Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rainbow Brothers Leamington - all three killed Somme and Passchendaele

David_Blanchard

Three brothers:

Lieutenant Albert Edward Rainbow- kia 10th Warwickshire 23 July 19116- Thiepval Memorial 

Corporal Hugh William MM Royal Horse Artillery -  Kia 4 October 1917- buried in Tyne Cot

Private Frank Grosvenor Rainbow - 16th Warwicks- Kia 27 October 1917 - remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

All brothers from Leamington. I have found relevant details of each ie MIC, a little bit from war diaries ( haven't found MM for Hugh William Rainbow) - all from Ancestry - some more details from IWM site, but nothing really personal. No references in newspapers, or websites commenting on the devastating loss of three brothers and no photographs of the men.

Any further details are welcome.

David  

Edited by David_Blanchard

Just found reference to Bombardier  H W Rainbow's MM on another thread

image.png.5dbb4338d47f295d46871855e0bf6456.png

David 

Have you tried WFA/Fold3 pension records?

1 hour ago, David_Blanchard said:

Corporal Hugh William MM Royal Horse Artillery -  Kia 4 October 1917- buried in Tyne Cot

I seem to have looked at this chap sometimes before [I can't recall why]

614181 https://www.fold3.com/search?docQuery=(filters:!((type:general.title.id,values:!((label:'UK,+WWI,+Pension+Ledgers+and+Index+Cards,+1914-1923',value:'1019')))),keywords:'rainbow,614181',sortOrder:ALPHABETICAL)

Widow: Winifred, b. 15.5.83, 25 Rosefield St, Leamington.  Daughter: Winifred Eleanor b.10.2.10

LG for MM https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30287/supplement/9611

1 hour ago, David_Blanchard said:

Private Frank Grosvenor Rainbow - 16th Warwicks- Kia 27 October 1917 - remembered Tyne Cot Memorial

692 https://www.fold3.com/search?docQuery=(filters:!((type:general.title.id,values:!((label:'UK,+WWI,+Pension+Ledgers+and+Index+Cards,+1914-1923',value:'1019')))),keywords:'rainbow,692',sortOrder:ALPHABETICAL)

Mother's name and address as CWGC

M

Edited by Matlock1418
MM LG & link

Many thanks for your help.

David 

Excellent Bob,

Thanks once again.

David 

Albert Edward Rainbow.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) records him as aged 24 when he died on the 23rd July 1916 – so born c1892. He was the Son of Charles and Harriett Rainbow, of 5, Farley St., Leamington Spa. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1550051/albert-edward-rainbow/

MiC shows him originally serving in the ranks with the 11th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers, (service number RF/456) before being discharged in May 1915 in order to take up a commission with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He first landed in France on the 20th May 1916. When his mother applied for his medals in 1922 she was already living at 5 Farley Street, Leamington Spa – the information from the CWGC is likely to date from the mid-1920’s when it was the contact address they held from communicating with the next of kin about the proposed permanent memorial.
No obvious missing person enquiry received by the International Committee of the Red Cross.
No obvious entry in the Civil Probate Calendar.

Hugh William Rainbow.

CWGC has no additional information, although his body was recovered from a battlefield burial in early 1921, so may originally have been recorded as missing, (TBC). https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/464360/h-w-rainbow/
Soldiers Died in the Great War records him as born and resident Leamington – no place of residence shown.
No obvious missing person enquiry received by the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Frank Grosvenor Rainbow.

CWGC records him as aged 23 when he died on the 27th October 1917 – so born c1894. He was the Son of Harriett Rainbow, of 5, Farley St., Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, and the late Charles Rainbow. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/830133/frank-grosvenor-rainbow/
Soldiers died in the Great War records him as born St. Paul’s, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, and enlisted Leamington Spa. No place of residence is shown.

