Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rainbow Brothers Leamington - all three killed Somme and Passchendaele

David_Blanchard

Managed to acquire photographs of 2 of the Rainbow brothers killed in the war- Frank and Albert and also of their elder brother Charles a policeman. 

David 

FBDBE485-A3CE-49DE-B4E6-B23A2127CE75.jpeg

40F8F9D1-AF12-4F93-9F5C-78CE834DDF28.jpeg

0B758498-21AC-46A0-A38B-868DE1DF5632.jpeg

1 hour ago, David_Blanchard said:

Managed to acquire photographs of 2 of the Rainbow brothers killed in the war- Frank and Albert and also of their elder brother Charles a policeman. 

Always great to put faces to names.

One slight query - is the policeman possibly father Charles rather than brother Charles?

Of course brother Charles may have had a hard life - some of the newspaper reports I believe recorded him as the victim of a serious assault pre-war, and while I did do a systematic search the impression I got from the Great War era newspapers was that he was working as a detective. I've no expertise on police uniforms but the style to me looks more pre-war than post-war. Brother Charles would only have been about 42 at the time of the 1921 Census. The man in the photograph looks at least that if not older - although of course with that caveat about maybe having had a hard life. It also means we don't know if he ever held the rank of Police Sergeant unless that is what it says on the 1921 Census for his occupation.

However if the picture was taken between the 1901 Census when father Charles, aged 50, was a Police Sergeant and the 1911 Census when he was a 61 year old Police Pensioner that would seem just as plausible.

Cheers,
Peter

1 hour ago, David_Blanchard said:

Whilst not wanting to jump on PRC's waggon [which I actually have] I too do think this looks more like an older man and potentially pre-war.

Possibly not for much further discussion here ...  his Warrant Number / collar badge "1" looks an interesting one - There may well be a useful Descriptive Register for him at his his Police Force, ???

M

Edited by Matlock1418

I believe it is brother Charles from what the family says. There is also this photograph of Charles, which may or may not clarify things.

*Looking at 1901 census Charles Rainbow - father- was a police Sargeant. 

David 

BA731A0E-6436-4AD5-9772-1855E7074743.jpeg

Edited by David_Blanchard

3 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

I believe it is brother Charles from what the family says. There is also this photograph of Charles, which may or may not clarify things.

Hopefully one of the medal experts will take a look but possibly the medal on the left is the Queens South Africa Medal with three clasps. The various processing methods of black and white film had different colour sensitivities, so sometime light colours can turn out very dark on the print and vice versa.

QueensSAMedalribboncropsourcedwwwbadwellashheritagecouk.jpg.5236ae3979d76646f34e067be608a9d9.jpg

Image courtesy www badwellashheritage co uk

While authorisation to wear the medal happened shortly after the conflict. I believe when I've had opportunity to look at the medal rolls in the past they were dated more like 1904/05 for the medals to be issued. Either way Charles the father was already a Sergeant, and that isn't reflected in the man we see here.  I would have thought he was wearing a ceremonial police uniform of the pre-Great War era but perhaps @FROGSMILE would be kind enough to cast an eye over it as it does have have military elements. And of course no number on the collar, as seen on the picture of a police sergeant posted earlier.

When I originally posted about the family genealogy what I didn't mention was that I couldn't find Charles John Rainbow, the son, on the 1901 Census of England & Wales - as a man in his early twenties he would have been of a prime age to have been serving and there was a long standing connection between the personnel of army and police force.

If it is a Boer War related medal - still to be proven - then father Charles in his early fifties was getting a bit on the old side for campaigning. While he could have served out in South Africa prior to the 1901 Census and been honourably discharged, (time served \ medically unfit), he'd be going some to have made Sergeant by the date of the census, (31st March 1901). And its hard to think of the Army taking him after that date and for him subsequently to be taken back by the Leamington police force. Note he is referred on the 1911 Census as a Police Pensioner, not an Army Pensioner.

I don't know if Police Officers are allowed to wear their ribbons generally, or just attach their medals for ceremonial occasions.. Obviously the picture of the sergeant has no ribbons on display, but that may simply be because it was not permitted to wear them.

I take it that the latest picture is believed to be a younger version of the Police Sergeant. While I can see a family resemblance, my personal opinion for what it's worth is that they are not the same man.

CharlesRainbowcomparisonv1.png.58e4277db4eb981695de3612a5f1cbfc.png

No new IP is claimed for the above, and all image rights, if any, remain with the current owners.

Cheers,
Peter

8 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

David 

Upon first examination he seems to be dressed as a member of the Corps of Army Schoolmasters and wearing a ‘staff sergeants’ (in the same context as ‘staff officers’) patrol jacket.

Another organisation that wore a plain crown in that way was Her Majesty’s Prison Service during the Edwardian and subsequent Georgian reign, but the especially immaculate turnout of the uniform convinces me that he is British Army in the aforementioned role.  If I’m correct it’s a relatively rare image, as the corps was small and exclusive.

The staff sergeants patrol jackets are a subject in themselves.  They do not appear in clothing regulations for other ranks, and all the visual evidence suggests that they were organised and authorised at unit level as a bespoke item paid for at probably subsidised rates.

