon Highlanders

F Davidson

I am specifically looking for the War Diary covering the period 6th to the 14th December 1914 for any reference that there may be to Pte James Davidson 1550 who was wounded and subsequently died during that period. Incidentally, he was only 15 years old being born on 24 January 1899.

F Davidson

I doubt the diary wil mention him by name, they usually give -'2 ORs killed ' or similar. You can get a copy of the relevant pages from the National Archives - don't know how much.

The Gordon Highlanders Museum may also have a copy of the diary.

James Davidson is remembered on the Scottish National War Memorial as:

Surname DAVIDSON

Firstname James

Service number 1550

Date of death 14/12/1914

Decoration

Place of birth Keith Banffshire

Other 6th Bn.

SNWM roll THE GORDON HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

CWGC as:

Name: DAVIDSON

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Gordon Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/12/1914

Service No: 1550

Additional information: Son of James Davidson, of Burnside, Grange, Keith, Banffshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. K. 44.

Cemetery: MERVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Aye

Malcolm

If you are really intent on getting the pages for the relevant period then a copy of the 1/6th. Gordons War Diary is held at :

The Gordon Highlander Museum

St. Lukes, Viewfield Road

ABERDEEN AB15 7XH.

Regards

Jim Gordon

• 1 month later...

The History of the 6th Battalion has Pte James Davidson, born Keith in the Roll of Honour. It also lists those members who proceeded to France from Bedford on 9th November 1914. Their number included Pte Jas Davidson, Grange in " C " Company. This company of the Territorial Force battalion was based at Keith.

His story will be similar to a local lad detailed on my website:

Pte Geo Gordon, 6th Gordons TF

Thanks to you Jas (Kinnethmont) for your help. It may interest you to know that I wrote to the Gordons Museum with my enquiry (ref Jim Gordon, 5 May) and I received an answer just today. They had nothing specific about the day or the place that he died so I'm just going to draw a line under him and take your advice.

Yours,

Frank Davidson

Frank

Merville was in Allied hands from November 1914 to April 1918. Casualty Clearing Stations and Field Hospitals were located there and buried their dead in the Communal Cemetery and from 1916 the Extension. Pte Davidson being buried in the Communal Cemetery suugests his is an original burial there, his having died in a nearby medical centre.

I attach his Medal Index Card which records he landed in France on 10th Nov 1914 and Died of Wounds ( DOW) on 14th Dec 1914. Soldier Died in the Great War War also has him as DOW.

The card also confirms the award of the 1914 Star and the War and Victory medals.

When the 6th Gordons arrived in France from Bedford they spent time training etc near St Omer. They moved to billets at Sailly sur la Lys and went into the trenches nearby on the 6th December. They then were rotated in and out of the line. There is no mention of agression during December, but mention is made of the need for care and the accuracy of German snipers. It may be that Pte Davidson was struck by a sniper's bullet and then moved back to Merville CCS, which was a few miles to the rear.

I hope this information assists.

post-352-1118784645.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Frank/Jas

Sorry to butt in but I wonder if either of you has any information regarding the death of a man I've been researching being Lt A.S.Pelham-Burn killed in action on the 2nd of May 1915. Is there any mention of his fate in the 6th Battalion history?

I have some quotes here which he made in a letter to a school friend about the Christmas truce if that's of any interest for your excellent web site.

Here's hoping

Hambo

Hambo

Found nothing on Arthur Pelham Burn, a member of a well known Aberdeenshire family.

Any details / quotes on the 1914 Christmas Truce would be most interesting to read.

Jas

Thanks once again for all your help.

Just to round off the topic James Davidson was reported to be 17 years old when he died. He was born on 24 January 1899, so he was only 15 years old on 14 December 1914. a month short of his 16th birthday. I'm sure he wasn't the only under age casualty in the Great War.

Frank

Jas

This extract is from my research on the local memorial and includes the quote I referred to last night, I also have a very good, full length picture of him in kilt from the Lancing College roll of honour if you're interested

Pelham-Burn, Arthur Sidney

2nd Lieutenant 6th (Banff and Donside Battalion) Gordon Highlanders

Killed in action near Estaire in the forward area around Neuve Chappelle 2nd of May 1915.

Son of Rev W Pelham-Burn, Archdeacon of Norfolk and Mrs Pelham Burn of Limpsfield. Mentioned in despatches Educated Lancing College 1910 to 1914, he had hoped to study for the ministry.

He sailed with the 6th Battalion, landing in Le Havre on the 10th of November 1914.

