Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swords/Sabers in the German Cavalry 1914-1918

Templar

I have read various Sources that Mention Sabers being issued to Cavalry, but nothing specific about to whom. Some state that in the early Years of the War, the primary non-firearm Weapon was the Lance. Would a German Dragoon, let's say, have both Lance and Saber? And would a Saber, assuming it was permitted, used by a Dragoon (not an Officer or Non-com) be issued or Private (please excuse the Pun) Purchase?

Edited by Templar

18 minutes ago, Templar said:

I have read various Sources that Mention Sabers being issued to Cavalry, but nothing specific about to whom. Some state that in the early Years of the War, the primary non-firearm Weapon was the Lance. Would a German Dragoon, let's say, have both Lance and Saber? And would a Saber, assuming it was permitted, used by a Dragoon (not an Officer or Non-com) be issued or Private (please excuse the Pun) Purchase?

By 1914, all German cavalry (regardless of traditional title and function) were equipped with lance, sabre and carbine. Enlisted men would most definitely be carrying issue weapons.

Thank you. That is a very helpful and straightforward Answer.

Posted (edited)

Another Question out of curiosity. Which Side would the Sword be drawn from, off Hand or dominant Side, and would the Carbine be on the same Side or opposite? And would they be on the Horse or the Rider?

Edited by Templar

Going into the field. Dragoner Regiment 17. Sabre on other side. But you see the lance and the carabine.

GreyC

17_DR.jpg.9d2f7b27b505ae8379099b8a5766b34e.jpg

Edited by GreyC

Posted (edited)

Hello there. Thank you for the Picture. Going away from the Subject of the Saber for a little bit, is all that Baggage what he would carry all the Time on his Horse, or would it be left at a specific Location?

Edited by Templar

Hi,

I think some of it was left with the so called "bagage" or at the resting place.

Cavalry is not my field of expertise, though.

GreyC

Alright. Thank you for answering. Do you know anyone on this Forum who specializes in Cavalry, preferably German?

Found this photo by chance in my collection. It shows how the sabre was attached to the saddle. Photo taken in the GHQu, the headquarter of the Kaiser.

unbekannteArmbindeStoffFeldgrauPferdKarlPetersenOelsdorfbWinsen_LuheStempelGroesHauptquartier31031915Kopie.jpg.92c00e528be3246642c5142699536746.jpg

No specific place. I just keep my eyes open. Rarely on the internet, mostly in the analogue world.

GreyC

What Pattern(s) of swords did they carry? Our local museum has a sword with a French cavalry blade dated 1879  (if I remember correctly but post the 1870 Franco-Prussian War) and a “Blucher” style hilt. Were they using “ersatz” swords?

All the best,

Gary

As I mentiones before: not an expert in cavalry, so I am not really sure. Probably Kavallerie-Degen.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Its possible M1852 Sabre or later version. Looks like curved so probably not a KD1889.

Did issued Cavalry Swords all come from a specific Maker, or was there a wide Variety? And did the Makers follow a Pattern (curved, straight, a certain Length) specified by the Army, or would you have a Group of Cavalry all with different Sword Types?

Each branch of Cavalry or Train used specific modell, which was delivered by variety of makers, the last well known design is KD1889 , anyway there were Uhlans, Hussars, Dragons, Garde Cavalry, heavy Cavalry, Chevaulegers, Train, Mounted Artillery which used not the identical pattern.

Edited by AndyBsk

Thank you @AndyBSK , for identifying the sabre. A friend told me that the Sabre M1852 was originally in use with Dragoner Regimenter ( 637  / Reg. ),
the Husaren and the NCOs of the Ulanenregimenter ( 69 / Reg. ). But the Stabswachen
of the  divisional HQs, the Generalkommandos and the Stabswachen of the Großen Hauptquartier and the attached
Feldgendarmerie were equipped with the M/52 Kavallerie Mannschaftssäbel, too. With the introduction of the KD 1889 it was slowly replaced and used by other troops like the Train, but maybe the guys at GHQ, were this photo was taken in 1915 were traditionalists. The rider seems to be a Grenadier (infantry).

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

4 hours ago, GreyC said:

the Sabre M1852 was originally in use with Dragoner Regimenter ( 637  / Reg. ),

Does this mean that the M1852 Sabre was only in use with this particular Regiment, or Dragoon Regiments in general?

A wild Shot, but do you happen to know what Swords were used by the Mecklenburg Dragoon Regiments?

My Mistake. I mistook ( 637 / Reg. ) for a Regimental Number. Thank you for the Link and for clarifying.

I get lost in all the Numbers sometimes.

To illustrate kit worn by mounted cavalrymen in the field, here are a couple of commercial postcards from the much-photographed Saxon 19. Ersatz-Division in the Vosges. When mobilised in August 1914 this division consisted of incomplete provisional units (e.g. the infantry was made up of eight 'Brigade-Ersatz-Bataillonen' grouped into two provisional brigades), with the aim of getting the maximum amount of trained manpower to the front as quickly as possible.

The unit here is Kavallerie-Ersatz-Abteilung 12, which was raised and equipped at the depot of the prestigious Garde-Reiter-Regiment in Dresden. The division also had a Kavallerie-Ersatz-Abteilung 19, the two being combined together in 1915 (when the infantry were likewise reformed into conventional regiments) to form Kavallerie-Ersatz-Eskadron 19. Incidentally Kavallerie-Ersatz-Abteilung 19 was raised and equipped by Ulanen-Regiment 18 (Leipzig). These little units were visually indistinguishable from their founding regiments, which greatly confuses photo identification.

KavErsAbtXII_Patrouille1.jpg.f73e035f04cc8c2003b4ba115ac12da6.jpg

KavErsAbtXII_Patrouille2.jpg.d08000062f7b98d5d8d45ee2f49328ce.jpg

Edited by bierast

In the top Photograph, i see a Cyclist. Is he also part of the Patrol, or just passing through?