Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt W.H.Paterson (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) - the first MC of the war

davidbohl

He died in Worcestershire in late 1937 and his parents' address was Roseneath, Great Malvern, Worcestershire on his MIC.

There is a birth of a William Henry Paterson in Upton on Severn district, Worcestershire, England in Q3 1893 (matching his army list DoB 6 July 1893): https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/26811481:8912?tid=&pid=&queryId=4543d3e3-ce09-492d-97b6-7080d07bd4aa&_phsrc=qzF16389&_phstart=successSource

1901 with parents: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/15190764:7814?tid=&pid=&queryId=92b8a120-8702-42d4-b824-dea277ccda85&_phsrc=qzF16397&_phstart=successSource

At school 1911 (Charterhouse matches his commission in 1913): https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/41600991:2352?tid=&pid=&queryId=ae6a65d5-fb4a-4034-bdc7-10db826ec6d9&_phsrc=qzF16395&_phstart=successSource

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

This seems his last LG entry https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30969/supplement/12554

Lt. W. H. Paterson, h.p. List, retires on ret. pay on account of ill-health contracted on active service. 24th Oct. 1918.

M

10 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Lt. W. H. Paterson, h.p. List, retires on ret. pay on account of ill-health contracted on active service. 24th Oct. 1918.

Yes he was places on H.P List on 22nd Sept. 1916

Gord. Highrs.—Lt. W. H. Paterson is placed on the h.p. List on account of ill-health.

Then is moved from HP List to Retired Pay 24th Oct. 1918.

Lt. W. H. Paterson, h.p. List, retires on ret. pay on account of ill-health contracted on active service.

1 minute ago, corisande said:

Gord. Highrs.—Lt. W. H. Paterson is placed on the h.p. List on account of ill-health.

Lt. W. H. Paterson, h.p. List, retires on ret. pay on account of ill-health contracted on active service.

Agreed.  As you earlier noted the point seems to be that he retired as Lt/did not retire as Capt.

M

40 minutes ago, corisande said:

That is the final entry I was anticipating, but it doesn’t give the traditional honorary rank one up, which surprises me, especially as an MC winner.  I wonder if he tried to make an appeal subsequently. Another possibility is if at any stage during his service he was an acting captain and used the title accordingly as being the highest rank he ever served as.  There are rules about all these aspects but I cannot remember for sure where they are.  I think either, the Royal Warrant for Pay and Allowances, or King’s Regulations for the Army.

I’m conscious that you’ve researched a great many officers over the years, so I hope that this doesn’t come across as sucking eggs instruction, I do not mean it to do so and am really just speaking thoughts on the matter out loud.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

There are rules about all these aspects but I cannot remember for sure where they are.

Virtually all the officers I have researched have relinquished their commissions in LG (rather than retiring) and been granted either their current rank, or if they satisfied the criteria , an higher  rank,  that they could use after they left they army

My understanding was that they had to have held the acting higher rank (it could be in bits, rather than continuous) for Six Months . If they had served at a higher rank for less than 6 months, than they were not entitled to use it in later life.

Hence as he had been gazetted out as Lt, then my understanding was that he could not use a higher rank after leaving the army

The complicating factor here is that he was "retired" rather than "relinquishing his commission" . I do not understand why this is the course that the army took with him.

Another odd thing is the expression " on account of ill-health contracted on active service.". This states "ill health" rather than wounding

And I am unclear when (or if) he had a leg amputated. And if so why was it amputated

There is a lot that needs cleared up here!

There is something really odd with his record

• He appears to be demoted from Lt to 2nd Lt in Feb 1915
  • Paterson1915.png.1b3afe5f56f42af64bac400
  •  
  • His MC is gazetted  18 Feb 1915
  • there is no mention of the MC in the demotion entry one week later
  •  
  • There is no mention of MC on his MIC
  •  
  • And really odd no mention of MC on his Half Pay and Retirement LG entries which I would certainly expect
  •  
  • There seems no mention of his MC in the post was newspaper reports, except for the 1937 bankruptcy notice report in OP
  •  
  • It is almost as if he lost his MC

37 minutes ago, corisande said:

My understanding was that they had to have held the acting higher rank (it could be in bits, rather than continuous) for Six Months . If they had served at a higher rank for less than 6 months, than they were not entitled to use it in later life.

