Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914-1918 War Diary for 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

GrahamAberdein

Hello,

I just came across this forum and hoping someone may be able to provide (or point me in the right direction to) information on my grandfather (George Aberdein) and his older brother (David Aberdein) who both served in World War 1.

I already have some information on them. George Aberdein (private #1183?) came back from the war. Unfortunately his brother, David (private #1167), was killed in action on October 3rd, 1915. David is buried in the Mailly-Maillet Communal Cemetery Extension in northern France. Noting that our surname spelling was recorded as Aberdeen (not Aberdein).

I'm particularly interested in finding out what battles (and where) my grandfather and his brother and their company were engaged.

Sadly, I don't believe that anyone in my family has ever visited Mailly-Maillet to pay their respects. That's something I'm planning to rectify in 2025.

Thanks in advance,

Graham

PS I do have some IWGC information on other service members buried at Mailly-Maillet that I'd be happy to share

• Admin

Welcome to the GWF

This page from the UK National Archives lists a number of entries for the 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders

Free to download if you register (see banner at top of the page)

Always worth downloading the higher level (Brigade and Divisional HQ) as they often contain operation orders and after action reports

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_col=200&_cr1=WO+95&_hb=tna&_q=2+Seaforth+Highlanders

• Admin

Here is David’s medal index card ©️ Ancestry. Died of wounds rather than killed in action. 

IMG_1052.jpeg

• Admin

And this looks like George. Copyright as above. He was entitled to a silver war badge, see

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

IMG_1053.jpeg

Wow, Michelle, thanks for the quick reponse. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, my grandfather and his brother would have both served in the 10th Brigade of the 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders?

• Admin

They served in 2 Seaforths, which was in turn part of 10 Brigade, which in turn was part of the 4th Division. 
From the Long Long Trail

2nd Battalion
August 1914 : at Shorncliffe. Part of 10th Brigade in 4th Division. Moved on mobilisation to York area (including Darlington and Strensall) before moving to Harrow.
23 August 1914 : landed at Boulogne.

• Admin

There is another MIC for a George Aberdein, who started off in the Gordon Highlanders and then the Seaforths. I don’t have full Ancestry of Find my Past access to check if any service papers survive. The George who was entitled to the SWB  may have a pension card, which will give an address, but we need someone like @Matlock1418 to help there. 

IMG_1054.jpeg

S/43801 died 14.12.16 (Soldiers Effects) 1216 enlisted 30.5.1913

10 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

There is another MIC for a George Aberdein, who started off in the Gordon Highlanders and then the Seaforths. I don’t have full Ancestry of Find my Past access to check if any service papers survive. The George who was entitled to the SWB  may have a pension card, which will give an address, but we need someone like @Matlock1418 to help there. 

IMG_1054.jpeg

Mrs Mrs Lizzie McHATTIE claimed for:

• 43081Pte George ABERDEIN, 2/ Seaforth Highlanders
  • 630593 Bdr John ABERDEIN, Royal Field Artillery.

Her address was 183 Great Northern Road, Aberdeen

M

Well, that's interesting (although I'm a little bit skeptical). I can't see my grandfather enlisting in another regiment and being separated from his older brother. Plus my dad never passed on a piece of information like that. 

34 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

And this looks like George. Copyright as above. He was entitled to a silver war badge, see

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

IMG_1053.jpeg

Has a pension index card and a pension ledger page

George Aberdeen, 1216, Seaforth Highlanders claimed/awarded for a GSW Arm - Address: 10 Roseberry Street, Dundee and then C/O Tosh, 12 Wellgate, Dundee

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Very good. I know my grandfather was wounded in the arm (and actually he couldn't straighten out his injured arm fully).

55 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Here is David’s medal index card ©️ Ancestry. Died of wounds rather than killed in action. 

IMG_1052.jpeg

More from WFA/Fold3 pension records

Mother, Margaret, claimed from 12 Roseberry Street, Dundee [I recall I have just above cited Roseberry Street, Dundee]

And there is a further reference to another soldier 1216, George ABERDEIN, 2 Seaforth Highlanders [also mentioned above]

M

Edit:

image.png.875414fd702e94fb0889403e7f108c15.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

Edited by Matlock1418
edit/add PIC image

Funny sidebar story that my dad passed on. When my grandfather was wounded and had to report to the infirmary, he was asked his surname. When he responded Aberdein, the attendant commented "Oh, we're just discharging your brother". So they put my grandfather in the same bed that his brother had just left.