The birth of a Hugh William Rainbow, mothers maiden name Taylor, was registered with the civil authorities in the Warwick District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1881. The area covered by the Warwick Civil Registration District included the civil parishes of Leamington and Leamington Priors. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/warwick.html

The baptism of a Hugh William Rainbow, no date of birth noted in the Parish Register, took place at All Saints, Leamington, on the 14th August 1881. Parents were Charles, a Police Constable, and Harriett. The family were living at Rumbugh Terrace in the parish. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XXYK-8LQ

On the 1891 Census of England & Wales the Rainbow family were recorded living at 75 Clapham Terrace, Leamington. Father Charles, aged 41, was a Police Constable from Leamington. Mother Harriett was aged 40 and from Walsall, Staffordshire. Children living with them at that time were:-
Lily………aged 15….born Walsall…. Dressmakers Apprentice
Charles J…aged 12…born Walsall…..Errand Boy.
Hugh W….aged 10…born Leamington
Grace E….aged 8……born Leamington
Alice D….aged 1……born Leamington

The birth of an Albert Edward Rainbow, mothers maiden name Taylor, was registered with the civil authorities in the Warwick District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1892.The baptism of an Albert Edward Rainbow, no date of birth noted in the Parish Register, took place at All Saints, Leamington, on the 28th August 1892. Parents were Charles, a Policeman, and Harriett. The family were living at Clapham Terrace in the parish. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XXY2-7XK

The birth of a Frank Grosvenor Rainbow, mothers maiden name Taylor, was registered with the civil authorities in the Warwick District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1894. The baptism of a Frank Grosvenor Rainbow, no date of birth noted in the Parish Register, took place at All Saints, Leamington, on the 26th August 1894. Parents were Charles, a Police Constable, and Harriett. The family were living at Holly Walk in the parish. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XXY2-HV1

By the time of the 1901 Census of England & Wales the family had moved to 4 Somers Place, Leamington Priors. Father Charles, (50), was now a Police Sergeant. Along with wife “Harriet” he shared the house with children:-
Hugh W…..aged 20….born Leamington…..Waiter (Inn)
Grace E…..aged 18….born Leamington……Dresmaker
Alice D…..aged 11….born Leamington
Albert G….aged 8……born Leamington
Frank G….aged 6……born Leamington.

The marriage of a Hugh William Rainbow to a Winifred Ingleby was recorded in the Warwick District in Q3 1908.

The birth of a Winifred Eleanor Rainbow, mothers maiden name Ingleby, was registered with the civil authorities in the Warwich District in Q1 1910. The civil birth records for England & Wales do not bring up any additional instances of children registered with the surname Rainbow, mothers’  maiden name Ingleby.

I don’t have subscription access to the British Newspaper Archive but this might be worth checking out. In a snippet that can be seen in the Nottingham Guardian dated 28 January 1911 an A. E. Rainbow fron Leamington Municipal School seems to be receiving some kind of scholarship or academic award.

By the time of 1911 Census of England & Wales was taken on the 2nd April 1911,  Charles, (61, Police Pensioner) and Harriett Rainbow, (60) were recorded at 2 Clarence Terrace, Warwick Street, Leamington Spa. The couple state they have been married 37 years, the union producung 13 children of which 7 were then still alive.  Still single and living at home are daughter Alice Dora Rainbow, (21, Printers Embosser) and sons Albert Edward Rainbow, (18, Student) and Frank Grosvenor Rainbow, (16, Auctioneers Clerk).

And also on the 1911 Census of England & Wales the 29 year old Hugh William Rainbow, a Waiter born Leamington, was recorded as the married head of the household at 25 Rosefield Street, Leamington. He lives there with his wife of two years, Winifred Rainbow, aged 27 and born Leamington. The union has produced one child so far – the 1 year old Winifred Eleanor, born Leamington.

May be a co-incidence but the death of a 61 year old Charles Rainbow was recorded in the Warwick District in Q3 1911. No obvious entry in the Probate Calendar.

A 614181 Bombardier H.W. Rainbow, R.H.A. appears in a list of Military Medal winners in the Birmingham Mail, (20th September 1917), Coventry Standard, (21st September 1917) and Kenilworth Advertiser (22nd September 1917) and probably many others. There won’t be a citation shown.

Another snippet from the British Newpaper Archive that might be worthwhile checking follows on from several wartime reports of a “Detective Rainbow” of the Leamington Police.  In the Leamington Spa Courier dated 9th November 1917 it reads “Detective Rainbow of the Leamington Borough Police Force, is Mrs. Rainbow’s only surviving son.