By Christmas day the Battalion was in the trenches at Fromelles where the trenches were only 60 yards apart. During the Christmas truce both sides emerged from their trenches to bury more than 100 bodies from both sides. Pelham-Burn wrote the following in a letter to a former school friend from Lancing.

The mass burial was “awful, too awful to describe, so I won’t attempt it.”

A service of prayer was arranged and amongst them was a reading of the 23rd Psalm.

“They were read first in English by our Padre and then by a German boy who was studying for the ministry. The Germans formed up on one side, the English on the other, the officers standing in front, every head bared. Yes I think it was a sight one will never see again.”

On the 13th of March during the 6th Gordon’s advance at the Battle of Neuve Chappelle, his commanding officer, Lt Col C. McLean, while attempting to establish contact with the 2nd Gordons on his right, fell mortally wounded. Having fallen Lt Pelham-Burn rushed forward to his assistance and gave him morphia tablets. The Colonel thanked him and sent him back saying “And now, my boy, about your duty. Your place is with your company.”

Colonel McLean is buried at Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery near Estaires.

General Rawlinson said of the 6th Gordons “They dashed forward with the utmost gallantry and showed the way to several regular battalions.”

Hope this is of interest

Hambo

Hambo

Thanks for that, I was aware of the McLean part of the story and a fellow officer. He was a McLean from Breda at Alford, Aberdeenshire, just over the hill from here.

• 17 years later...

6th Battalion War Diary for August to December 1914.

I'm not finding this on search of the National Archives. Anyone know how it is catalogued?

Thank you.

I'm venturing outside my comfort zone but, as I understand it, the 6th left for active service in France on November 10, 1914. There are very few war diaries for British units relating to their activities in the UK.

See this other thread from which I infer that the war diary starts in December.

Happy to be contradicted by more knowledgeable souls.

Thanks Moonraker

The British Newspaper Archive records the 6th leaving Keith. Most academic papers have them go straight from Keith to Bedford but they did not. However there is newspaper "blackout" for a period until thanks for comforts from down south. I have the diary from December 1914 downloaded. It the bit before I am keen to read.

Lots of interesting stories of the Highlanders in Bedford and an excellent website at

https://bedfordhighlanders.blogspot.com/

12 hours ago, Corgarian said:

Thanks Moonraker

The British Newspaper Archive records the 6th leaving Keith. Most academic papers have them go straight from Keith to Bedford but they did not. However there is newspaper "blackout" for a period until thanks for comforts from down south. I have the diary from December 1914 downloaded. It the bit before I am keen to read.

Lots of interesting stories of the Highlanders in Bedford and an excellent website at

https://bedfordhighlanders.blogspot.com/

Richard's blog is excellent isn't it - he is occasionally on here under the name  @rgalley 

If you are interested in the period at Bedford there is a great thread with images from @Raster Scanning and Richard which can be found HERE (unfortunately lots of the early pics are missing) and more recently HERE

I have looked at many of the Gordons diaries (obviously one in particular!) and my recollection is most start with the orders to move overseas / into theatre.

Chris

• 7 months later...
On 14/06/2005 at 16:53, kinnethmont said:

Frank

Merville was in Allied hands from November 1914 to April 1918. Casualty Clearing Stations and Field Hospitals were located there and buried their dead in the Communal Cemetery and from 1916 the Extension. Pte Davidson being buried in the Communal Cemetery suugests his is an original burial there, his having died in a nearby medical centre.

I attach his Medal Index Card which records he landed in France on 10th Nov 1914 and Died of Wounds ( DOW) on 14th Dec 1914. Soldier Died in the Great War War also has him as DOW.

The card also confirms the award of the 1914 Star and the War and Victory medals.

When the 6th Gordons arrived in France from Bedford they spent time training etc near St Omer. They moved to billets at Sailly sur la Lys and went into the trenches nearby on the 6th December. They then were rotated in and out of the line. There is no mention of agression during December, but mention is made of the need for care and the accuracy of German snipers. It may be that Pte Davidson was struck by a sniper's bullet and then moved back to Merville CCS, which was a few miles to the rear.

I hope this information assists.

post-352-1118784645.jpg

On 17/01/2023 at 06:56, Corgarian said:

6th Battalion War Diary for August to December 1914.

I'm not finding this on search of the National Archives. Anyone know how it is catalogued?

Thank you.