1 hour ago, GrahamAberdein said:

his brother, David (private #1167), was killed in action on October 3rd, 1915. David is buried in the Mailly-Maillet Communal Cemetery Extension in northern France. Noting that our surname spelling was recorded as Aberdeen (not Aberdein).

Interesting that the CWGC have his surname as ABERDEIN on their Graves Registration Report Form and somehow it has turned into ABERDEEN for the Graves Register [from which their online commemoration was created] and on the Headstone Schedule. https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/282710/david-aberdeen

If you wish - and after provision of evidence [you seem on the way to having the necessary] - the CWGC may perhaps change his online commemoration and even change his headstone to ABERDEIN

M

Edited by Matlock1418
CWGC link

Thanks M,

I may check into that spelling mixup, although as I research our family genealogy it seems our surname spelling flips back and forth (given my great-grandfather and several generations before him were all born and lived in Aberdeen, I'm presuming the town name is our original surname).

You don't say if you have them for David ABERDEIN but it may well be able to get

• Medal Roll [Ancestry]
  • Register of Soldiers' Effects [Ancestry]
  • Will [potentially at ScotlandsPeople]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
sources

I do have the war medals for both my grandfather and his brother. The last 2 items you've listed - nope.

The Register of Soldiers Effects records that 1167 David Aberdein died of wounds in No 11 Field Ambulance on 03/10/1915. He is named in the Casualty List in The Scotsman 21/10/1915 under Died of Wounds 2 Bn Seaforth Highlanders. He has two hospital admissions in 1915. April for a back sprain MH 106/1077 18 GH and May for a gsw to the leg MH 106/898 2 GH.

Brian

16 minutes ago, GrahamAberdein said:

I may check into that spelling mixup, although as I research our family genealogy it seems our surname spelling flips back and forth (given my great-grandfather and several generations before him were all born and lived in Aberdeen, I'm presuming the town name is our original surname).

Naturally a check is required - clearly his birth Registration and Birth Certificate seem essential! [Try ScotlandsPeople]

It is also possible for CWGC to commemorate a man as both 'True name' and 'Served as' [this is commonly used for aliases - I suggest there may be two reasons for this ... deliberate or accidental (sometimes down to literacy levels) - young soldiers would be reluctant to correct a senior NCO/WO/Officer so would just accept it as routine, even if very annoying to them!]

11 minutes ago, GrahamAberdein said:

I do have the war medals for both my grandfather and his brother.

As well as the MIC get the MR

and I suggest the other items too - for interest [and potential use]

RoSE can be used in order to see Legatees etc. ... Oh I note Brian has just posted and given you some interesting stuff - there may be more you will likely find of interest and of potential use]

Post an image and others may be able to interpret further.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

32 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

The Register of Soldiers Effects records that 1167 David Aberdein died of wounds in No 11 Field Ambulance on 03/10/1915.

There should be a Service Return entry for his death at ScotlandsPeople [this is likely to reflect military spelling as it will come from them as the source]

M

Edit

Birth and death are at SP https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - You will need to get both entries to fully check the originals [shouldn't break your bank!]

ABERDEIN
DAVID
THOMSON
M
282 / 4 / 1386
ST ANDREW (DUNDEE)
ABERDEIN
DAVID

M
127 / AF / 1
SERVICE RETURNS
Edited by Matlock1418
add to edit

Sorry to be a bit overwhelmed/confused (being a newbie to all this). Several commentators have referred to various sources of information. Is there a definitive list of sources and where/how to access them (are these all public records)?

16 minutes ago, GrahamAberdein said:

Sorry to be a bit overwhelmed/confused (being a newbie to all this). Several commentators have referred to various sources of information. Is there a definitive list of sources and where/how to access them (are these all public records)?

No problem - As for how to research a soldier see the LLT Guide http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier

The bottom line is that we, GWF members, all have different levels of access to information on the public and sometimes private record = That's what makes GWF so brilliant - we pool our resources and knowledge

Some main sources are by subscription membership, others are simple public accessible sources - there may be some later cost for documents but initial searching is usually free

I have only one paid source [Western Front Association] but do pay for documents from elsewhere from time to time.

This is ScotlandsPeople  https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ... Important for Scotland as you may well imagine - not that expensive to get docs.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add