Hence as he had been gazetted out as Lt, then my understanding was that he could not use a higher rank after leaving the army

That’s what I recall too now that you have reminded me of the detail.  I’m puzzled by his use of the superior rank given the risk to his reputation within the social stratas that he moved.  Perhaps he no longer cared or felt that in the post war period with streets lined with ex servicemen it no longer mattered and no one would notice.

Edited by FROGSMILE

18 minutes ago, corisande said:

There is something really odd with his record

• He appears to be demoted from Lt to 2nd Lt in Feb 1915
  • Paterson1915.png.1b3afe5f56f42af64bac400
  •  
  • His MC is gazetted  18 Feb 1915
  • there is no mention of the MC in the demotion entry one week later
  •  
  • There is no mention of MC on his MIC
  •  
  • And really odd no mention of MC on his Half Pay and Retirement LG entries which I would certainly expect
  •  
  • There seems no mention of his MC in the post was newspaper reports, except for the 1937 bankruptcy notice report in OP
  •  
  • It is almost as if he lost his MC

I think his demotion is probably because he moved from a TF battalion to a Regular battalion.  A lot would depend on the type of commission that he held.  As you know there was a pecking order with these types of commission.  I recall Robert Graves mentioning that aspect in his autobiographical ‘Goodbye to all that’ and specifically how Special Reserve officers were treated, and the significance of seniority dates, with cases where officers with more experience were junior to those with less experience purely because of their types of commission.  We know he came from the 4th Gordon’s, but what were his origins as an officer, I take it he did not do an RMC commissioning course, so where did he train?  That might give a clue.

Edited by FROGSMILE

@FROGSMILE "Its a fascinating story I agree, he seems to have been something of a bounder, if not a cad. "

That is what I feel too. When I come across one of these types, the problem is that you have to prove everything, and take nothing for granted.

His officer file may reveal more, but I am not in a location to see that

Just now, corisande said:

@FROGSMILE "Its a fascinating story I agree, he seems to have been something of a bounder, if not a cad. "

That is what I feel too. When I come across one of these types, the problem is that you have to prove everything, and take nothing for granted.

His officer file may reveal more, but I am not in a location to see that

It’s all very intriguing 🤔. I always find such stories fascinating and frustrating in equal measure…

42 minutes ago, corisande said:

the expression " on account of ill-health contracted on active service.". This states "ill health" rather than wounding

Could that include shell shock? If so, could that explain his subsequent post war erratic behaviour.

I have his promotion to Lt now in LG of 29 Jun 1916

2nd Lt. W. H. Paterson to be Lt. 1st Oct. 1915. its under Gordon Highlanders

And no mention of MC

1 hour ago, corisande said:

no mention of MC

True. There is no mention of the MC in his later LG entries, MIC or army lists.

His MID was with 1 Bn Gordon Highlanders 17 Feb 1915: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29072/supplement/1667

Looking at others in the A&SH who are listed MC along with him in the LG of 18 Feb 1915 - no MC gallantry citations - awards for 'acting up' (e.g. Acting Capt.?):

Lt. Henry James Douglas Clark, comm 25 March 1908, Lt. from 5 Sept 1910, adjutant 1 April 1910.  

MID with 2nd Bn 17 Feb 1915  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29072/supplement/1668

Lt. John Aiden Liddell - MID with 2nd Bn 17 Feb 1915 - also won a VC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Aidan_Liddell

Sjt Major H Kerr 3551 - MID with 2nd Bn 17 Feb 1915: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29072/supplement/1668  Later 2 Lt.

Paterson MC 1915.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

"The battalion was next in action at the Battle of Le Cateau after which it ceased to exist as a fighting force when most personnel were captured in the confusion of disengaging after battle. The order for withdrawal had only reached a single Company and consequently the rest of the battalion, with troops from other attached Units, were late to disengage from the front line. During the night-time withdrawal, a German force was encountered and the force surrendered after a sharp action. The battalion was subsequently rebuilt with drafts of reinforcements and served on the Western Front for the duration of the war." 

Paterson's MIC records him disembarking in France on 4 Oct 1914. Probably transferred as part of several large drafts to rebuild the 1st Bn. Gordon Highlanders.

The war diary for Oct 1914 does not exist, but heavy casualties (killed, wounded or missing) are recorded in Oct & Nov, inc among the officers.