In 1910 there were reports in the Leamington newspapers of assault on a Police Constable Rainbow. May be a co-incidence but on the 1911 Census of England & Wales there is a 32 year old Charles John Rainbow, a Police Constable employed by Leamington Borough Council and born Walsall, Staffordshire, who was recorded as the married head of the household at 19a Leam Street, Leamington Spa. He lives there with his wife of 4 years, Hannah Raindow, (38, born Castle Greasley, Derbyshire) and their only child so far, the 3 year old Alice Margaret Rainbow, born Leamington. Charles would seem to link back to the older brother of Hugh, Albert and Frank shown on the 1891 Census schedule.

The 1918 Probate Calendar records that a Hugh William Rainbow, of 25, Rosefield Street, Leamington Spa, died 4th October 1917 “in France of Belgium”. Probate was granted to Winifred Rainbow, widow.

Is that the sort of thing you were after?

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Formatting

Good morning, I have posted what information I have collected over the years reference Corp H.W. Rainbow, my interest him was that he was a member of the 2/1st Warwickshire Royal Horse Artillery, hope these snippets help,

Kind Regards,

Brian

military medals a.png

rainbow 2019.jpg

rainbow m.m.png

rainbow mm script.pdf

Good morning David, if you look on the forum you will find the thread referencing the location of where his body was located, this was thanks of the forum members,

Regards,

Brian

Peter and Brian,

absolutely brilliant- many thanks for all of the additional information you have provided. 

Brian do you have a link to the forum thread which contains information of where H W Rainbow’s body was located? I have had a quick look but cannot find it.

David 

3 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

link to the thread which contains information of where H W Rainbow’s body was located?

See: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/464360/h-w-rainbow

Concentration / COG BR sheet at bottom of his commemoration page  https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/464360/h-w-rainbow/#&gid=2&pid=1

M

Morning Matlock,

I have the details from CWGC and have plotted where he was buried- I think- via Tmapper. But many thanks for your help.

David

image.png

image.png

Burial of H W Rainbow present day map.png

3 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

I have the details from CWGC and have plotted where he was buried- I think- via Tmapper.

:unsure: Please don't ask me to check your workings

@Howard or @WhiteStarLine are the real TrenchMapper experts

M

• Admin
2 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

I have the details from CWGC and have plotted where he was buried- I think

His body was found in grid square 11 David. 11.c.8.5.

You are correct in putting the marker in c.8.5.  it just needs to be in grid square 11 instead of grid square 18.

This is the post you were looking for I believe and it will explain it well.

Regards, Bob.

7 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

This is the post you were looking for I believe and it will explain it well.

Regards, Bob.

Ah yes, I now note I posted in that earlier thread - that's why I had previously noted his pension details.

It was the "SE" Sheet number that was throwing me out this time and that was discussed in the earlier thread.

M

I can't remember whether this video covers the Rainbows, but it does mention another multiple loss to a Leamington family. You might enjoy it. See 

Many thanks all- Mr Baker you have never looked finer!

I think it was the Russell family.

David 

Hi David, I would like to send you a e mail, but for the life of me I have forgotten how, a prompt would be helpful,

Regards,

Brian

Brian,

I have sent to my email in a pm. 

David 

Does anyone have access to the Newspaper Archive? There seems to be a notice concerning the death of Frank Rainbow on 9th November 1917 in the Leamington Courier. 

David 

E70383A8-6A10-45E7-8591-B06F5F0282CA.jpeg

I hope you can get a copy of that page before you go, 

Regards, 

Brian 

From twitter- where I asked for a look up.

David 

A4BAEE18-C6A4-46E0-B206-DF856184462E.jpeg

Hi David, 

Thank you for posting a copy of the page referencing the Rainbow sons, I will add it to my files 

Regards,

Brian 

Hi David,

Searching the newspaper archive I have found the following about the Rainbow brothers. Hopefully it'll add a little to what's already been found. Sadly, I haven't seen any photographs.

Second Lieutenant A E Rainbow - Leamington Spa Courier - Friday 04 August 1916

image.png.2ff6d049409a63ff5405ad2c9ac0ab6e.png

Private F G Rainbow - Leamington Spa Courier - Friday 15 June 1917

image.png.5f0f07abb787a35abcbd6bf6a4b8f171.png

Corporal H W Rainbow - Leamington Spa Courier - Friday 12 October 1917

image.png.a2e4a75da3d62989ad84bd8ac9e66c08.png

Excellent, Dan, many thanks again.

David