Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS Photos

TomWW1

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

The Fleet Air Arm Museum at RN Air Station Yeovilton has a very large archive of RNAS images and many of the human subjects are named and indexed. It could be worth trying there.

BE WARNED - Still a very long shot even with the narrowed field..

It’s been typically very kind of you to seek all that out horatio2, but I fear that Tom is either, a bit confused, or not being entirely honest.  He has posted family photos of several men wearing RNAS uniforms that you might recall.  One showed a group in fore and aft rig wearing jackets with unusual lower pockets, and another was actually a good quality portrait of a man wearing the special grey flannel shirt and dark tie issued to some RNAS ratings.  I distinctly recall you looking up the man and explaining that he was a labourer, which I’d never heard of before and commented my interest accordingly.  If that man was not Tom’s relative then it’s a mystery as to why such a good quality portrait was in the family collection.  Tom currently has a habit of posting a photo, getting a response and details from forum members, and then weeks later posting exactly the same photo again.  I think he likes the attention.  You might not realise that he is either 14 or 15, and regularly posts on week days during school hours, which perhaps puts matters into perspective.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I hope Tom will heed those observations. Multiple topics on the same person are a source of great annoyance and duplicated effort.

We are lucky to have a @FROGSMILE with the memory of an elephant because, otherwise, we would have to read Tom's every previous topic. I shall now retire from this topic.

46 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s been typically very kind of you to seek all that out horatio2, but I fear that Tom is either, a bit confused, or not being entirely honest.  He has posted family photos of several men wearing RNAS uniforms that you might recall.  One showed a group in fore and aft rig wearing jackets with unusual lower pockets, and another was actually a good quality portrait of a man wearing the special grey flannel shirt and dark tie issued to some RNAS ratings.  I distinctly recall you looking up the man and explaining that he was a labourer, which I’d never heard of before and commented my interest accordingly.  If that man was not Tom’s relative then it’s a mystery as to why such a good quality portrait was in the family collection.  Tom currently has a habit of posting a photo, getting a response and details from forum members, and then weeks later posting exactly the same photo again.  I think he likes the attention.  You might not realise that he is either 14 or 15, and regularly posts on week days during school hours, which perhaps puts matters into perspective.

Not everyone has a good memory…. And I’m only asking for answers