Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion The Gordon Highlanders

BigT

I am hoping (someday) to creat a website for the 6th Gordons. Ive done a preliminary search online at the National Archives for the War Diaries (WW1 & 2) but have had no luck, anybody out there have them, or know where they are?. The Gordons Museum may have them, but Aberdeen is a long way from here. I have a history of the 6th for 1939-45 published in 1946 if anyone is interested.

6 Gordon Diaries are WO 95/1657, WO 95/2868 and WO 95/2868

Can I also suggest you look at Captain MacKenzie's "The Sixth Gordon in France and Flanders" which was published in 1922.

Ivor

Just to make it a bit easier HERE and HERE are the direct links to the diary.

Makenzie's book as suggested is probably a must - but expensive if you can find one.

If you need the SDGW list for the 6th Bn I can probably get a copy to you.

Also Vol IV of "Life of a Regiment" (Cyril Falls) is a great starting place for context etc.

Chris

Just to make it a bit easier HERE and HERE are the direct links to the diary.

Makenzie's book as suggested is probably a must - but expensive if you can find one.

If you need the SDGW list for the 6th Bn I can probably get a copy to you.

Also Vol IV of "Life of a Regiment" (Cyril Falls) is a great starting place for context etc.

Chris

Thanks for the offer of help. Incidentally Ive been trying to acquire Vols IV and V for at least 30 years , they are like gold dust!

Thanks for the offer of help. Incidentally Ive been trying to acquire Vols IV and V for at least 30 years , they are like gold dust!

There are several copies of V on abebooks at the moment - a bit pricey but....

and if you have 250+ quid to spare you can get the whole set!

If there are particular sections/battles/dates you are interested in from WWI then fell free to PM me.

Thompson's short account is pretty good as a reference on WWI too.

Trevor Royle just published a short history of the regiment which I don't really think adds much new but it does provide a condensed overview.

Chris