Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt 1739, George Fallow, 5th Bn The Royal Scots at Gallipoli

Tom Lang

I'm looking for a copy of WO 95/4312 - 01 Jul 1914 to 29 Feb 1916 (29 Div. 88 Bde.)

This is the period when the 5th Royal Scots were in Gallipoli.

I'm researching a soldier (Sgt 1739, George Fallow, who Died of Wounds on 19 Aug 1915).

WO 95/4312 is not available for download at TNA. I keep finding more and more Refs that are not available for download.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

The Gallipoli diaries have been digitised but they are available through Ancestry rather than the National Archives site.

2 hours ago, Chris_Baker said:

The Gallipoli diaries have been digitised but they are available through Ancestry rather than the National Archives site.

Thanks Chris, but this means that all 'free' research is brought to a halt without a member$hip with Ancestry ($pit).

Is there some 'arrangement' between TNA and Ance$try ($pit)?

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Per Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' the 5th RS were at Gully Beach on 19th August having just been in the firing line at Worcester Flat since 14th August.

Edited by michaeldr

This is going to be difficult to pin down. 
The battalion arrived in the front line at Worcester Flat at 3pm on 14th August
They came out of the line and were at Gully Beach by 7pm on the 19th August
Between those dates/times the 5th RS's WD does not record any casualties

However, the Brigade WD indicates that at this time the 5th RSs contributed to a Composite Battalion made up from elements of 4th Worcesters, 2nd Hants plus 5 officers + 120 other ranks 1/5th Royal Scots
[The RS's WD puts it a little differently saying that on 13th August, 3 officers went to the Hampshire Rgt and 2 officers + 100 NCOs & men went to the Worcesters]

One of the reasons for this was that the Worcesters had lost so heavily in the attack on 6th August [16 officers & 752 other ranks]. There does not appear to be a Worcesters' WD for the period from 7th August till the end of the month. 

As the 5th RS WD does not record any casualties, then it is possible that your man could have been  wounded while serving with the Worcesters. Another possibility which cannot be ruled out is that his fatal wound was received earlier - before the period 14th-19th August the last casualties given in the WD were suffered by the battalion were on 6th/7th August 

The map shows the front line in this section of Helles and Worcester Flat is seen in the top right-hand quarter

image.jpeg.71049172ce4b0448b545f0cbce54e697.jpeg

See post on above thread from 24 June 2015 - " i know they were able to get Fallow out of Gallipoli and he died in Egypt, but how long he was in hospital for??? "

That seems to be the question you should be asking here

16 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Per Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' the 5th RS were at Gully Beach on 19th August having just been in the firing line at Worcester Flat since 14th August.

12 hours ago, michaeldr said:

This is going to be difficult to pin down. 
The battalion arrived in the front line at Worcester Flat at 3pm on 14th August
They came out of the line and were at Gully Beach by 7pm on the 19th August
Between those dates/times the 5th RS's WD does not record any casualties

However, the Brigade WD indicates that at this time the 5th RSs contributed to a Composite Battalion made up from elements of 4th Worcesters, 2nd Hants plus 5 officers + 120 other ranks 1/5th Royal Scots
[The RS's WD puts it a little differently saying that on 13th August, 3 officers went to the Hampshire Rgt and 2 officers + 100 NCOs & men went to the Worcesters]

One of the reasons for this was that the Worcesters had lost so heavily in the attack on 6th August [16 officers & 752 other ranks]. There does not appear to be a Worcesters' WD for the period from 7th August till the end of the month. 

As the 5th RS WD does not record any casualties, then it is possible that your man could have been  wounded while serving with the Worcesters. Another possibility which cannot be ruled out is that his fatal wound was received earlier - before the period 14th-19th August the last casualties given in the WD were suffered by the battalion were on 6th/7th August 

The map shows the front line in this section of Helles and Worcester Flat is seen in the top right-hand quarter

image.jpeg.71049172ce4b0448b545f0cbce54e697.jpeg

9 hours ago, michaeldr said:

See post on above thread from 24 June 2015 - " i know they were able to get Fallow out of Gallipoli and he died in Egypt, but how long he was in hospital for??? "

That seems to be the question you should be asking here

Many thanks Michael.

