Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dover - Dunkerque

John_Hartley

Are they? At any time of the day or night? Customer focus is evidently a priority.

I have never used the Tunnel in the day time, always at night (4 am-ish from UK) and the trains at that time are so infrequent and empty that they have tended to let you travel on whatever the next one is, regardless of whether it's earlier than the booked crossing.

It's been the same with late night returns.

Gwyn

They will do this at any time of the day if they have the spaces. If you turn up early, which we tend to do as we allow time for road delays which usually do not happen, it is worth asking if they do not offer. Not always an option at busy times though.

I’m a fair minded bloke so I will not describe the management of Norfolk Line as a bunch of ***** who should be prosecuted under Trade Description legislation for their claim that they are “dedicated to the motoring passenger”.

A letter of complaint is winging its way to the managing director of the parent company, Maersk.

Still being a fair minded sort of bloke, I am happy to publish the response I have received from R K Challenor, NorfolkLine's Head of Operations:-

"I have been forwarded your comments by Mr Woldbye as he considers the seriousness of them sufficient for me to investigate personally. As such, I can advise you of the following in the hope that you may appreciate the huge temporary problems at Dunkerque that we have.

Due to our expansion in terms of carryings we have, together with the Port of Dunkerque, decided to vastly improve the whole terminal layout and its approach roads. This work is extensive and the entire layout will change for the benefit of all concerned. However, it is painful at the moment, particularly with the enormous problems at Calais as this has only compunded the problem. We really have been upside down at busy periods! Unfortunatel, on the day you travelled we were as you witnessed, pushed to our limit and beyond. Staff were trying to marshall traffic within the terminal to make room for more traffic arriving and they were not able to get back outside the terminal for quite some time after, to assisit cars and freight to the check-ins. I can only aplogise most profusely for this lack of presence."

I'm happy to have a proper apology. It's also interesting that Norfolk Line accepts the blame, rather than trying to pass it on to the Immigration Service (who, I reckoned, were the root cause of the problem). However, I have to comment that if the amount of traffic that day was overwhelming them, then I would hate to see a really busy day. However, they seem to be accepting that chaos is likely to reign for a while longer, so I still won't be going that route for the foreseeable. I look forward to seeing some positive comments from Forum members about future crossings that might tempt me back.

John

Did Spedferries this weekend. Excellent value at 71 Euros return. The only negative is that access and egress to and from the terminal is difficult; it's badly signed with a very complex road network to navigate in and around the town centre. There's also a complex roundabout cum cross-roads about 100 metres from the entrance which requires an A Level in Priorité à la Droite to negotiate. Apart from that it was OK

Just returned from the battlefields using Norfolk Line Dover to Dunkirk. No problems travelling from Dover and only a slight delay (10 Minutes) returning from Dunkirk at 17:45. My caravaning friend informed me that he would be happy to use the Norfolk line service in the future (our early booking fee £54:00) well worth it. I could see that problems that you mentioned John in the oraganiastion of cars and truck using the same que. It was slow with one operator having to move from one side of the kiosk to the other, They was also checking all the cars and trucks for illegal imigrants (I presume).

Was we Lucky??

Cheers

Paul

I could see that problems that you mentioned John in the oraganiastion of cars and truck using the same que. It was slow with one operator having to move from one side of the kiosk to the other, They was also checking all the cars and trucks for illegal imigrants (I presume).

Paul

Situation sounds exactly like we had. How long did it take for you to check-in, from joining the queue (as you'll have seen from the above, we were around 45 minutes).

John

[

Situation sounds exactly like we had. How long did it take for you to check-in, from joining the queue (as you'll have seen from the above, we were around 45 minutes).

John

About 10 minutes after check in we was boarding the Ferry

Cheers

Paul

About 10 minutes after check in we was boarding the Ferry

But, Paul, how long in the queue to check in?

We didnt have problems after that (apart from the fact we'd missed the damn ferry)

John

John,

Why didn't you use your other ticket - after all you had booked with two companies?

Coz I was stuck in a check-in queue that was only 8 vehicles long which took 45 minutes to get to the front. Why do think I'm so bloody angry about it!!!

John,

When I commenced my recent move to Ypres I was using a 5.2 tonne truck. I realise not the norm for us visitors to the battlefields!! Following ridiculous quotes from P & O and seafrance for a three day return (£325) I approached Norfolkline and was quoted a fare for £49. Needless to say I was chuffed to bits. Normally I use either Hoverspeed or Speedferries but was unable to due to vehicle size. I found the Norfolkline ferry clean, quiet and the galley food excellent in quality and value, two full english breakfasts for £4.98 :o It beat the "You know what" out of P & O and Seafrance. Fair enough the journey is about 40 mins longer than a Dover-Calais ferry but then if you are heading to Ypres first it cuts out that monotonous (short) drive from Calais to Dunkirk. I found I slept like a log there and back in those sleeper seats on top lounge. I do appreciate that your problems with Norfolk line were not on the ship itself but on dry land, but I would give it another go. I think I remember you saying in a previous posting that you enjoyed using the ferry as you enjoyed it as you would a mini cruise (or words to that effect), surely you cannot fault the standard of the ferry, especially when comparing it with the plastic tackiness of the P and O and Seafrance ships. i would let your bad experience go as water under the bridge and think again.

Iain

Hedley,

Wow, for once I will agree with you on something :P I use speed ferries and Hoverspeed. Speedferries I have found recently to be excellent value. It only cost me £19 one way with car the other day! You are also right about the directions into Bolougne, especially that last part! As speedferries only operate one vessel and as the season progresses they are becoming choc a bloc, pals may be interested to know of a website that offers Hoverspeed crossings (Dover-Calais) at a great rate. Until Speedferries started I used to use this website www.ferrysale.com

Iain

Iain

As I said in the original post, I thought the on-board service with Norfolk was brill. Seats, brekkie, quietness, cleanliness, etc

It will be a while before I'm over again so will see if the planned improvements to the Dunkerque terminal improve matters.

John

But, Paul, how long in the queue to check in?

We didnt have problems after that (apart from the fact we'd missed the damn ferry)

John

Total queing time was about 45 minutes this includes the time before we booked in. Arrived at the docks at 15:45 and was boarded about 16:30.

It was not busy.

Paul

The problem at Boulogne is that the entry to the port was designed in the days of large ferries coming in and cars loaded both from sea level and also from the top of the terminal building.

Since P&O pulled out without notice, Boulogne has changed a bit and simply left the port on the side.

They are now improving the entrance as fast as they can. I would guess that by the end of the year things will be much simpler.

Mind you, it's still simpler that it used to be getting to the ferryport at calais, with all the driving through villages and round the back of the houses.

Personally I hate them, but bear them with a stiff upper lip.

q: ian, do you mean queues or frenchmen?

(with apologies)

regards

doogal