Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

sherwood foresters gallantry awards

bernardmcilwaine

B) all the sherwood foresters awards from 1854 to 1970,inc vc,dso,dcm,mc and mm, in some cases a photo.

• 3 weeks later...

Bernard - is your source the book by Cliff Housley?

If you guys have a specific interest in Sherwood Foresters .. and I'm talking WW2 here and Anzio ... could you have a rummage round to see if this rather unusual names crops up in any documentation. I don't think Jimmy grabbed any gallantry medals though!!

Just on the offchance?

Cheers

Des

post-1582-1116880742.jpg

Des,

British POWs (in German hands) lists only one Blackadder.....

Gives the camp as "Freis" ?

Pow Number 140269 , Blackadder J. Pte. 409237 Foresters.

I knew a man who was POW at Anzio with 14 Btn Foresters and his POW number was 130***.

Stuart

Wow.

I mean WOW.

Family legend is thus ... Jimmy gets posted wounded and missing. Family fear worst. Then Lord Haw Haw announces a list of prisoners who have been taken but 'haw haw' they are now in Germany etc.

Half the street runs out to tell family .. which shows how many actually listened to Haw Haw (I assume for sheer nosiness)!!

Also Jimmy told story of being captured, put on train, de-railed by partisans, asked if he wants to make for the hills, tells them to pi ss off cos half his leg is shot up!!

Wonderful.

Thank you so much.

Des

Bernard,

Could I please request a look up for 8488 CSM Charles Coomber who won the DCM in 1917. He died of wounds on 24/08/18 while serving with the 10th Battalion. I have a copy of his citation, but wondered if there was any additional info.

Many Thanks

Gavin

Bernard,

Could I please request a look up for 8488 CSM Charles Coomber who won the DCM in 1917. He died of wounds on 24/08/18 while serving with the 10th Battalion. I have a copy of his citation, but wondered if there was any additional info.

Many Thanks

Gavin

here goes gavin,sgt c,coomber,8488,10th batt sher for,for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in a attack,when all the officers of his coy were casualtys,he led his coy to their objectives with great determination,he showed great courage and deternination in consolidating the position and set a splendid eg to his men,he died of wounds 24-8-18 at the time being a csm,thats it gavin,bernard

Bernard,

is there any mention of a John Askew,

he was my great unckle or cousin and i think he was in the forresters, can't locate the pic at the moment, he died in1920 and the photo has him in the blues of a wounded soldier,

thanks in advance,

Mandy.

Bernard,

is there any mention of a John Askew,

he was my great unckle or cousin and i think he was in the forresters, can't locate the pic at the moment, he died in1920 and the photo has him in the blues of a wounded soldier,

thanks in advance,

Mandy.

hello mandy,theres a g,askew,sgt,11084,2nd batt,london gazette 22-1-17,thats all there is ,sorry

No probs,

thanks for looking it was a long shot anyway.

thanks again,

Mandy

• 1 month later...

Hi Bernard

I'm looking for information on:

Sergeant J. Legate

Sherwood Forresters

11th Battalion

KIA 24th April 1917.

Any information you could give would be gatefully received.

Paul

(Bernard - apologies for muscling in!)

John Legate: Sergeant 21765, 11th Bn. London Gazette 26.5.1917.

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty at Hill 60 Sub Sector near Ypres on 9.4.1917. He led his platoon to the right flank of the Battalion at a critical time, and held a post against a strong enemy attack"

Killed in action 24.4.1917.

No photo included.

SDGW: Born, Burton, Staffs. Enlisted Derby. Residence, Woodville, Derbyshire.

I would suspect that Greenwoodman will have the War Diary for that date. The book 'The Men from the Greenwood Being the War History of the 11th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters' by Percy Fryer may be of interest to you and it's online here: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~d...od%20Foresters/

• 1 year later...

The Times of 23rd August 1915 report Lt Col Bosanquet as Wounded.

Then the Times of 6-9-1915 records:

post-6536-1164761960.jpg

Served in the same Campaign as my great-uncle...

LG 9-3-1883

The Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment), Gentleman Cadet Lionel Arthur Bosanquet, from the Royal Military College, to be Lieutenant, vice H. Newton, transferred to the King's Royal Rifle Corps. Dated 10th March, 1883.

LG 9-8-1892

The Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment),

The undermentioned Lieutenants to be Captains:—

Lionel A. Bosanquet, vice H. C. Wylly, seconded. Dated 8th May, 1892.