My research of this soldier stems from his name on a local War Memorial.

I am going along the names alphabetically, with the intention of building a website for these brave men.

My basic clues began with - "G. FALLOW     Sgt R.S.".

My research into this soldier sent me to search for the WD. CWGC and SNWM show him as 5th Battalion, The Royal Scots.

It is fascinating that he has a plant named after him, and that he was a gardener at Royal Botanic Gardens, Edinburgh.

The GWF Gurus come up triumphs again.

I'll get my head down and dig further into the history of this soldier.

I've attached a snippet taken from the Dalserf War Memorial, Ashgillhead, Shawsburn, Larkhall, Lanarkshire.

From what I've learned so far, his parents lived in the Village of Rosebank, Parish of Dalserf.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

FALLOW G - Sgt Royal Scots - Dalserf War Memorial - snippet.jpg

Edited by Tom Lang

12 hours ago, michaeldr said:

<snip>

<snip>

Per CWGC, he is buried in Port Said War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt.

Died of Wounds on 19 Aug 1915, so must've been evacuated there from an earlier date as you suggest.

Many thanks.

Tom.

This is an photo of Sergeant George Fallow found in an album of newspaper cuttings held at The Royal Scots Museum at Edinburgh Castle.

https://stories.rbge.org.uk/archives/16849

Tom.

George Cruickshanks Fallow.jpg

• Tom Lang changed the title to Sgt 1739, George Fallow, 5th Bn The Royal Scots at Gallipoli

Hello Tom

I helped with some of the WW1 research relating to the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, and also a memorial in a church fairly close to the gardens, St. Stephen's Parish Church. This is the info I have for Sgt Fallow. Sadly, like others, I've been unable to discover when he was wounded. Most of the information comes from newspapers, school records, national probate entries and pension related cards as found on Ancestry, Fold3 and Findmypast, with some information also coming from the Royal Botanic Garden. Happy to receive any amendments or additions that you might find.

"Fallow, George Cruickshanks: Lance Sergeant, 5th Battalion Royal Scots: Born on 05/11/1890 at Dalserf, Lanarkshire. A son of Archibald Fallow, grocer and fruit grower, and Margaret Fallow [nee Robertson] of the Sub-Post Office, Rosebank, Dalserf, Lanarkshire [some sources state Rosebank, Carluke]. Siblings were Gavin Scott, Archibald, Lizzie and Jeannie. Lance Sergeant Fallow was educated at Dalserf Public School, was later engaged as an apprentice at Mauldslie Castle near Rosebank, then was employed at Alloa Park, then as a probationary gardener the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh, then in July 1914, he was latterly appointed as Sub-Inspector at the Horticultural Branch of the Board of Agriculture, London. He enlisted at Edinburgh and initially served as Corporal 1739 in the 5th Battalion Royal Scots, entering the Balkans as a theatre of war on 25/04/1915, being appointed Lance Sergeant. He was wounded whilst serving at Gallipoli and he died of his wounds on 19/08/1915, aged 24, at the Government Schools Hospital, Port Said, Egypt, and is buried in Port Said War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt, Grave K.4. He was awarded the 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal and was mentioned in a biographical note, casualty list and death notice in The Scotsman, 02/09/1915 & 13/09/1915, a biographical note and casualty list in the Edinburgh Evening News, 02/09/1915 & 13/09/1915, a biographical note in the Daily Record, 03/09/1915, and a biographical note and death notice in the Hamilton Advertiser, 04/09/1915. He is remembered on St. Stephen’s Parish Church, Stockbridge, Great War Memorial (now the St. Stephen’s Theatre, Edinburgh). [Pension ledger card and pension record card exist]

Kind regards

LIT

2 hours ago, Lost in Tilloy said:

Hello Tom

I helped with some of the WW1 research relating to the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, and also a memorial in a church fairly close to the gardens, St. Stephen's Parish Church. This is the info I have for Sgt Fallow. Sadly, like others, I've been unable to discover when he was wounded. Most of the information comes from newspapers, school records, national probate entries and pension related cards as found on Ancestry, Fold3 and Findmypast, with some information also coming from the Royal Botanic Garden. Happy to receive any amendments or additions that you might find.

