Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sherwood foresters gallantry awards

bernardmcilwaine

Some of the officers who died have 7-11 August as date of death!

Thanks for your helpful notes Steve. I have noticed the above in SDGW, however the 9th battalion notes referred to on my website offer more precise dates for some of these cases, e.g. QM Ewin who is one of 'my' men.

Peter - I've never seen a picture of Bosanquet. Any chance of a peek?

Got 'em! Many many thanks. I winged an e-mail back to you. Did you get it?

I have just located 2 superb pictures of Bosanquet!!

Are they of him in uniform? If so could I have them as well! I only have him in civvies.

morse.steve@btinternet.com

thanks

Steve

Thanks for your helpful notes Steve. I have noticed the above in SDGW, however the 9th battalion notes referred to on my website offer more precise dates for some of these cases, e.g. QM Ewin who is one of 'my' men.

I am fairly certain that they would have died on 9th but with so many deaths, not all would have been officially notified. The Campaign threw up some conflicting reports!

I have on 6/7th - Col Scothern saying it was pleasant on the beach with the men swimming. A Matlock man described it as a nightmare with constant shelling and machine gun fire! As the Matlock man was wounded during this 'quiet' period, I tend to believe him.

Col B at 53 would probably have wanted to be at the head of his men in an attack. The 9th and 21/22nd August were the 9th Battalions 'First day of the Somme'

stevem

Thanks for the link Peter.

Steve - there are indeed many conflicting reports, and the fact that the battalion's records were destroyed in the evacuation doesn't make it any easier trying to make sense of them. I'm sure that the dates given in the 9th battalion notes are not 'gospel', but as the account was put together by officers of the battalion for the regimental annual it is probably as reliable as any other source.

• 1 month later...

Lt Col Lionel Arthur Bosanquet:

I have now got his medal index card and that shows the WM / VM / and 15 Star. He served in gallipoli as a theratre of war and the notre says killed in action 21.8.15 although this obviously has been amended from the 22.8.15. I hope now to try and locate his records at Kew!!

Watch this space!

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
I have now got all his (Bosanquet) papers from Kew, does anyone know where his medals are as someone down this way professes to have them??

Peter

Peter

Is this someone a family member of his or a collecter? I do not remember them being held by the SF but it may be worth your while contacting eddie to see if there is a record of his medals location.

stevem

Hi Andrew, Would you like a copy of his papers? If so contact me offline at pgarwood@globalnet.co.uk

Peter

I will try and see what the reg museum can tell me?