I don’t think he’s a police officer, who generally wore distinctive and varied constabulary insignia.  I’ve not seen a plain crown worn before, but it was used as a badge of rank for I think Superintendent (and so perhaps for their cap insignia too).   However, senior police officers did wear a very militaristic uniform style at that time and jackets, leather gloves, and caps of that style were not uncommon.  Is it known what the county constabulary associated with the family was?

I would date the photo to around 1910+/-  The uppermost enclosed photo (only) was the same, army schoolmaster appointment just after the 2nd Boer War.  Although common in the infantry, collar badges only really evolved to be worn widely in the rest of the army after the aforementioned war, and even then not generally on service dress (i.e. in the field).

NB.  The correct shoulder cords for a schoolmaster have a bulbous end associated by style with one favoured by the sappers and that doesn’t seem to be the present.  Police uniforms for senior officers generally favoured plaited shoulder cords in black mohair or worsted and that appears to be the case here.  See below photo of Gloucestershire police officer with similar insignia.

IMG_3953.jpeg

IMG_3954.jpeg

IMG_3955.jpeg

IMG_3955.jpeg

IMG_3958.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

David 

FBDBE485-A3CE-49DE-B4E6-B23A2127CE75.jpeg

40F8F9D1-AF12-4F93-9F5C-78CE834DDF28.jpeg

The two in army uniform look so similar that I thought they might be the same man, initially as a private and subsequently as an officer.  Would that fit with family history?  Many early war volunteers recruited to the army from well educated families rose from the ranks in that manner quite quickly.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Many thanks again for the time and effort that has been put into my enquiry.

@FROGSMILE fairly certain that the officer in the Warwicks was Albert Rainbow, he was initially  in the Royal Fusiliers as an OR and was then an officer in the Warwick. The other brother Frank was an OR in the Warwicks when he was killed.

David 

Edited by David_Blanchard

• Admin
1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

The two in army uniform look so similar that I thought they might be the same man,

They have the same, if not very similar ear lobes.

28 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

Many thanks again for the time and effort that has been put into my enquiry.

@FROGSMILE fairly certain that the officer in the Warwicks was Albert Rainbow, he was initiating in the Royal Fusiliers as an OR and was then an officer in the Warwick. The other brother Frank was an OR in the Warwicks when he was killed.

David 

Thanks David, some brothers are more alike in facial features than others and this seems to be a good example of that.

9 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

They have the same, if not very similar ear lobes.

Yes they look more than averagely alike I think Bob.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Another photograph of Albert Rainbow. In this photograph I think he looks different to his brother Frank.

David 

F07F77D7-C324-4A54-88E3-ACC54B7E3B1F.jpeg

• Admin
26 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes they look more than averagely alike I think Bob.

A brother thing I believe, in this instance.

@David_Blanchard thanks or sharing these pictures, they put these men back on the stage.

The picture of the OR would have a Fusilier cap badge if he were the same man as the Officer with the floppy cap Warwickshire.

If that makes scene?

So you have them correct. Sorry if that sounds like I am telling you how to suck eggs.

A quick check of the British Newspaper Archive shows the son, Charles John Rainbow, promoted Inspector in 1922, (Birmingham Daily Gazette, 2nd December 1922 \ Coventry Evening Telegraph 1st December 1922 \ Leamington Spa Courier 1st December 1922 )

He came up for retirement in 1929, having completed 28 years with the force. (Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser 2nd November 1929). Which would tie in with a 1901 return from South Africa, for example.

Daughter Norah Lavinia Rainbow married in 1943 - reports on the wedding refer to her fathers long service with the Leamington Constabulary. (Leamington Spa Courier 5th February 1943).

There are numerous reports of him in court and coroners inquest, showing going from Police-Constable to Detective Constable to Inspector - but while I may just have been unlucky with the results presented, I didn't come across a single reference to him being a Sergeant - only his father is referred to with that rank.

Similarly with father - nothing higher than police sergeant.

The British Newspaper Archive transcription of this article from 1901 is down to it's usual low standard but probably just enough to suggest it would be worth checking out.

BNAScreenshotCRainbow300424.png.d658f07fe400f1a6e11251d5cf77400d.png
Image courtesy the British Newspaper Archive.

A trawl of the internet has brought up some more pictures of senior officers of the Leamington Constabulary. Perhap the uniform in the picture of Charles Rainbow, (junior or senior) is less ornate to reflect that he is in a relatively junior senior role.

LeamingtonConstabularyseniorofficersuniformcomparisonv1.png.ae8baaec49d4f81a64a942ac3f635515.png

No new IP is claimed for the above, and all image rights, if any, remain with the current owners.

Image sources

a] William Thomas Edwards Chief Inspector of Leamington Constabulary 1898-1909 – image courtesy
https://leamingtonhistory.co.uk/william-thomas-edwards-chief-inspector-of-police-1842-1909/

b] Thomas Taylor Earnshaw, Chief Constable of Royal Leamington Spa 1902-1938 – image courtesy https://leamingtonhistory.co.uk/thomas-taylor-earnshaw-chief-constable-of-royal-leamington-spa-1902-1938/

One for the family - this family history website has a picture of "Leamington Spa" Police believed to date from the 1880's / 1890's and so may feature the father, Charles Rainbow. https://detectivebrown.wordpress.com/

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typos

42 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

Another photograph of Albert Rainbow. In this photograph I think he looks different to his brother Frank.

