Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying collar badge

Dylantourcoing

Hello everyone. 

I have this photi of an ancestor, I know he had a daughter in 1915 in glasgow and signed the certificate as a bandsman.

Do you recognise that collar badge? 

I figured the buff colour was the Hli in glasgow but can't identify that dragon.

Thanks for your help.

received_379163108260596.jpeg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. I’m wanting to say Monmouthshire Regiment. @FROGSMILE will be able to help more I’m sure.  Does your man have a name?

Hello, thanks for your help.

William Percival, son of George Percival  also a soldier.  No birth dates. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. I’m wanting to say Monmouthshire Regiment. @FROGSMILE will be able to help more I’m sure.  Does your man have a name?

It looks like Welsh Regiment to me Michelle, although the Monmouthshire’s (TF), who were administratively a part of the corps of the South Wales Borderers (along with the Brecknockshires), wore a very similar badge on their collars too.  Initially on white collars, but like their SWB parent unit they’d in theory switched back to grass green** in the decade before WW1 whereas the Welsh Regiment retained their white facings.  See also: https://www.greatwarforum.org/in topic/271712-welch-welsh-or-not-badge/

The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) had a similar dragon collar badge that was also worn on a white collar and telling the two apart can be difficult from any distance.  The key difference was the dragon of the Welsh had a loop in its tail and usually noticeably more upright wings.  Unfortunately the tail of the dragon is obscured in subject photo, but the wings do seem more upright so on balance I think it’s the Welsh Regiment.

** In reality old stocks or white faced uniforms were still being used due to the expense of changing for Territorial County Associations.

IMG_3177.jpeg

IMG_3179.jpeg

IMG_3180.jpeg

IMG_3181.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Here are some Buffs collar badges for comparison with the Welsh above and also with your photograph.  Notice the usually upraised claw with a distinct bend at the elbow that is different to the Welsh type.  Also the two wings are swept back in a curve and divide differently, with a clear view of the edge of both wings, whereas for the Welsh type you can only see the tips.  The biggest difference is no loop in the tail.  Among the group you can see a variant with the claw pointed down and a different configuration of the wings much more widely spread.  The common feature though is always the loop-less tail.  The facing colour is buff, rather than white, but it had been white before the Boer War (see B&W photo of bandsman). 

IMG_3183.jpeg

IMG_3184.jpeg

IMG_3185.jpeg

IMG_3186.jpeg

IMG_3187.jpeg

IMG_3189.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg

IMG_3188.jpeg

IMG_3191.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Looking at the Medal Index Cards and the Medal Rolls, I can only find #11515 with a second number of #55687 of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Thanks everyone. How would he be in Glasgow if part of welsh regiments?

21 hours ago, Dylantourcoing said:

Thanks everyone. How would he be in Glasgow if part of welsh regiments?

At that time the regimental recruiting areas had not yet become sacrosanct and infantry enlistees could be sent to join any regular regiment that was understrength.  Recruiting sergeants were directed that flow was the priority rather than being hidebound about geographical origins.  Most recruits came from the big industrial towns and that’s where they were targeted, only a few relatively came from rural areas.  Also working men were more itinerant at that time and often enlisted miles from home when they could not find other work.  It was WW1 recruiting via a combination of Territorials, Pal’s Battalions, and conscription that really embedded (at last) the local recruiting areas.

NB.  This was all the more the case for men recruited as bandsmen (musicians).  Nobody cared where they came from.

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

Looking at the Medal Index Cards and the Medal Rolls, I can only find #11515 with a second number of #55687 of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he served with more than one regiment Allan, as you know it was quite common over the course of WW1.

15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he served with more than one regiment Allan, as you know it was quite common over the course of WW1.

Very true as I have found out over the years of researching grandfathers; great uncles etc.