"Fallow, George Cruickshanks: Lance Sergeant, 5th Battalion Royal Scots: Born on 05/11/1890 at Dalserf, Lanarkshire. A son of Archibald Fallow, grocer and fruit grower, and Margaret Fallow [nee Robertson] of the Sub-Post Office, Rosebank, Dalserf, Lanarkshire [some sources state Rosebank, Carluke]. Siblings were Gavin Scott, Archibald, Lizzie and Jeannie. Lance Sergeant Fallow was educated at Dalserf Public School, was later engaged as an apprentice at Mauldslie Castle near Rosebank, then was employed at Alloa Park, then as a probationary gardener the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh, then in July 1914, he was latterly appointed as Sub-Inspector at the Horticultural Branch of the Board of Agriculture, London. He enlisted at Edinburgh and initially served as Corporal 1739 in the 5th Battalion Royal Scots, entering the Balkans as a theatre of war on 25/04/1915, being appointed Lance Sergeant. He was wounded whilst serving at Gallipoli and he died of his wounds on 19/08/1915, aged 24, at the Government Schools Hospital, Port Said, Egypt, and is buried in Port Said War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt, Grave K.4. He was awarded the 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal and was mentioned in a biographical note, casualty list and death notice in The Scotsman, 02/09/1915 & 13/09/1915, a biographical note and casualty list in the Edinburgh Evening News, 02/09/1915 & 13/09/1915, a biographical note in the Daily Record, 03/09/1915, and a biographical note and death notice in the Hamilton Advertiser, 04/09/1915. He is remembered on St. Stephen’s Parish Church, Stockbridge, Great War Memorial (now the St. Stephen’s Theatre, Edinburgh). [Pension ledger card and pension record card exist]

Kind regards

LIT

Hello LIT,

Thank you for this info.

I'm just going through each of the name on Dalserf War Memorial, Ashgillhead, Larkhall, Lanarkshire.

Here's some of what I know so far:

GEORGE CRUICKSHANKS FALLOW was born at Rosebank, (Parish of) Dalserf, Lanarkshire, Scotland, on 5 Nov 1890. 

His parents were Archibald FALLOW, a Fruitgrower, and Margaret ROBERTSON who were married at Rosebank on 17 Jun 1887.
His paternal grandparents were David FALLOW, a General Labourer, and Jane SCOTT.
His maternal grandparents were Donald ROBERTSON, a Cab Proprietor, and Elizabeth CRUICKSHANKS.

The 1891 ROSEBANK Census was taken on 5 Apr 1891.
The family are listed at Rosebank, as follows:
Archibald FALLOW, age 32, Head, Grocer & Fruit Grower, b Glassford.
Margaret R. FALLOW, age 31, Wife, b Glasgow.
Gavin Scott FALLOW, age 3, Son, b Dalserf.
GEORGE C. FALLOW, age 5 months, Son, b Dalserf.

On 11 Apr 1898, his father Archibald FALLOW, age 39, died at Rosebank, Parish of Dalserf.

The 1901 ROSEBANK Census was taken on 31 Mar 1901.
The family are listed at 10 Rosebank, as follows:
Margaret FALLOW, age 41, Head, Widow, Grocer, b Glasgow.
Gavin FALLOW, age 12, Son, Scholar, b Dalserf.
GEORGE FALLOW, age 10, Son, Scholar, b Dalserf.
Archie FALLOW, age 8, Son, Scholar, b Dalserf.
Lizzie FALLOW, age 7, Daughter, Scholar, b Dalserf.
Jeannie FALLOW, age 5, Daughter, Scholar, b Dalserf.

The 1911 ROSEBANK Census was taken on 2 Apr 1911.
The family are listed at Rosebank, as follows:
Margaret FALLOW, age 52, Head, Widow, Grocer, b Glasgow.
Archibald FALLOW, age 18, Son, Engineer, b Dalserf.
Elizabeth FALLOW, age 17, Daughter, Scholar, b Dalserf.
Jeanie FALLOW, age 15, Daughter, Scholar, b Dalserf.
Robert Hunter, age 16, Visitor, Structural Draughtsman, b Clelland.

