Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW JOHN THOMPSON

Carollondon

Hello I’m new looking for my Grandand John Thompson born 24th June 1891 Kensington London 

Was POW but don’t know anything else sorry 

any help greatly appreciated 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum.

There are a number of ww1 POWs called by that name. So any other information, anything at all would help the members identify him for you.

14 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Welcome to the forum.

There are a number of ww1 POWs called by that name. So any other information, anything at all would help the members identify him for you.

I only have his date of birth not very helpful am I ? I thought it might be a long shot 

2 minutes ago, Carollondon said:

I only have his date of birth not very helpful am I ? I thought it might be a long shot 

His next of kin and residence would be helpful.

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

His next of kin and residence would be helpful.

His father George Thompson mother Alice ( deceased) Swinbough Rd Kensington London 

33 minutes ago, Carollondon said:

John Thompson born 24th June 1891 Kensington London 

Do you have his Birth Certificate?

The only 1891 birth I saw in Kensington was a September registration [not impossible, but a bit late]

Should give parents.

2 minutes ago, Carollondon said:

His father George Thompson mother Alice ( deceased) Swinbough Rd Kensington London 

Please can you please date that / provide your source? ... as both should be deceased by now!

M

Edited by Matlock1418
manners!

There is said to be a surviving  Absent Voters List for 1918 for the Kensington Parliamentary division.
It is held at Kensington Central Library
12 Phillimore Walk, London, W8 7RX
Telephone: 020 7361 3010

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/libraries-0/libraries-and-room-hire/council-archives-family-history-and-building-history

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/libraries-0/libraries-and-room-hire/kensington-central-library

Assuming he was eligible to vote in this constituency in 1918 and assuming that a relative had got his name onto the list, then the list could give you his name , rank, service number and home address. It would probably be the only surviving document that lists all of these details, and links them together, if his service record is missing.

It isn't digitized, so you will need to visit, or give them a ring to see if his name is on the list,  if it is, it will solve your initial problem.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

9 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Do you have his Birth Certificate?

The only 1891 birth I saw in Kensington was a September registration [not impossible, but a bit late]

Should give parents.

Please can you please date that / provide your source? ... as both should be deceased by now!

M

IMG_9620.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

There is said to be a surviving  Absent Voters List for 1918 for the Kensington Parliamentary division.
It is held at Kensington Central Library
12 Phillimore Walk, London, W8 7RX
Telephone: 020 7361 3010

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/libraries-0/libraries-and-room-hire/council-archives-family-history-and-building-history

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/libraries-0/libraries-and-room-hire/kensington-central-library

Assumng he was eligible to vote in this constituency in 1918 and assuming that a relative had got his name onto the list, then the list could give you his name , rank, service number and home address. It would probably be the only surviving document that lsts all of these details, and links them together, if his service record is missing.

It isn't digitized, so you will need to visit, or give them a ring to see if his name is on the list,  if it is, it will solve your initial problem.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Carollondon said:

Hello I’m new looking for my Grandand John Thompson born 24th June 1891 Kensington London 

Was POW but don’t know anything else sorry 

any help greatly appreciated 

IMG_9620.jpeg

4 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Was John married? Any children? 

Yes he married Dorothy Smith in 1919 they lived in Edmonton london they had 6 kids 

John George violet Hilda May and jean 

IMG_9623.jpeg

• Admin

Thank you Carol- that marriage certificate for John would clinch it I think as the address for this POW is an exact match (courtesy FMP)

image.png

So we now know his service number, Regiment and company.

1 minute ago, DavidOwen said:

Thank you Carol- that marriage certificate for John would clinch it I think as the address for this POW is an exact match (courtesy FMP)

image.png

So we now know his service number, Regiment and company.

Amazing thank you it’s definitely him 

• Admin

The medal rolls tell us which battalions he served in which will allow the identification of the war diaries you need to see - the diaries are usually free to download from the National Archives once you have registered, which is also free.

Image courtesy Ancestry

image.png

• Admin

The war diary for 11 Battalion war diaries are here, first one likely covers the events around his capture:

11 Battalion Suffolk Regiment | The National Archives

11 Battalion Suffolk Regiment | The National Archives

9 Battalion:

9 Battalion Suffolk Regiment | The National Archives

12 Battalion:

12 Battalion Suffolk Regiment | The National Archives

He most likely will not be mentioned by name in any of them and it will need an expert to establish when he may have moved from one unit to the other.

10 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Further you are in luck as some of his service papers survive at FMP British Army Service Records 1914-1920 Image | findmypast.co.uk

You will see he was wounded earlier in the war and returned to duty - feel free to ask questions

image.png

image.png

Can’t thank you enough. So he had a leg injury and was sent home ? Till 1918 ? 
is it possible to find out where he was when he joined up and also where he was held prisoner 

thanks 

• Admin

He joined 5/4/1915 (might be 5/7/1915)

He appears to have been held at Dulmen Prisoners of War 1715-1945 Image | findmypast.co.uk

However I am no expert on ICRC records - others may have more information.

image.png

As he re-embarked for France in 1917 (see service record images above) that suggests his service commenced 5/7/1915.

10 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

He joined 5/4/1915 (might be 5/7/1915)

He appears to have been held at Dulmen Prisoners of War 1715-1945 Image | findmypast.co.uk

However I am no expert on ICRC records - others may have more information.

image.png

As he re-embarked for France in 1917 (see service record images above) that suggests his service commenced 5/7/1915.

Would he have seen action where was he captured please? 
do you think there would be any photos ? 

WFA/Fold3 have an unspecified disability claim pension index card

image.png.9ea3c5ad994de3a9236c927aa1eb95bb.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

I would think the G/16062 would refer to the Middlesex Regiment ... as the 27336 appears to be his Suffolk Regt number.

Discharged/likely transferred to the Army Z Reserve 10.5.19, like many other soldiers he must have made a claim on an Army Form Z.22. [A claim/award and ZR were not incompatible]

His claim was accepted and he was awarded 5/6 pw from 11/5/19 to 11/5/20 [this quantum represented the 20% disability rate for a pension Class V soldier/Private under the 1918 Royal Warrant - single or married without children].  There does not appear to be a further record so it rather looks like that was his lot.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

That’s fantastic thank you for the info really appreciate your time 

Hi Carollondon,

The ICRC have two registers relating to his captivity - link and link. The place written in red in the top right hand corner of the page is the camp that administered his captivity, though isn't necessarily where he was held/put to work.

I hope that the attached may be of interest/help.

Regards
Chris

Translation of headings for ICRC lists.pdf PoW Glossary.pdf prisoncmapofmain00poperich from archive.org.pdf

Thank you that’s so interesting 🤔 do you know why a londoner would be in a Suffolk reg ? 

5 minutes ago, Carollondon said:

do you know why a londoner would be in a Suffolk reg ? 

In many cases - usually down to the exingencies of Army needs.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Hi Carollondon,

From the images posted up thread, it shows that he originally served with the Middlesex Regiment. My guess would be that he was was transferred to the Suffolks either very shortly before he left from Southampton, or shortly after he arrived in France at an Infantry Base Depot (link) before being sent into the field.

Regards
Chris

Edited by clk
Spelling