Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyne Cot.

Bob Coulson

I don't have a map but "Vieux-Chien" rang a bell since it is on my list of disappeared German cemeteries.

I find that there was a German cemetery Vieux-Chien (or Oude Hond, in Flemish) approx. 400 meters (1/4 mile north of the Menin road) and 1.5 kilometer (almost 1 mile) east of Geluveld (Geluvelt).

However, I'm not 100% sure since the name of the cemetery could also be Nachtigal or Rossignol, and that makes it a bit confusing..

But I suppose and hope Dave will help ?

Aurel

Do you by any chance have a map which shows the location of the village of Vieux-Chien near Gheluvelt circa Sept 1915.

I have a few maps that show the location of the village/hamlet (looks like only one house to me!!!), but none for 1915.

Here's one from (Dec.) 1917 (28NE ed.9A) showing it in relation to Gheluvelt with Vieux-Chien being in the bottom right of the scan...

Dave.

post-357-1115506098.jpg

And I will have a look at your maps on line, hoping to find more (German) cemeteries.

Aurel.

Here's a scan for you that you might find of interest that I haven't put on my website . 7 German cemeteries on one scan - (20SW ed.3A (May 1917))...

dave.

post-357-1115506459.jpg

Thanks, Dave, for both maps.

In spite of your addiction to Belgian beer you have a clear head, and clearly read my thoughts ! For "Nachtigaal" (German Cemetery N° 1) indeed was a problem for me, not only confusing me because of the Geluveld Nachtegaal (?), but also because I only knew that Nachtegaal N° 1 was somewhere between Merkem and Houthulst. Now I know the exact location of the hamlet.

And the first map you posted showed that Vieux-Chien is farther east of Geluveld than I thought. (3 km instead of 1.5, at least from the centre).

Aurel

And the first map you posted showed that Vieux-Chien is farther east of Geluveld than I thought. (3 km instead of 1.5, at least from the centre).

Aurel.

Here's another ,closer, view of Vieux-Chien and it's cemetery. (28NE3 ed.5A - April 1917)

Dave.

post-357-1115548194.jpg

Thanks, Dave.

And it helps me solve the Nachtegaal (= Rossignol) puzzle as well !

Aurel

Bob,

I'm going to chuck my two cents in and say that I've always assumed Tyne Cot was on Broodseinde Ridge, simply because it was captured during the Battle of Broodseinde Ridge. This, of course, doesn't take into account specifics of geography, particularly considering how the name of a battle and it's actual location often bear little relationship to each other.

Interesting thread.

Cheers,

Mat

To the map gurus, was the 'Cemetery' marked on trench maps at Keerselaarhoek a German military cemetery, not a Belgian civilian one?

Cheers,

Mat

Mat,

German military. Definitely !

(But also containing 12 UK men and 2 Can., fallen in 1914-15, and post Armistice moved to Perth Cemetery (China Wall), Zillebeke.)

Besides, civilian cemeteries at the time were always in the village centre, near and round the church.

Aurel

Well I'm still not sure whether it's Broodseinde or Passchendaele but would guess for a memorial write up either would suffice.

Any other thoughts?

Bob.