Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA War Diaries - Medical

JamesHH

They are lists of Sick & Wounded. Generally speaking the details are submitted by any unit that these men move through. That's usually medical but once recovered it would included Convalescent camps.

The lists were sent to the War Office in London who sent the lists onto each regional or in this case unit record office. They used them to update their own records and keep track of men for pay and admin purposes.

Each list became redundant fairly quickly and as there was a paper shortage the record offices recycled as much as possible.

They were then used for whatever was needed at the time. They survived when they were used for something which was retained in someone's file. Some times they are whole other times they can be halved, quartered or in strips.

In other words the other side would be a note, letter or memo relating to a completely unconnected individual.

There is a long topic on these lists but I think out of almost 11,000 only a handful of two halves have been matched up.

The other half you're after could be in a service file somewhere or it may have been used as a letter etc. to EG. Effects Branch, Pensions or Medal Office and retained or binned by them.

TEW

Hi James

Here are the other pages that were on the same filmstrip.  Sorry, but I'm not sure they are helpful:unsure:.

Kind regards, Clancy (who just quietly would also like a new kitchen!)

(Images are all from Findmypast)

image.png.c27c3f06ee08361fc5446f320c6b9684.png

image.png.19ad935e642d1dede522b326482a2326.png

image.png.2b3fa1f7c65f87b3b960bf0768520382.png

Thanks all for the information and help, its slowly coming together, what a great shame that the records are incomplete, the Pt2 orders would help not just me but all who are trying to trace loved ones in giving answers to what is a gigantic puzzle.