David 

F07F77D7-C324-4A54-88E3-ACC54B7E3B1F.jpeg

There’s certainly a different perspective side on.  The field pieces look like Indian screw guns (or perhaps naval artillery), I wonder where the photo was taken.

18 minutes ago, PRC said:

A quick check of the British Newspaper shows the son, Charles John Rainbow, promoted Inspector in 1922, (Birmingham Daily Gazette, 2nd December 1922 \ Coventry Evening Telegraph 1st December 1922 \ Leamington Spa Courier 1st December 1922 )

He came up for retirement in 1929, having completed 28 years with the force. (Warwick and Warwickshire Advertiser 2nd November 1929). Which would tie in with a 1901 return from South Africa, for example.

Daughter Norah Lavina Rainbow married in 1943 - reports on the wedding refer to her fathers long service with the Leamington Constabulary. (Leamington Spa Courier 5th February 1943).

There are numerous reports of him in court and coroners inquest, showing going from Police-Constable to Detective Constable to Inspector - but while I may just have been unlucky with the results presented, I didn't come across a single reference to him being a Sergeant - only his father is referred to with that rank.

The British Newspaper Archive transcription of this article from 1901 is down to it's usual low standard but probably just enough to suggest it would be worth checking out.

A trawl of the internet has brought up some more pictures of senior officers of the Leamington Constabulary. Perhap the uniform in the picture of Charles Rainbow, (junior or senior) is less ornate to reflect that he is in a relatively junior senior role.

LeamingtonConstabularyseniorofficersuniformcomparisonv1.png.ae8baaec49d4f81a64a942ac3f635515.png

Image sources

a] William Thomas Edwards Chief Inspector of Leamington Constabulary 1898-1909 – image courtesy
https://leamingtonhistory.co.uk/william-thomas-edwards-chief-inspector-of-police-1842-1909/

b] Thomas Taylor Earnshaw, Chief Constable of Royal Leamington Spa 1902-1938 – image courtesy https://leamingtonhistory.co.uk/thomas-taylor-earnshaw-chief-constable-of-royal-leamington-spa-1902-1938/

One for the family - this family history website has a picture of "Leamington Spa" Police believed to date from the 1880's / 1890's and so may feature the father, Charles Rainbow. https://detectivebrown.wordpress.com/

Cheers,
Peter

The crown cap badge has really puzzled me.  Perhaps for a period it was the cap insignia for all senior police officers once they reached office-bound/ staff rank.  Your officer a. has it and so too the photos I posted above, but for your officer b. a seemingly new pattern altogether is worn.

His uniform as an Inspector (assuming that’s what it is) is I think the smartest that I have ever seen.  He wouldn’t look out of place in a Brigade of Guards barracks.

Edited by FROGSMILE

20 hours ago, PRC said:

A quick check of the British Newspaper Archive shows the son, Charles John Rainbow, promoted Inspector in 1922, (Birmingham Daily Gazette, 2nd December 1922 \ Coventry Evening Telegraph 1st December 1922 \ Leamington Spa Courier 1st December 1922 )

Daughter Norah Lavinia Rainbow married in 1943 - reports on the wedding refer to her fathers long service with the Leamington Constabulary. (Leamington Spa Courier 5th February 1943).

Image sources

Cheers,
Peter

Hello,

I have access to the newspaper archives, this is the article. I thought I'd post it in case it was of use....

image.png.5258608f717329432938a5f17c1937d6.png

2 hours ago, DanP said:

I have access to the newspaper archives, this is the article. I thought I'd post it in case it was of use....

Thanks Dan - so out to South Africa in December 1900 and back in the UK by August 1901 would definately explain why Charles the son doesn't turn up on the census taken on the 31st March 1901 :)

On 30/04/2024 at 13:39, David_Blanchard said:

Suspect we may never find out for sure what those medals that police officer is wearing although my money is on the one on the left being the Queens South Africa Medal. The one on the right, (as we look at them), may not be military but relate to his work with the St John's Ambulance or be a Police Good Conduct \ Long Service \ Gallantry award.

Cheers,
Peter

2 hours ago, PRC said:

Thanks Dan - so out to South Africa in December 1900 and back in the UK by August 1901 would definately explain why Charles the son doesn't turn up on the census taken on the 31st March 1901 :)

Suspect we may never find out for sure what those medals that police officer is wearing although my money is on the one on the left being the Queens South Africa Medal. The one on the right, (as we look at them), may not be military but relate to his work with the St John's Ambulance or be a Police Good Conduct \ Long Service \ Gallantry award.

Cheers,
Peter

I think you’re right about the medal at left with three clasps.  The medal at right is a puzzle though, as the police long service and good conduct medal was only introduced in the early 1950s.  The white edges to the ribbon are reminiscent of the Army Long Service and Good Conduct medal, to whose ribbon white edges were added between the wars.