Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Cap Badge help please

Alex25

Hello, I am looking for some help in identifying the cap badge my grandfather is wearing in the photo below. I believe he was a driver with the Royal Artillery and the Royal Horse Artillery in WW1. He was from Inverness in Scotland and was stationed in Egypt for five years from 1915. His uniform in this photo appears to correspond with being in the RHA, but the cap badge looks wrong. It is difficult to see, but it is star shaped - see first photo below and doesn't seem to match any badges that I've found.

Any help or hints in terms of how to identify it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Ross M Great Grandfather in uniform (1) - close up of cap.jpg

Ross M Great Grandfather in uniform .jpg

Edited by Alex25

Army Service Corps I believe. I suspect he might have been a driver ASC with a Divisional Ammunition Column (DAC) supplying the RFA and RHA

IMG_0325.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 minutes ago, Alex25 said:

@FROGSMILE thank you. Yes, it does look like it could be. Thanks for your help.

The ASC driving with the DAC generally developed a close relationship with the artillery as you might imagine.  They were mixed units containing men from both corps and you will often see the ASC drivers wearing whitened lanyards as an idiosyncratic emulation of a fad favoured by their gunner colleagues (it wasn’t ‘regulation’ at the time).

As well as the cap badge common features for ASC drivers were the leather bandolier and riding whip.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Your grandfather may have served with the ASC and then transferred to the Royal Artillery. My (great) uncle George Moore (my GWF name is a tribute to him) did exactly that. I’ve attached a fragment from his service documentation (courtesy of Ancestry).

IMG_6444.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Your grandfather may have served with the ASC and then transferred to the Royal Artillery. My (great) uncle George Moore (my GWR name is a tribute to him) did exactly that. I’ve attached a fragment from his service documentation (courtesy of Ancestry).

IMG_6444.jpeg

Yes agreed - that’s always possible. 👍