On 17/01/2023 at 19:49, 4thGordons said:

Richard's blog is excellent isn't it - he is occasionally on here under the name  @rgalley 

If you are interested in the period at Bedford there is a great thread with images from @Raster Scanning and Richard which can be found HERE (unfortunately lots of the early pics are missing) and more recently HERE

I have looked at many of the Gordons diaries (obviously one in particular!) and my recollection is most start with the orders to move overseas / into theatre.

Chris

His MIC shows that he arrived in France on 10 November, 1914, and DoW on 14 December, 1914.

The TNA refs for the Battalion WD start with WO/95/1657/1. The first page of that pdf file begins on 1 December, 1914.

So, can anyone explain with what Battalion he arrived in November?

I am attaching the only page from WO/95/1657/1. It shows that one man was wounded on the 13th, and one man was wounded and died on the 14th (no names).

Since there is no WD showing the arrival of the 6th Bn it is difficult to accept that they just suddenly arrived in December.

British Army Field Service Regulations, 1907, 1909 and 1914, required that the Commander of every Military Unit (from a Battalion to a Division) would maintain a War Diary to provide a daily account of the activities of a Military Unit on active service.

Very confusing.

Tom.

WO-95-1657-1_Page_004.jpg

Have you looked at Cyril Falls "History of a Regiment" - there may be some details in there (I'll dig it out and have a look)

This does look a little odd but I wonder (particularly as it was relatively early for a TF battalion to be going to F&F and joining the BEF) if he wasn't part of an advanced party sent ahead to secure a base, arrange billets, etc and generally set things up ahead of the arrival of the Battalion as a whole? (hence the earlier "in theatre" date? I have seen reference to such groups with some units although if I am honest I do not recall it being the case for the Gordons

I'll have a quick look at Falls

Chris

Cyril Falls, "Life of a Regiment Vol IV 1914-1919" p31

"In view of the desperate need of reinforcements......twenty three [Battalions] arrived before the end of the year. Among those so honored was the 1/6 Gordon Highlanders. Having been stationed at Bedford since mid August, it had crossed to France on November 9th and stayed three weeks at St Omer as GHQ troops. It went into the line the day after its arrival, Dec 6th..." (emphasis added)

It's slightly ambiguous phrasing at the end - but I assume Falls means the day after they arrived in the front line zone they went into the line (Dec 6) which matches the diary entry you posted.

Does confirm that the 1/6 (or elements thereof) arrived in F&F on Nov 9th.*

So it appears the war diary was not started immediately (I wonder if being "GHQ troops" has something to do with this - not brigaded? I haven't searched but perhaps the diary from Nov 9- Dec 1 is associated with GHQ rather than a brigade/division?

Chris

*I suppose this could be checked by looking at MICs for other 1/6th members to see if the entry into theatre is noted for 14-15 star awards etc

Edited by 4thGordons

WD Cover page states "Battalion joined 20th Brigade 5.12.14".

20th Brigade WD names the Battalion on 8th October, 1914.

Something ain't right.

Tom Lang.

WO-95-1657-1_Page_003.jpg

WO-95-1650-1_1_Page_05.jpg

Meant to add - the 20th Brigade WD states "Brigade landed at ZEEBRUGGE 7th October 1914".

Tom.

WO-95-1650-1_1_Page_02.jpg

from the Long Long Trail 

1/6th (Banff and Donside) Battalion
August 1914 : at Keith. Part of Gordon Brigade in the Highland Division. Moved to Bedford.
10 November 1914 : left the Division and landed at Le Havre, and on 5 December joined the 20th Brigade in 7th Division.

This appears to agree with Falls?

I think it was the 2nd Battalion Gordons who were part of the the 20th Brigade 7th Division from October 1914 (after they returned from Egypt)

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Cairo. Returned to England, landing Southampton on 1 October 1914.
Moved to Lyndhurst and came under command of 20th Brigade in 7th Division.
7 October 1914 : landed at Zeebrugge.

So have we mixed up 2 battalions here the 2nd and the 1/6?

This would appear to suggest that from October the 20th Brigade 7th Div contained both the 2nd Battalion and the 1/6th Battalion?

Chris

18 minutes ago, Tom Lang said:

20th Brigade WD names the Battalion on 8th October, 1914.

I looked deeper and found the 2nd Bn Gordons named on 28th October, 1914.

All other references just refer to them as 'Gordons' or Gordon Highlanders'.

Tom.

WO-95-1650-1_1_Page_30.jpg

I looked at the WD for the 2nd Bn and from the beginning it shows that the WD was made up from others (to start with).

Tom.

WO-95-1656-2_1_Page_002.jpg

WO-95-1656-2_1_Page_006.jpg