The 1921 ROSEBANK Census was taken on 19 Jun 1921.
The family are listed at 15 Rosebank, as follows:
Margaret FALLOW, age 61, Head, Widow, Grocer, b Glasgow.
William FULTON, age 27, Son-in-Law, School Teacher, b Milton.
Elizabeth FULTON, age 27, Daughter, b Dalserf.
Margaret FULTON, age 10 months, Grand Daughter, b Cathcart.

The Parish of Carluke is on the North side of the River Clyde, where he worked at Mauldslie Estate. Mauldslie is in the Parish of Carluke.

The Parish of Dalserf is on the South side of the River. The Village of Rosebank, is on the South side and is in the Parish of Dalserf.

This is not to be confused with the Village of Dalserf which is just a couple of miles (if that) to the west on the A72 which winds its way along the banks of the River.

So far, I have collected BDM and Census records from ScotlandsPeople, BUT I cannot find GEORGE (now about 20) in the 1911 Census.

These Parish names are very confusing unless you know the geography.

The Dalserf War Memorial is in the Parish of Dalserf, but is not in the Village of Dalserf.

I will continue to search for the 1st Part of the 5th Bn Royal Scots, which covers the period when the Bn were in the Balkans. Unfortunately it is only available on Ance$try ($pit).

I have the 2nd part, but that is after Sgt FALLOW had DoW in Egypt.

I'll now look into the hospital and possibly find some admission records.

Its all a bit up in the air right now, but I'll find what I can. To me, his is another brave man who deserves my attention, from a local War Memorial.

I've attached a photo snippet of what I started with.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

FALLOW G - Sgt Royal Scots - Dalserf War Memorial - snippet.jpg

3 hours ago, Lost in Tilloy said:

Hello Tom

Kind regards

LIT

I can't get your link to work.

Can you please redo it?

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

Hello Tom

Many thanks for your reply and indeed all the extra family information. Thanks also for clarification about the difference between the Parish and Dalserf and village of the same name. Helpful to someone like me who doesn't know the area well.

Regarding the link you mention, I now notice what you are referring to but hadn't noticed it when I originally pasted the entry from my Word ROH to this thread. There is no link in my original Word ROH entry. I assume it is an anomaly of some sorts whilst copying over. 

I will keep an eye out for any additional information that might give more details about when and where Sgt Fallow was wounded.

Regards

LIT

Just to add in some men of the Royal Botanic Gardens...

George Brown, labourer 1914, 9RS

John White, probationer 1912, 9RS

Daniel Spence Sweeney, hall attendant 1911, 9RS

James Stewart Tod, packer 1902, 9RS

John Tod, also law clerk, 9RS kia 28.8.15

Before the war it seems the Tod brothers had worked for their step-father (Duncan Robertson, park keeper) at the Gardens.

https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/

8 hours ago, Lost in Tilloy said:

Hello Tom

Many thanks for your reply and indeed all the extra family information. Thanks also for clarification about the difference between the Parish and Dalserf and village of the same name. Helpful to someone like me who doesn't know the area well.

Regarding the link you mention, I now notice what you are referring to but hadn't noticed it when I originally pasted the entry from my Word ROH to this thread. There is no link in my original Word ROH entry. I assume it is an anomaly of some sorts whilst copying over. 

I will keep an eye out for any additional information that might give more details about when and where Sgt Fallow was wounded.

Regards

LIT

Hello LLT,

I've attached a Parish Map of the County of Lanarkshire (courtesy of Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society).

If this could be overlaid on a geographical map you'd see the River Clyde creating a physical boundary between Dalserf Parish on the South side and Carluke Parish on the North side of the River. You can follow the River along the boundaries say from Carmichael Parish, Lesmahagow/Lanark Parishes, Dalserf/Carluke/Cambusnethan, all the way to Glasgow and the Atlantic Ocean

The historic Parishes provided the 'catchment' area which defined the income (cash collections) for the Parish church.

The Village of Dalserf is within the Parish of Dalserf - but so are many other small Villages and Hamlets.

Kindest Regards,

Tom. 

