Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt W.H.Paterson (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) - the first MC of the war

davidbohl

4 hours ago, corisande said:

1919 Jan/Mar birth in Paddington of a child William Paterson with mother Sutherland

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/43505601:8782?tid=&pid=&queryId=5d708bb7-57f0-4337-a6fa-ad0400258666&_phsrc=qzF16484&_phstart=successSource

Not on 1939 Register? Should be with his mother in 1921, but Nina Muriel was with William Snr at St Ives Hotel, Maidenhead, Berkshire?

Son William dead by 1921?      Mother Nina b. Shanghai, China 19 Oct 1895 (1921 census).

Nina Muriel Sutherland married 1929 to Allan Thomas George Cumberland Peachey - She died 25 April 1985 aged 89.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/50723006:8753

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

38 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Hmm, that doesn't immediately look like a £50K estate coming/going William Henry's way!

Possibly some hyperbole in the paper in 1934??  Or had he already had a share???

Clearly he wasn't trusted to be responsible for probate.

I wonder how the Will distributed this amount??  Did he receive anything / enough to sort his affairs??

M

37 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

Son William dead by 1921? 

No look at divorce say click of Jan 1924 , the first decree nisi, Nina is granted custody of the child

Thought for the day. I cannot get William, the son born in 1919 in either 1921 census nor 1939 Register, but this is him going to Canada with his mother Nina in Jun 1924

canada2.jpg.691f5e3ceb8eab2626ea3148624dd814.jpg

canada.jpg.7562502699ee78b3d25f1240ae707299.jpg

Young William then goes to Italy with his mother in 1928 - click  where he travels as William Forbes Paterson

which gives you - and he died UK in 1986

Name
William Forbes Paterson
Spouse
Ella Miheeva
Father
William Henry Paterson
Birth
abt 1919
Marriage
28 Sep 1946 Kiangsu, China

28 Sep 1946 Kiangsu, China
1946.jpg.65a7a61b0e8b1cd9f137d8e1490b5508.jpg
Edited by corisande

His baptism William Henry still styles himself Lt

1919.jpg.6562dba6b30143062db819ea7cc7993b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new forum member here,

Quite by accident I discovered this conversation on GWF about Lt. William Henry Paterson who was my cousin. Given that the researchers David Bohl, Ivor Anderson, Corisande, Frogsmile and Matlock1418 have, presumably, not had access to any private papers the fruits of their labours are impressive and on the whole create a fairly accurate portrait of WHP. But there are a few errors some of which I would like to put right in this entry.

1. WHP (1893-1937) was destined to inherit the Paterson estates in Ayrshire, namely Monkwood and Ladykirk, and become an established member of the landed gentry. Sadly his personality and unhappy experiences in WW1 ruined everything.

2. In 1916 he developed Trench Foot and underwent amputation. Thereafter I believe he became a trainer.

3. After the war his marriage broke up, he had serious money problems, and met and fell in love with 'Countess' Carolina Monici, an opera singer and talented artist from Milan. She tried to join him in England but was arrested as an illegal alien and imprisoned in Holloway. Despite being deported they remained together somehow and when he became bankrupt lived in Paris for the next decade during which they married. The two of them returned to England in 1934 and lived in London. 

4. His death, in 1937, was due to a bleeding gastric ulcer managed non-operatively. He was cremated at Golders Green and Carolina took the ashes.

5. As a result of WHP's debts Monkwood had to be sold soon after his death having been in the family for over a century. Carolina continued to live impecuniously in London and survived on her paintings. She died of cancer in 1956. I have not been able to identify her grave. As far as I'm aware she had no other family. Details of her relationship with WHP appeared in various articles in the Daily Mail.

6. WHP and his first wife Nina (nee Sutherland) had a son, William Forbes Paterson. He was estranged from his father, became a naval cadet at Dartmouth and ended up as a Lt. Commander in the Royal Navy. He saw action in WW2. In peacetime he joined Reuters and wrote an 'Encyclopaedia of Archery'. I got to know him well.

If anyone wants to know more I should be happy to oblige.

Fergus Paterson. 20.4.24.

5 hours ago, Fergus Paterson said:

Quite by accident I discovered this conversation on GWF about Lt. William Henry Paterson who was my cousin. Given that the researchers David Bohl, Ivor Anderson, Corisande, Frogsmile and Matlock1418 have, presumably, not had access to any private papers the fruits of their labours are impressive and on the whole create a fairly accurate portrait of WHP. But there are a few errors some of which I would like to put right in this entry.

Thanks very much your post Fergus, an interesting addition to our guesswork, filling in the gaps and pointing out the errors.

He must have been real charmer!

Dave