Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS Photos

TomWW1

Hello Everyone, my great grandfather fought in both WW1 and WW2 in the RNAS and i would love it if people could please post any photos they have of the RNAS here please!

• Admin

I’m sure a forum search will bring up some images Tom. 

Just now, Michelle Young said:

I’m sure a forum search will bring up some images Tom. 

It does but there is very few and far between with them and it’s a pain keep searching for them

• Admin

I know it’s a pain, but that’s life I’m afraid. 

Just now, Michelle Young said:

I know it’s a pain, but that’s life I’m afraid. 

I can’t even find anything on google 

21 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

I can’t even find anything on google 

Try typing-in ‘Royal Naval Air Service’ and click on the images tab - there are hundreds to be seen.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

I know I have posted a few RNAS photos in the past.

On 27/03/2024 at 09:48, KizmeRD said:

Try typing-in ‘Royal Naval Air Service’ and click on the images tab - there are hundreds to be seen.

MB

Alot also aren’t on google that’s why I thought i would start a thread for people to post their own personal photos 

@TomWW1

Here is an RPPC I dont think I have posted in the past - RNAS Flight Engineer rating.

SAM_8464.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

A RPPC of a mixed RNAS Band circa 1918......

Note the insignia on the right sleeves of the front row 2 Trombone players & the Baritone player to the Commanders right....

RNAS RAF Band 1918.JPG

RNAS RAF Band 1918....JPG

RNAS RAF Band 1918-.JPG

Close up of RNAS Cap badge....RNAS RAF Band 1918--.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

I have more RNAS photos, will try to post in future.....

5 hours ago, RNCVR said:

I have more RNAS photos, will try to post in future.....

Thank you very much I appreciate that 

@TomWW1

RNAS Rating, but difficult to make out his specific trade insgnia on his right arm...... rank is Leading rate 

SAM_9621.JPG.a16690c05fd689cd0677a204ffa0253c.JPG

Another RPPC --- RNAS Leading Shipwright/Rigger

SAM_9625.JPG

SAM_9624.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

Flight Engineer.....

SAM_9626.JPG

Senior Rate in working rig and observing the fad / fashion to position the uppermost buttons in the notch of his jacket lapels.  @RNCVR & @horatio2 are you able to comment about this man’s rank/rate and cap cover?  Is it a matter of summer rig, or just being with the Mediterranean fleet?

IMG_3585.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for sharing these photos with me I hope you can post some with maybe lost of people in and I might see my great great grandfather 

2 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

Thank you for sharing these photos with me I hope you can post some with maybe lost of people in and I might see my great great grandfather 

It’s extremely unlikely Tom, there were many hundreds of men and taking photos then wasn’t like the instant process that it is now, nor might he necessarily be recognised.  Life was very different before things like Polaroid film and the mobile phone/camera.

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s extremely unlikely Tom, there were many hundreds of men and taking photos then wasn’t like the instant process that it is now, nor might he necessarily be recognised.  Life was very different before things like Polaroid film and the mobile phone/camera.

I have actually found a few on google so it’s not IMPOSSIBLE 

9 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

I have actually found a few on google so it’s not IMPOSSIBLE 

I don’t think l said impossible, just unlikely.  If you research the strength in numbers of the RNAS it will give you a realistic impression of the odds, rather than just wishful thinking. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

I don’t think l said impossible, just unlikely.  If you research the strength in numbers of the RNAS it will give you a realist impression of the odds rather than just wishful thinking. 

IMG_3434.jpeg

10 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

IMG_3434.jpeg

I realise that photographs exist Tom, that’s not the point.  I know that you’ve expressed an interest in WW1 and that’s really good, but if you have a focus on the RNAS because of family connections, have you researched its strength and role to get an overall impression of the sheer scale of what you’re seeking?  Or are you just looking for others to provide you with a picture show, rather than have to search through the forum and expend some individual effort?  

Edited by FROGSMILE

I agree with @FROGSMILE. This is a futile, needle-in-a-haystack search without boundaries, underpinned by a false belief that an image must exist when, probably, most never had their photograph taken. The 'survival rate' (low?) of images affects the odds of finding an image today.

Moreover, Tom has shared no information about his GGF's service. Was he an RNAS officer (one of many hundreds) or was he a rating (one of 55,000+)? Where and when did he did he serve? In short, who is he?

"Please post all your RNAS images here and I will hope for the best" is absolutely the wrong way to proceed.

Name Albert E Ford
Medal or Award British War Medal
Service Year 1914-1920
Service Location Europe
Campaign or Service World War I
Service Number F 38814

That info seriously narrows the field of search. Thank you.

We are seeking a post-August 1917 RNAS image, taken during his eight weeks of new-entry training at the RN Depot Crystal Palace, or a post-October 1917 image taken he was serving at RNAS Manston. He served in the RNAS as an Aircraftman 2nd Grade and 1st Grade with the trade of Labourer.

After 1 April 1918 the hunt must shift to RAF images when he was serving as a Private 1st Class (Labourer).        https://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/7000170144-ford-a.e

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12470458

I note that he never claimed his British War Medal.

Edited by horatio2

The Fleet Air Arm Museum at RN Air Station Yeovilton has a very large archive of RNAS images and many of the human subjects are named and indexed. It could be worth trying there.

BE WARNED - Still a very long shot even with the narrowed field..