Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

dog tag

battle of loos

There is a Great War medal index card for a J L Furney, 24th Punjabis, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel. He may have been a relative. The Indian Army was reorganised in 1922 and the 24th Punjabis became one of the battalions of the new 14th Punjab Regiment along with the 19th, 21st, 22nd Punjabis and the 40th Pathans. So it would be odd if there were two officers called Furney with no family connection.

Edited by high wood

28 minutes ago, Clancy said:

I found a couple of other bits and bobs including a photo (not in uniform) but haven't posted them as I clearly may be incorrect.

Such modesty.
I think you've nailed it.
Well done!

28 minutes ago, Clancy said:

I found a couple of other bits and bobs including a photo (not in uniform) but haven't posted them as I clearly may be incorrect.

Such modesty.
I think you've nailed it.
Well done!

10 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

Did officers of the Indian Army and British Army receive numbers in the interwar period? I have seen numbers for British Army officers in WW2 editions of the London Gazette.

Commissioned Officers first had an Army Number allotted in August 1920 - Army Order 338. 

That's very useful to know, and pushes the date of the identity disk further forward into the interwar period. Thanks for taking the time to provide a clear answer!

An absolutely superb piece of sleuthing by Clancy earlier!

good evening,

perfect.

very good job.

my friend is very happy for your help.

regards

michel

Though the circular red 'dog tag'/identity disc subject of this thread seems post-war this WFA article may be of interest

• Identifying the Dead: a Short Study of the Identification Tags of 1914-1918

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/identifying-the-dead-a-short-study-of-the-identification-tags-of-1914-1918

M

Edited by Matlock1418

So, in conclusion, we have an interwar identity disc, which somehow ended up in France, which was believed to relate to WW1.

Try putting a piece of tracing paper of the disc and rub over it, gently,  with a pencil.

TR

17 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

So, in conclusion, we have an interwar identity disc, which somehow ended up in France, which was believed to relate to WW1.

Don't shoot the messenger Keith - after all, circular red pressed fibre discs were used in WW1

11 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Try putting a piece of tracing paper of the disc and rub over it, gently,  with a pencil.

I suppose an option - yes, carefully and with a soft medium [side of pencil/crayon, charcoal or chalk] = a bit like 'Brass rubbing'!  But easier on the knees I would think!! :D

I think we are probably there already regards identity.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

10 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

TR

I'm going to ask my friend to do this.

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

Though the circular red 'dog tag'/identity disc subject of this thread seems post-war this WFA article may be of interest

• Identifying the Dead: a Short Study of the Identification Tags of 1914-1918

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/identifying-the-dead-a-short-study-of-the-identification-tags-of-1914-1918

M

The article was written by former forum member Croonaert, sadly no longer with  us.  

7 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

The article was written by former forum member Croonaert, sadly no longer with  us.  

Yes, sad. Time and whatever takes its toll eventually for all of us [in the end] - We've lost many good members over the years. :(

Here's to a bit/lot longer for the present cohort.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Hello,

Thank you, I am so pleased it was the right Furney!   And here's a picture:) (The following images are all from Findmypast).  

image.png.a336d093eb4943ef85e164c9d9177047.png

image.png.7a74af3182748a37fa6fe8b29be028bf.png

So he is looking rather glum about winning a golf tournament probably because it was described in a newspaper as being "disappointing for the spectators" and he won "not so much because he played better, but by reason of making fewer mistakes"!  Brutal:doh:

This is the marriage transcript:

image.png.b77f2d8e4f313f0637ffd0f36bad69d0.png

a passenger transcript where he off to Yemen:

image.png.10c96bbab6743b4ec1641915b2aaa813.png

and probate:

image.png.dba29719cebd746eb1aa4b2de9a6872b.png

There was a few gazettal clippings and other golf tournaments but thought these were probably the most beneficial.

Kind regards, Clancy

wonderful.

thank's

michel