LG 12-3-1901

3rd Battalion, the Sherwood Foresters (Derbyshire Regiment), Captain L. A. Bosanquet, Derbyshire Regiment, to be Adjutant, vice Captain J. W. G. Roy, whose period of service has expired. Dated 23rd February, 1901

LG 22-5-1903

The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment), Supernumerary Captain Charles J. W. Hobbs to be Captain, in succession to Major L. A. Bosanquet, Adjutant 3rd Battalion. Dated 9th May, 1903.

LG 6-6-1911

The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment), Major Lionel A. Bosanquet retires on retired pay. Dated 7th June, 1911.

LG 6-11-1914

INFANTRY.

Service 'Battalions.

The dates upon which the undermentioned Lieutenant-Colonels assumed command are as follows: —

Lionel A. Bosanquet, 9th Battalion, The Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment). Dated 26th October, 1914.

Steve.

Hi Bernard, Do you have anything on:

Lt Col Lionel A Bosanquet (Sherwood Foresters) killed at Gallipoli.

Thanks a load!!

Peter

He was in 9th Battalion and wounded on 9th (I think) carried on leading his men and killed on 22nd.

stevem

Many Thanks, I think I will get up to the National Archives and dig a little deeper. Someone is suggesting they have found his medals after some 80 years!!

An interesting hsitory attaches to this guy who was a local bigwig!!

Thanks

peter

Bernard, ages ago when you first posted this topic you looked for my relative and found G Askew, was there any more info on him as John had a brother George who also survived, maybe he is his brother,

thanks for taking the time to look (if you have the time that is).

mandy

My information is that Bosanquet was killed on the 21st, but I'm happy to bow to Steve who is undoubted master of all things 9th.

There is an account of the 9th's Suvla landings from the 6th to the 9th August on my website here: http://www.derbyshirelads.uwclub.net/Sherw...th_bn_notes.htm

It includes this comment:

Lt.-Col. L. A. Bosanquet, mobilising all possible signallers, runners, servants, etc., went forward, and counter attacking, succeeded in beating off the Turks and bringing off an orderly retirement of the Battalion to a much more secure and better placed positions in the dry bed of a river 400 yards in rear of the Battalions original position. By this time 7 Officers had been killed, 11 wounded, including the Colonel, and 1 missing, and the strength of the Battalion in rank of file reduced to about 300.

My information is that Bosanquet was killed on the 21st, but I'm happy to bow to Steve who is undoubted master of all things 9th.

There is an account of the 9th's Suvla landings from the 6th to the 9th August on my website here: http://www.derbyshirelads.uwclub.net/Sherw...th_bn_notes.htm

It includes this comment:

Lt.-Col. L. A. Bosanquet, mobilising all possible signallers, runners, servants, etc., went forward, and counter attacking, succeeded in beating off the Turks and bringing off an orderly retirement of the Battalion to a much more secure and better placed positions in the dry bed of a river 400 yards in rear of the Battalions original position. By this time 7 Officers had been killed, 11 wounded, including the Colonel, and 1 missing, and the strength of the Battalion in rank of file reduced to about 300.

Whilst no war diaries exist for the period a number of sources give his 'official' death as 22nd August. It is probable that at some time on the evening or night of 21/22 he was killed. Lionel was wounded in the wrist on 9th. The gathering of all available men sigs, runners etc may have to be taken with a pinch of salt!

The battalion had advance 1000 yards on 9th and suffered heavily. From 7 am until 6 pm they were pinned down and on seeing the Turks enveloping the battalion, Col B came up to the orchard and gave orders to retire 100 yards. Maj Blackburn took command as Col B was wounded in the wrist.

21.22 - They attacked Hill W but by this time only had 7 fit officers. Some movement was made but at heavy cost. Col B who had rejoined on or about 16th led the battalion forward. A letter from the General who's Brigade had found the SF wrote ' He must have done well, for he was close up to the enemy, ahead of most of his men, who were stretched out behind him, never a one with his back turned and all in perfect allignment' It is probable that they died from Machine gun fire in Dead Man's Gully. He was mentioned in Dispatches for this action.

By the end of 22 August the casualties were 12 officers killed and 17 wounded- the only officer not wounded was the MO. Other ranks - 143 killed and 321 wounded. The final total would be over 240 killed, of which 166 are named on the Helles Memorial. One of these is Col B.

Some of the officers who died have 7-11 August as date of death!

stevem