Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More Somme Relics

Paul Reed

Anyway, here's a scan of something that'll get the blood boiling for a few forum members...I'll just add that they were dug up using metal detector(s), and that human remains were found in the vicinity of them!!! :ph34r:

Before I become ostracised as the Erich von Stroheim of the forum, I'd better clarify .... they were searched for, found and dug up legally by an official (German) government body. The remains were treated accordingly and the tags ended up in my possession , legally, through a representative of this organisation.

See how I could advertise them though? <_< (If I was ever to wish to sell them, which I wouldn't!)

Dave.

Where do you live Dave :D

and there's me thinking you would get hot under the collar about "Vals old knickers"!!

Yeah, the trade off is alive and kicking.

Regards, Chris.

I must add my twopennorth to say I find this extremely disturbing. It is one thing to pick up the odd relic on ones exploration. although this is now illegal, but this appears to be a wholesale removal of battlerfield debris with the associated risks of unexploded ordance, I note many lots contain grenade parts -what condition are they in, and surely wherever these are coming from we know there will be human remains. These must be being disturbed. Not only does this make an absoluye mockery of the French law, discussed at length on other threads but the danger is also if we encourage this or turn a blind eye to one person how long before others realise there is easy money to be made by this type of sub grave robbing and the problem gets worse.

SG

the danger is also if we encourage this or turn a blind eye to one person how long before others realise there is easy money to be made by this type of sub grave robbing and the problem gets worse.

But there's always been money to be made from it, and it's been a fact known since pilgrims were sold "souvenirs" back in the 1920's! What's actually happened is that this "trade" died off during and after WW2 and has only recently achieved it's "renaissance" period of late after interest has blossomed. As for "grave robbing" - OK, some is, I can't deny that, and I can't condone it either, but don't forget how much ***** is left on a battlefield after the soldiers go home! This is what 70% of what's being sold is! It's the same stuff as was sold in the 1920's, only a bit rustier!!!

dave.

And, just for example, Mrs N's Grandfather was in the desert WW2. Arabian Gentleman sells "very old coins".

Valued by Christies about 12 months back, 65% forged.

This trade is as old as the hills. Seems to be rearing its ugly head again but with better techniques to boot.

Regards, Chris.

I know who this seller is he offered me the compass to Neil before didn't buy it though, he was already a member of E-Bay but changed his username for some reason. Most of the items he found himself but I don't know about the dog-tags and he bought the compass from a farmer, it wasn't found by his father.

Conor

Well, we might think this is bad but just take a look at the 'antiquities' section on ebay, now that's real grave robbing! It's shocking, utterly stupifying the kind of artefacts that come up for sale, scandalous, morally and intellectually bankrupt.

It's also, in the main, illegal! Any country signed up to UNESCO conventions should not allow cultural material like that to leave its shores. Sad to say, such international laws are pretty moribund in the majority of cases. No-one really gives a hoot, it's all a commodity, you try and say otherwise or suggest regulation and you're interfering in the free market! Meanwhile, archaeological sites all over the world get dug to death by people who do not give a flying f**k about anything as far as I can see.

Bah humbug.

We Brits have a fairly good track record over past centuries in looting and plundering whatever we have wanted to take back to England, in deference to the wishes of the local residents.

This was sanctioned at the highest levels of goverment, so perhaps we can't really complain if a local Frenchman wishes to earn himself a few Euro's selling battlefield debris back to us that we exported to France 90 years ago

Should 'deference' read as 'defiance'?

I hope that was uttered with your tongue firmly in your cheek Rob.

I believe the locals encouraged our 'exports' ninety years ago, and clamoured for more. I had understood that they were shipped across in the cause of freedom for both nations.

The 1/7/16 compass went for £257. I must say it looks OK to me, but recent posts have made me suspicious of anything out of the ordinary, particularly attempts to identify an item to a casualty. Too suspicious? :( Phil B

Don't think there's much argument about whether these relics have been dug up anymore - the seller has posted a link to his website on a recent auction:

www.somme-excavations.com

It's got some lovely photos of him and his mates digging up half of France.

Check out this little gem - the caption is "Re-opening of a pill box located near casualties corner, between Contalmaison and Pozieres."

DSCN0843.JPG

Nice to see that these important historic sites are being treated with the care and respect they deserve.

Mat

Hi Peter,

Do you mean that's the pillbox you looked at in 2003?

What a shame it's been ransacked. With the amount of stuff these blokes found there, it's a miracle they've still got all their limbs.

Is there anything that can be done to shut their grubby little operation down?

Mat

Mat,

He has replied to you via the guestbook. More or less giving you the finger I'm afraid. Supposedly, he's got authorisation - all these threads I've read on this forum have said this is illegal. Maybe some of the previous posters have been right - it's more illegal if you're not French!

Une règle pour certains, des autres pour chacun autrement!

Stuart

When a det in one of those Granatanwerfers blows 'Strippoli' Tony's little dickie off he won't be looking so full of himself...

'Strippoli Tony'...? A bloke's got to earn a living I suppose! :D

A very brazen photograph and rather foolish to show off in that way I would have thought. As has been stated in many other topics the law is there ( see here ) and sometimes enforced. One thing to pick up a shrapnel ball, another to excavate this lot! However, there are certain 'local' arrangements in France despite what the law might say - as Stuart says it's more illegal if you are not French, or to put it another way - if you don't know the right people. Whatever the situation, these pair certainly don't look like the average official demineur...

I'm pretty shocked by this. It's vandalism, pure and simple, digging this stuff up. It's now just worthless rusty metal now that it's archaelogical links have been severed. And to see this guy posing like a rap star on his home page...

Ug.

The same "gentleman" is now a well known local colector. I came across him at Easter, with a table of relics for sale near the Cross of Sacrifice at Lochnagar Crater. I found it all rather distasteful.

I am afraid this thread can only have increased the exposure of his 'little business' and the price tendered on the compass reflects this.

My perfect leather cased compass of the same pattern cost a mere £65 at a local auction - uhmmm.

I'm pretty shocked by this. It's vandalism, pure and simple, digging this stuff up. It's now just worthless rusty metal now that it's archaelogical links have been severed. And to see this guy posing like a rap star on his home page...

Ug.

Appalling - would the relevant authorities be interested in prosecuting this man?

Robbie :angry:

Also have a look at www.dugup.co.uk

Kirky

A computer question:

If you leave a message in his guestbook, is he able to track you down?

I would like to give him a piece of my mind, but if he happily engages in grave-robbing, he is not going to worry about sending a virus etc.

If you click on Legal at http://www.dugup.co.uk/

one of them is aiming a rifle at the viewer, rather threatening really..

First click on www.dugup.co.uk then clickon jay X homepage and then click on Legal...