Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uncle George

Uncle George

I’ve been a member of this Forum for a number of years under the name ‘Uncle George’. Uncle George was my great-uncle, George Moore; I knew him and loved him when I was a boy and his identity to me was always wrapped up in his being a First war veteran. This always captivated me.

I’ve finally acquired a photograph of him in uniform (courtesy of his Grandson, Christopher Moore). I know from his service record that George served initially with the Army Service Corps, and then transferred into the Royal Field Artillery. On this thread: 

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/307147-ww1-cap-badge-help-please/

@FROGSMILE tells us that, “The ASC driving with the [Divisional Ammunition Column] generally developed a close relationship with the artillery as you might imagine.  They were mixed units containing men from both corps and you will often see the ASC drivers wearing whitened lanyards as an idiosyncratic emulation of a fad favoured by their gunner colleagues (it wasn’t ‘regulation’ at the time).”

So, is there any way of establishing what unit he was serving with at the time this photo was taken? Not from his lanyard, it seems. From his buttons, perhaps? What is the cord running from his breast pocket, can any one say?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_8682.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

What is the cord running from his breast pocket, can any one say?

Probably the lanyard for a jackknife I would think [as round his shoulder]

M

18 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I’ve been a member of this Forum for a number of years under the name ‘Uncle George’. Uncle George was my great-uncle, George Moore; I knew him and loved him when I was a boy and his identity to me was always wrapped up in his being a First war veteran. This always captivated me.

I’ve finally acquired a photograph of him in uniform (courtesy of his Grandson, Christopher Moore). I know from his service record that George served initially with the Army Service Corps, and then transferred into the Royal Field Artillery. On this thread: 

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/307147-ww1-cap-badge-help-please/

@FROGSMILE tells us that, “The ASC driving with the [Divisional Ammunition Column] generally developed a close relationship with the artillery as you might imagine.  They were mixed units containing men from both corps and you will often see the ASC drivers wearing whitened lanyards as an idiosyncratic emulation of a fad favoured by their gunner colleagues (it wasn’t ‘regulation’ at the time).”

So, is there any way of establishing what unit he was serving with at the time this photo was taken? Not from his lanyard, it seems. From his buttons, perhaps? What is the cord running from his breast pocket, can any one say?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_8682.jpeg

Buttons were usually general service for ASC men, although a SNCO might privately procure ASC buttons for, e.g. his ‘best jacket’.  GS were the regulation though.  The cord protruding from his pocket is just the middle part of his lanyard, which has been box woven (plaited to shorten it) at the shoulder.  If you followed it down into his breast pocket, at the end you’d usually find his clasp knife, that’s what it was intended (and issued) for. 

IMG_3542.jpeg

IMG_3541.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3543.jpeg

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_3548.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg

IMG_3550.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Probably the lanyard for a jackknife I would think [as round his shoulder]

M

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Buttons were usually general service for ASC men, although a SNCO might privately procure ASC buttons for, e.g. his ‘best jacket’.  GS were the regulation though.  The cord protruding from his pocket is just the middle part of his lanyard, which has been box woven (plaited to shorten it) at the shoulder.  If you followed it down into his breast pocket, at the end you’d usually find his clasp knife, that’s what it was intended (and issued) for. 

IMG_3542.jpeg

IMG_3541.jpeg

IMG_3545.jpeg

IMG_3543.jpeg

IMG_3546.jpeg

IMG_3548.jpeg

IMG_3547.jpeg

IMG_3550.jpeg

Thank you both.