Parish Map of the County of Lanark.jpg

Tom,

Don't know if this will help you but there was 1 officer & 1 man killed with a further 9 men wounded on the 6th August 1915. The following day there were 13 men wounded. Don't know if your man was one of these. (See attached war diary for month of August 1915 courtesy of Ancestry).

George

1_5th Battalion Royal Scots War Diary (1st to 14th August 1915).jpg

1_5th Battalion Royal Scots War Diary (14th to 22nd August 1915).jpg

1_5th Battalion Royal Scots War Diary (25th to 31st August 1915).jpg

Many thanks for the helpful map and description of the divide Tom, and to Neil re other Royal Botanic Garden casualties. Thanks for the war diary entries George also.

Looking at Major Ewing's book, The Royal Scots 1914-1919, if he was one of the wounded around 6th August, then this was just after the battalion arrived back at Cape Helles having been rested at Mudros from roughly 12th July. The landing at Sulva Bay was between 6th-7th August, but Major Ewing states that a "series of demonstrations was made at Cape Helles, chiefly by the Twenty-ninth and the Forty-second Divisions, but in none of the actions were any of the Royal Scots battalions engaged. The drainage on their strength, however, from dysentery began to be alarming." Wonder if the casualties on 6th were due to something like shell fire?

Regards

LIT

An update re 6th August. The Order of Battle for 29th Division mentions that the 5th RS were in the 88th Brigade and this Brigade took part at an action known as Krithia Vineyard. According to Wikipedia the 88th Brigade took part in the attack on the afternoon of the 6th. So that could account for the casualties mentioned in the war diary even though Major Ewing's book suggests the none of the RS Battalions took part in the "demonstrations" at Cape Helles.

I also had a look through some of the other casualties I've researched and noticed that I had details for a Private 2441 John Begg Rosie of the 5th RS  who was KIA on 6th August 1915. The officer might be 2nd Lt Neil Leslie Campbell, though his date of death is given as 8th August 1915 in one source and 7th August in another. Both are either buried or commemorated at Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery.

So, perhaps still and action that Sgt Fallow was potentially wounded in.

Regards

LIT

LIT,

Peter Edington, Service N° 949 of the 5th battalion is listed as having died on the 9th August 1915. His name is listed on Panel 26 to 31 on the Helles Memorial.

George

4 hours ago, George Millar said:

Tom,

Don't know if this will help you but there was 1 officer & 1 man killed with a further 9 men wounded on the 6th August 1915. The following day there were 13 men wounded. Don't know if your man was one of these. (See attached war diary for month of August 1915 courtesy of Ancestry).

George

1_5th Battalion Royal Scots War Diary (1st to 14th August 1915).jpg

1_5th Battalion Royal Scots War Diary (14th to 22nd August 1915).jpg

1_5th Battalion Royal Scots War Diary (25th to 31st August 1915).jpg

3 hours ago, Lost in Tilloy said:

Many thanks for the helpful map and description of the divide Tom, and to Neil re other Royal Botanic Garden casualties. Thanks for the war diary entries George also.

Looking at Major Ewing's book, The Royal Scots 1914-1919, if he was one of the wounded around 6th August, then this was just after the battalion arrived back at Cape Helles having been rested at Mudros from roughly 12th July. The landing at Sulva Bay was between 6th-7th August, but Major Ewing states that a "series of demonstrations was made at Cape Helles, chiefly by the Twenty-ninth and the Forty-second Divisions, but in none of the actions were any of the Royal Scots battalions engaged. The drainage on their strength, however, from dysentery began to be alarming." Wonder if the casualties on 6th were due to something like shell fire?

Regards

LIT

1 hour ago, Lost in Tilloy said:

An update re 6th August. The Order of Battle for 29th Division mentions that the 5th RS were in the 88th Brigade and this Brigade took part at an action known as Krithia Vineyard. According to Wikipedia the 88th Brigade took part in the attack on the afternoon of the 6th. So that could account for the casualties mentioned in the war diary even though Major Ewing's book suggests the none of the RS Battalions took part in the "demonstrations" at Cape Helles.

I also had a look through some of the other casualties I've researched and noticed that I had details for a Private 2441 John Begg Rosie of the 5th RS  who was KIA on 6th August 1915. The officer might be 2nd Lt Neil Leslie Campbell, though his date of death is given as 8th August 1915 in one source and 7th August in another. Both are either buried or commemorated at Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery.

