Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swords/Sabers in the German Cavalry 1914-1918

Templar

Were they common among all Cavalry Regiments, or only in specific Regiments?

There were cyclists in a variety of units as well as special cycling units, usually in connection with Jäger Bataillone.

Cycling was considered a specially taught ability put down in the military papers of the soldiers, like in this example from my collection (trained with gun 98 and as cyclist as a member of an infantry regiment):

radler.jpg.f7e66a7af499291eff9f1acab104ed74.jpg

Edited by GreyC

Thanks for answering my Questions. I have come a long Way from the Subject of Sabres, but i thank you for bearing with me.

Edited by Templar

23 hours ago, Templar said:

In the top Photograph, i see a Cyclist. Is he also part of the Patrol, or just passing through?

He's in Garde-Reiter uniform so I presume he also belongs to their unit. Certainly a bit odd, as bicycle couriers are usually associated with dismounted units!

23 hours ago, Templar said:

Were they common among all Cavalry Regiments, or only in specific Regiments?

Complete cyclist companies only existed in peacetime as a component of Jäger battalions. In wartime various independently numbered cyclist companies were formed, of varying degrees of 'officialness'; the official ones raised within Germany (rather than in the field) came from the Jäger depots and wore their uniform. The cycle companies (both the independently numbered ones and the ones numbered as components of Jäger battalions) were eventually grouped together to form full cyclist battalions and ultimately a full Radfahrer-Brigade.

Individual
cyclists were present in all sorts of units.

Edited by bierast

18 minutes ago, bierast said:

In wartime various independently numbered cyclist companies were formed

Here is one of them underway in a village (postcard from my collection).

Radfahrerkompanie.jpeg.bf5d7d4f88f1ee0d6c8a1cc1662a7086.jpeg

The book is good on the subject of uniforms before the introduction of fieldgrey but does not really touch on formation questions and is quite expensive. If one is really interested in the pre-war uniforms of the German cavalry then the book is good to have. I only have the matching volumes on pre-war infantry.

GreyC

Did Cyclists in Cavalry Regiments carry Saber and Lance as well?

How could by cyclist wore a 3m long spike and Saber on bicycle?? is not place for it, i saw a bayonet holder on bicycle for S98 bayonet and Radfahrer should be equiped with Gew98 later with Kar98az, not all cyclist were raised from Cavalry.

Edited by AndyBsk

Well, can't know a stupid Question until i have asked. When i first saw your Post, i almost laughed. I found it funny that i really had not worked that out before asking the Question.

On 13/04/2024 at 17:59, GreyC said:

Here is one of them underway in a village (postcard from my collection).

Very nice! This must be one of the companies raised in the field from the infantry, as they are certainly not in Jäger uniform.

Cavalry played a large part as Reconnaissance during the early Years of the War on the western Front and continued doing so on the eastern Front. With a few Exceptions, mounted Cavalry in active Combat was practically obsolete in the West before the first Year of the War was finished. Thinking primarily of the German Cavalry, were there any Instances where their mounted Forces clashed with Russian Forces, using Saber and Lance, after October of 1914 and beyond?

Edited by Templar