The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

red cross enquiry list,1917

bernardmcilwaine

Thanks! Any mention of POW's? Lowry was an expatriated POW

Cheers,

Ann

hiya ann,there are no lowrys on the list,and its a beauty,800+men

Out of interest the 1917 enquiry list also includes some enquiries from 1916 and also includes men from the AIF and CEF. Both the AIF and CEF, as far as I'm aware, also kept their own Red Cross records.

The BRCS went to some considerable effort to establish the circumstances of a man who was posted as missing. Small teams of researchers were employed at base hospitals and sought out men who were from the same unit and interviewed them to see if they had any information to offer. Letters were also sent to the missing man's unit asking for witnesses to come forward. I have been fortunate enough to see the results of the latter and the eye-witness reports made interesting reading. In this particular case, which concerned the death of an officer whose body was not recovered, one soldier reported that he had been killed outright and suffered no pain. Two other witnesses gave different, and more realistic accounts accounts of his demise.

It is important to remember that the List is just a record of enquiries made by relatives to the Red Cross although unit and platoon information, where it is provided, and the result of the enquiry where it was known, of course adds a little more to the man's story.

Terry Reeves

Yes, please. Cheers, mate.

John

john,the missus has got the hang of scanning and sending,shes popped out to the daughters,i will send it to you,can i have your e,mail address,ps it doesnt half save time doing it this way,we have been practicing for hours,i think the queen may have got a picture of our cat in one our earlier trys,john did you see the two cpls that i posted on ID manchesters,both in your g/fathers platoon.

Hi Bernard,

Wondered if there are any Lincolns (especially 4th)...thanks

Jim

yes jim,16 of them and over 400 from the regt,one other from the yeomanry,who are you after,bernard

Hi Bernard,

Could you send the 21st London details to the following email address.

frontlineresearch@Hotmail.com

Thanks

PAUL J :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

Do you have any information on Cpl Daniel Collar[d] RAMC from the 96th Field Ambulance who died at Ypres July 26th 1917?

Many thanks

Sue

• 2 months later...
Do you have any information on Cpl Daniel Collar[d] RAMC from the 96th Field Ambulance who died at Ypres July 26th 1917?

Many thanks

Sue

sue sorry i only just saw your post,there are non for that unit sorry,bernard

hello

any coldstream gds or RWF mentioned ?

Thanks Ian

hiya ian,here you are.

t.g ashburne 15167 1st batt, 2coy

f.r cardy 15422 1st btt 3 coy

g g overton 15626 1st batt 3coy

arthur robinson 13648 1st batt 3 coy,IX platoon

a b whitehead 14289 1st batt 3 coy

five from 2nd batt

sidney masters 15770

w j moody 16221 No1 platoon

joseph picking 15051 No 1 platoon

alfred a parnell 16824 3 coy,

harry long 17457 4 coy

3 from 3rd batt

w fripp 15206 No1 coy,II platoon

henry,arnold bowdler 16491

e dewhurst 16352

all were reported killed or missing between 14-16 sept

send me your e,mail for the RWF theres two full pages,i will scan them ian,its easier on my typing finger :lol::lol:

Bernard,

As you have kindly offered, please may I have a look-up for a Major G F Claudet RFA. Reported wounded in The Times in Aug 1917 so may crop up in your list.

Many thanks,

Mark.

thanks

I have the medals to dewhurst - so adds to the details :D

will send you a pm

cheers Ian

Edited by Coldstreamer

• 1 month later...

Hello Bernard

Im fairly new to the forum. On your list do you have any mention of a private Henry Morrell

service number SR9571 He saw service in the 1st BN 4th BN 24th BN Royal Fusiliers.I have a photo of him

in uniform date unkown [ plastered in mud] and he has two wound strips on his sleeve, always wondered

where or when he was wounded.This is a LLLLLLLLong shot ,but you never know.

best regards

Andy

Hi Bernard,

Any info on 2KRRC, particularly Colour Sgt Thomas William Smith 6590, possible injured at Nieuport on 10th July 1917. Do you know how extensive this Red Cross database is and is it available for other periods of the war. Thanks for an excellent offer of assistance to us Pals!

Regards MIke

andy/mike,sorry i have only just seen your posts,theres no mention of either of them,the enquiry list can be got from tom morgan on this forum,bernard