So, perhaps still and action that Sgt Fallow was potentially wounded in.

Regards

LIT

1 hour ago, George Millar said:

LIT,

Peter Edington, Service N° 949 of the 5th battalion is listed as having died on the 9th August 1915. His name is listed on Panel 26 to 31 on the Helles Memorial.

George

Many thanks to you both.

I'll transcribe these pages and it is reasonable to suggest that this was when Sgt FALLOW was wounded.

I'm attaching 2 photos of the plant (Buddleia Fallowiana) named after Sgt GEORGE FALLOW by the RBGE (both courtesy RBGE). The 2nd one is a b/w from the plant grown at RGBE.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

RBGE Buddleia Fallowiana Photo.jpg

RBGE Buddleia Fallowiana in flower at RBGE in 1928.jpg

13 hours ago, Lost in Tilloy said:

Hello Tom

Regards

LIT

I meant to add that it was 'customary' to use the Parish name for your Place of Birth. So it was common to see 'Dalserf' as such - BUT this is where the confusion came from, because of the existence of the Village of Dalserf, just along the A72. Not everyone in the Parish of Dalserf was born in the Village of Dalserf. (There are many examples of this 'confusion').

But it was also 'customary' to use the name of the nearest Post Office for your Postal Address. So it was common to see "Rosebank, by Carluke" as an address. At the turn of the 19th/20th Century there was no Post Office in the Village of Rosebank. Later, Sgt Fallow's mother and father opened a grocery store, and opened the first Sub-Post Office in the Village of Rosebank. His father was a fruit-grower and I'm sure they would've sold fresh fruits & vegetables. From there I guess that their son George got his interest in Botany - then a job at Mauldslie Estate on the other (North) side of the River Clyde. Mauldslie Estate had their own bridge across the River (from South (Dalserf Parish) to North (Carluke Parish)), with a Gatehouse on the South side (Dalserf Parish).

I hope this makes sense.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Hi Tom

Yes, makes sense. Thanks also for the pictures of the flower named after him. I believe that the only reason that he wasn't mentioned on the Royal Botanic Garden's memorial is that he had officially left his position before the war began.

George, thanks for information re L/Cpl Edington. His service papers haven't survived, however I've manged to find out quite a bit about him. One source states that he was wounded twice within a few days, the latter being in the head and was in hospital in Alexandria, but the Soldier's Effects file states that he died of his wounds aboard H.S. Tunisian. As he's mentioned on the Helles Memorial instead of being buried in a grave in Alexandria I suspect the H.S. Tunisian entry is most likely correct.

Regards

LIT

On 14/03/2024 at 16:05, Lost in Tilloy said:

Hi Tom

Yes, makes sense. Thanks also for the pictures of the flower named after him. I believe that the only reason that he wasn't mentioned on the Royal Botanic Garden's memorial is that he had officially left his position before the war began.

George, thanks for information re L/Cpl Edington. His service papers haven't survived, however I've manged to find out quite a bit about him. One source states that he was wounded twice within a few days, the latter being in the head and was in hospital in Alexandria, but the Soldier's Effects file states that he died of his wounds aboard H.S. Tunisian. As he's mentioned on the Helles Memorial instead of being buried in a grave in Alexandria I suspect the H.S. Tunisian entry is most likely correct.

Regards

LIT

Thanks LIT.

I'm attaching my transcription of the WD pages supplied by George.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

5th Bn Royal Scots - WD - 1915 08_Page_2.jpg

5th Bn Royal Scots - WD - 1915 08_Page_4.jpg

5th Bn Royal Scots - WD - 1915 08_Page_6.jpg

Edited by Tom Lang
Updated Attachment No 3

5 hours ago, George Millar said:

<snip> The following day there were 13 men wounded. <snip>

Thanks George, but I don't see "The following day there were 13 men wounded".

See my Transcription.

Tom.

image.jpeg.6bb057cddfb9865388e337b36e222d6d.jpeg

Tom's transcription looks correct - the word is Bivouaced

It should have read Bivouacked, but does not read '13 wounded'