Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps (Motors)

armourersergeant

These make reference to Heavy section MGC, not the MGC (Motors). To me they are two different branches. i have no arguement that the heavy section went on to be the Tank Corps.

Arm,

If the Heavy Section MGC went on to form the Tank Corps as you state, what was the fate of MGC (Motors)?

In my research, one of my MGC (Motors) men was the driver of a Mark 1V tank and was killed at Messines. His diary, photographs, and battalion War Diary all state that this was the case. (Photo of his grave posted earlier in the thread).

Where are all the tank buffs when you need them? :huh:

Derek

To answer your question the armoured car batteries and light car patrols of the MGC(Motors) which were still in existence at the end of the war were mainly taken over by the armoured car companies of the Tank Corps during 1919-1920.

It seems to me quite logical that your man was transferred from the MGC(Motors) to the Heavy Branch MGC to become a tank driver. However, if he had been a driver in the MGC(Motors) he would have been badged ASC and would have been rebadged HBMGC on transfer. this reflected trades unionism in that the ASC inisted that anyone driving an MT vehicle had to be one of theirs. This did not apply to tank drivers.

Charles M

On the question of casualties, I have found on my searches the MGC(M) in Mesopotamia took more casualties after 1918 than they did during the war, I also found a couple from Tank Corps armoured car companies. The cars were eventually handed over to the RAF who continued to use them in Iraq.

David.