On 20 Nov 1914 the Bn was 10 officers & 430 men.

On 1 Dec 1914 - 8 officers & 459 ORs.

3rd Dec - The King was nearby in Locre, but did not meet the Bn.

4th Dec - draft of 110 ORs from 4th A&SH. On 5th Dec 3 officers & 93 ORs joined. 11 Dec draft of 202 ORs at just 2 hours notice.

14 Dec - Bn. attacked German trench near Maedelstraede Farm at 7.45 am. WD records losses on 14 Dec 1914:

14 Dec.png

18 Dec - 3 more officers from 4th A&SH joined the Bn.

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

I think these DCMs presented as ribbons on 31 Jan 1915 were for the same action as Paterson's MC on 14 Dec 1914 - WD from TNA:

31 Jan.png

NB part of diary account of action on 14 Dec 1914:

14 Dec.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

However, Patterson was not the first to be awarded the MC (LG 1 Jan 1915): https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29024/supplement/7

I think his MC cohort just missed having their citations published in the LG: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29074/supplement/1697

These are the first MC citations I can find - in the same LG 18 Feb 1915: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29074/supplement/1701

Unless, their MCs were awarded under 'Meritorious Service' - poss 'Acting up' responsibility wise in leading a Company?

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

Very interesting Ivor, thank you for writing all that up.  It’s a pity no mention of Paterson acting up as a captain can be found so far.

If I take up the point on what I think is the norm in LG, and look at another officer with MC on the list with Paterson who got MC along with Paterson. I still believe that no mention of Paterson's MC is not normal

• 23rd Nov. 1916. Capt. H. J. D. Clark, M.C., Arg. &Suth'd Highrs., and to1 be seed
  • 10th Jan. 1918 A.D.C.—Capt: H. J. D. Clark, M.C., Arg. & Suth'd Highrs,
  • 1st May .1924. A. & S.H.— Capt. H. J. D. Clark, M.C., is restd. to the estabt.
  • 16th Aug. 1924. Capt. H. J. D. Clark, M.C., is seed, for serv. on the Staff.
  • various other mentions in LG all with "MC"
  • Col. H. J. D. CLARK, M.C. (26107), retires on Ret.Pay, 24th Nov. 1945, and is granted the hon. rank of Brig

7 minutes ago, corisande said:

If I take up the point on what I think is the norm in LG, and look at another officer with MC on the list with Paterson who got MC along with Paterson. I still believe that no mention of Paterson's MC is not normal

• 23rd Nov. 1916. Capt. H. J. D. Clark, M.C., Arg. &Suth'd Highrs., and to1 be seed
  • 10th Jan. 1918 A.D.C.—Capt: H. J. D. Clark, M.C., Arg. & Suth'd Highrs,
  • 1st May .1924. A. & S.H.— Capt. H. J. D. Clark, M.C., is restd. to the estabt.
  • 16th Aug. 1924. Capt. H. J. D. Clark, M.C., is seed, for serv. on the Staff.
  • various other mentions in LG all with "MC"
  • Col. H. J. D. CLARK, M.C. (26107), retires on Ret.Pay, 24th Nov. 1945, and is granted the hon. rank of Brig

It does seem very odd and I cannot recall it happening with anyone else before.  It wasn’t mentioned in many of the newspaper articles either and they usually mention MC winners (or any other gallantry award).

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 hours ago, corisande said:

I am unclear when (or if) he had a leg amputated. And if so why was it amputated

The newspaper article from 1937 in the OP offers this

image.png.35396599f53471e515855d86d1b2d19e.png

sandwiched between references to 1914 and 1921

M

Yes I had read that, but my problem is that there is no corroboration of the amputation. Given his track record on truth, then I think one has to get independent verification of whether, when and why he had a leg amputated. 

Certainly he does not appear to have got a pension

6 minutes ago, corisande said:

Yes I had read that, but my problem is that there is no corroboration of the amputation. Given his track record on truth, then I think one has to get independent verification of whether, when and why he had a leg amputated. 

Certainly he does not appear to have got a pension

Yes, quite right to be enquiring of a press account [as now!]

At WFA/Fold3 there is a PIC for an officer's disability pension claim [no details on what disability claimed and/or outcome]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add source