Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any help with this bayonet

CheshireRifles

Hello Forum members.

I recently bought a bayonet. 
and trying to research the markings

anyone have anymore information on this? 

Any help will be great 

thank you  

IMG_2765.jpeg

IMG_2764.jpeg

IMG_2763.jpeg

IMG_2762.jpeg

IMG_2761.jpeg

IMG_2760.jpeg

IMG_2766.jpeg

British P1907 Bayonet produced by Wilkinson in May of 1916 reinspected in 1930

The scabbard is a WWII Australian produced example - looks to be dated 1944 ('44)

Chris

7 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

British P1907 Bayonet produced by Wilkinson in May of 1916 reinspected in 1930

The scabbard is a WWII Australian produced example - looks to be dated 1944 ('44)

Chris

So the scabbard isn’t the one that was issued with this bayonet. ? 

or would it of been given a new scabbard in the 1930s-40s? 

4 hours ago, CheshireRifles said:

So the scabbard isn’t the one that was issued with this bayonet. ? 

or would it of been given a new scabbard in the 1930s-40s? 

No it would have been issued with a scabbard around its date- and English not Australian 

lots of excess Australian scabbard were about after WW2.

unless the bayonet has any markings indicating use in the Australian armed forces during WW2 it is not original to the piece and has just been added 

kind regards

g

It reminds me of the Remington P1913 bayonet I purchased from World Wide Arms in the early 00’s. (They had a quantity) It came in a near mint WWII Australian scabbard. I have a suspicion that WWA acquired the bayonets without scabbards and paired them with an Australian scabbard which were probably part of the quantities of weapons and accessories that came out of the Australian war reserve to the UK in the 1990s.

It all turned out nicely as a couple of years later I acquired a near mint but scabbardless OA made WWII Australian P1907 and put the two together.

PS. IIRC the P13 bayonet now lives in this currently deeply buried Australian marked P1907 scabbard:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/212419-1907-pattern-bayonet-scabbard-throat-markings/#comment-2098986

Edit. Picture I have on file. Looks like an early scabbard.

1913 Pattern - Remington May 1916 - 1.jpeg

Edited by peregrinvs

1 minute ago, peregrinvs said:

It reminds me of the Remington P1913 bayonet I purchased from World Wide Arms in the early 00’s. (They had a quantity) It came in a near mint WWII Australian scabbard. I have a suspicion that WWA acquired the bayonets without scabbards and paired them with an Australian scabbard which were probably part of the quantities of weapons and accessories that came out of the Australian war reserve to the UK in the 1990s.

It all turned out nicely as a couple of years later I acquired a near mint but scabbardless OA made WWII Australian P1907 and put the two together.

PS. IIRC the P13 bayonet now lives in this currently deeply buried Australian marked P1907 scabbard:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/212419-1907-pattern-bayonet-scabbard-throat-markings/#comment-2098986

Australia kept rather huge quantities of spares right until the last 1907s were finally removed from the last cadet units. Even in the last couple years, new old stock 40s mangrovite scabbards can still be purchased. Owens are particular common, but cardboard boxes of 17” 1907s and grip scales can still be bought 

kind regards

g

On 30/04/2024 at 13:41, navydoc16 said:

Australia kept rather huge quantities of spares right until the last 1907s were finally removed from the last cadet units. Even in the last couple years, new old stock 40s mangrovite scabbards can still be purchased. Owens are particular common, but cardboard boxes of 17” 1907s and grip scales can still be bought 

Yes I have an Owen bayonet (and an L1A2) as well. More examples of things I acquired in the UK circa 20-25 years ago when Australian stuff was relatively cheap and plentiful.

2 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

Yes I have an Owen bayonet (and an L1A2) as well. More examples of things I acquired in the UK circa 20-25 years ago when Australian stuff was relatively cheap and plentiful.

Yes not so much anymore, Great War 1907s are typically bringing 300 AUD in nice condition. There is a lot of quite serious collectors over here and around the world- we did a lot of interesting domestic stuff which is fun- much like the Indian bayonets.

kind regards

g