Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyne Cot.

Bob Coulson

I would agree with Paul. Between Abraham Heights and Broodseinde Ridge although nearer Broodseinde.

Aye

Malcolm

i doubt that it is Broodseinde...

it is the other side of the railroad.

official it was called Keerselaarhoek

Does this help ?

First I thought the answer was Broodseinde Ridge, then looking at the attached map I saw it was Passchendaele Ridge. But as the map does not show a Broodseinde Ridge, maybe the latter just is part of Passchendaele Ridge ? Or the southern extension ?

Anyway, Tyne Cottage and Tyne Cot Cemetery is nearer to the hamlet Broodseinde (approx. 1 km) than to Passendale centre (approx. 2 km). Whether that means TCC is on Broodseinde Ridge and not Passchendaele Ridge, don't know ...

Aurel

post-92-1115383935.jpg

I believe that what is called, on your map Aurel, Nieuwemolen is the border inbetween Broodseinde and Passchendaele ridge. As Broodseinde ridge goes to the south up to Molenaarselst!

i also tought Tyne Cot is a part of the Flandern I stellung, FlanderII was at Crest Farm...

Or is my info wrong??

All,

Thanks for the input.

The reason I ask is that I have heard and read both ridges used in connection with Tyne Cot and just wondered.

Bob.

Geographically speaking, Passchendaele village, Tyne Cot cemetery and Broodseinde are actually all on the same ridge, whatever it's name actually is!

See the attached OS map from 1917 (the darker the brown, the higher the ridge)...

Dave.

post-357-1115407308.jpg

Dave,

I'm very interested in that map for another reason : I see that 3 (German) cemeteries are marked. (1 200 meters east of present Tyne Cot Cem., and 2 at crossroads Broodseinde.)

Don't be alarmed, I'm not going to ask you : scan the whole map please. Just this : what map is this ? (They may have it in the Ypres Documentation Centre.) (And sorry, but what does OS stand for ?)

Aurel

Dave,

I'm very interested in that map for another reason : I see that 3 (German) cemeteries are marked. (1 200 meters east of present Tyne Cot Cem., and 2 at crossroads Broodseinde.)

Don't be alarmed, I'm not going to ask you : scan the whole map please. Just this : what map is this ? (They may have it in the Ypres Documentation Centre.) (And sorry, but what does OS stand for ?)

Aurel

Hi Aurel.

OS is "Ordnance Survey".

This (1:20,000) map is entitled "Polygon Wood" (part of sheet 28) edition 1B with german trenches correct to 9th September 1917 printed by F.S.Coy 1064 R.E. on 12th September 1917 (using a base developed by F.S.Coy 1003 a month previously, based on the OS maps 28NW and 28NE). As you may have gathered, it's not part of the "regular series" maps.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Dave,

Aurel

Aurel,

if you want a copy, i have the map at home!!!

Thanks, Kristof.

But first I'll have a look if it's in the Documentation Centre. If not I will let you know.

(And if I can't find the Zonneheem issue of June 2002...)

Aurel

Aurel.

If you want a clearer view of the 3 cemeteries (that map, being a "field print" isn't the clearest of them all!), take a look HERE. This is an extract from 28NE ed.9A (5th December 1917).

Dave.

Does this help ?

Aurel.

Your map brought the memories flooding back there!!! :D Am I correct in thinking that that map was drawn by Andre Deseyne about 20 years ago? It's a while since I saw that one!!!!

Thanks for that -

Dave. :)

(PS. do you know if his "Tyne Cot" book (translated into English by the late Tony de Bruyne) is still available anywhere?)

Glad I asked this question now, some good info coming forward.

Been to Tyne Cot quite a few times now and was always under the impression that when I stood with my back to the Cross of Sacrifice that I was looking at Ypres from the Passchendaele Ridge.

Any other thoughts gratefully accepted.

Bob.

(PS. do you know if his "Tyne Cot" book (translated into English by the late Tony de Bruyne) is still available anywhere?)

I think i can find a copy Dave...

Aurel.

Your map brought the memories flooding back there!!! :D  Am I correct in thinking that that map was drawn by Andre Deseyne about 20 years ago? It's a while since I saw that one!!!!

Dave. :)

Dave,

"Memories flooding back..." ? You make it sound as if you are ... But then your Personal Profile teaches me that about 2 weeks from now you will be celebrating your 1st birthday. (Which does not stop you from liking Belgian beer. Have you tried mothermilk by the way ? :lol:

Was it the map drawn by André Deseyne ? Well, it's from his book(let) Tyne Cot Passendale. (Don't know when 1st print was, mine is 3rd from 1994.)

And the initials of the person who drew the map were in the bottom right corner (which I may have cut off unintentionally) : JD. (Don't know what they stand for.)

As to Tony Debruyne's book (translation) : I can't help you, but I see Kristof has already answered.

And I will have a look at your maps on line, hoping to find more (German) cemeteries.

Aurel

I think i can find a copy Dave...

Thanks Kristof, but there's no need to bother as I've still got mine from 1986 ( I presume there wasn't much changed in the later printings?). I was just curious as I haven't seen it on sale for quite a while now.

Thanks anyway,

Dave.

your Personal Profile teaches me that about 2 weeks from now you will be celebrating your 1st birthday.

Whoops! So it does!!! :lol:

(I think I'll leave it that way. It just adds to the air of mystery!!! :P )

Dave.

Dave ( CROONAERT )

Do you by any chance have a map which shows the location of the village of Vieux-Chien near Gheluvelt circa Sept 1915. It was a hamlet near the Menin Road on the German side of the line.