Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The first gas attack - 22/4/15

PhilB

I just read the regimental history of IR 49. Before their attack on the Russian front trench at Humin, own artillery prepared the attack with T-(Gas-) grenades on 2 February 1915. The attack was severely slowed down, when own troops reaches the gassed Russian trenches and had to protect themselves against the gas. Also the further advance and pressing on fleeing Russian troops was hampered by own gas.

I suppose it was always a problem with gas that it could cause as much damage to your own side as to the enemy. Couldn't they see that before they used it?

What's IR 49?

Marina

Couldn't they see that before they used it?

What's IR 49?

Marina

Marina.

IR 49 was the German 49th Infantry Regiment ("6.Pommersches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.49"), part of the 8th Brigade of the 4th Division.

They probably could see the problems with gas, but, whenever it was used, the attacker is always at the mercy of meteorological conditions. If the weather (especially wind) changes unexpectedly, then the effectivenes of a chemical attack can be severely hampered (see the British experience at Loos for example).

Dave.

Marina, Dave already explained some aspects. About the facts for 2 Feb 1915 at IR 49: the history says that the German batteries fired gas the last 10 minutes preparation fire before the action; when the soldiers saw the Russians fleeing or dying (the trenches were separated by 100meters only) the soldiers could not be stopped and assaulted the Russian trenches too early =own stupidity, or today one would say no discipline??

Anyway they managed to cross the own gas alleys with headaches, some were unconcsious for a couple of hours.

Thanks, Dave and Egbert. I suppose in their eagerness to clinch the victory, they just rushed over, Egbert. And since gas was new, perhaps the men had no real concept of how dangerous it was? Or erhaps in the heat of battle they didn;t stop to think. Hard to second guess them now. But I bet they knew better the next time!

marina