Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA War Diaries - Medical

JamesHH

Hello,

am researching my grandfather who was a sergent farrier in 235 Brigade 7th London Division RFA TF.

I have gathered a lot of information from the on line sources such as War Diary's HQ war diaries etc. about him and his locations.

He survived the war but was injured twice, once being shot through the hand and secondly gassed.

In 1918 he was tranferred back to England suffering from influenza and admitted to the number one southern hospital, located in Edgbaston in the West Mids.

Now my question is where can I view on line the unit records which would name NCO's BQMS staff etc, as, if this record exists, will give the the dates and location of his unit when he shot/gassed. The unit war diaries only gives details of 2Lt upwards. There is no mention of the lower ranks by name.

There must have been some record kept by the unit at the time which will show his medical conditions, especially as he was returned to England. There must have been a nominal roll for his unit as well?

Do any of you knowledgable people out there have a clue for me on where to look ?

Greatful thanks to anyone who can assist me.

James

• Admin
17 minutes ago, JamesHH said:

There must have been some record kept by the unit at the time which will show his medical conditions

18 minutes ago, JamesHH said:

There must have been a nominal roll for his unit as well?

Welcome to the Forum

You might well be correct in saying must this and must that etc etc ....

The reality however is that the majority of soldier's service records went up in smoke in WW2.

War Diaries did not keep details of Other Ranks and the so-called Part II Orders detailing the key movements of men etc were weeded out and are now lost

There is sample (small fraction) of Admission & Discharge records for various RAMC Medical Units - in the so-called MH106 series - these are available at TNA and some have been digitised on FMP. You might be very lucky and find your man in one of those.

Regards & Good Luck !

Russ

• Admin

As noted by Russ most WW1 records were lost in the London Blitz A full list of what was lost, including casualty cards is here

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/the-1940-fire-at-arnside-street/

The National Library of Scotland has the WO  published Weekly Casualty List though they do not include sickness

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/144481815

Prior to those lists casualties were reported in the Times and syndicated to newspapers locally.

• Admin

The other potential source is the Pension claim records - comprising Index Cards and Ledgers.

If his condition was such that he claimed a pension or the like because of some war-service related disability, then he might be in this record set.

The records have been digitised and are available on FOLD/3 or are freely accessible to members of the Western Front Association.

Russ

1 hour ago, JamesHH said:

am researching my grandfather who was a sergent farrier in 235 Brigade 7th London Division RFA TF.

I have gathered a lot of information from the on line sources such as War Diary's HQ war diaries etc. about him and his locations.

He survived the war but was injured twice, once being shot through the hand and secondly gassed.

In 1918 he was tranferred back to England suffering from influenza and admitted to the number one southern hospital, located in Edgbaston in the West Mids.

James, Welcome to GWF

Your details above suggest that you perhaps have found some of his Service and/or Medical Records. ??

- though there is no obligation for you to also provide his Name and Number it may help you if other members and I knew these details ... it's your choice.

Many hand/eyes can potentially make lighter work for you - perhaps even in ways you haven't imagined

[My area of interest significantly revolves around pensions for the disabled and bereaved dependants]

Wishing you the best of luck.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you RussT, matlock, and Ken for the information.

I have done as much research as possible, the Pension records via WFA only show a card, with 'rejected' anotated on it dated about 1920.

thank you for your suggestion Matlock his details are as follows,

Farrier Sergent G W Menday RFA TF

No 887 then 960531

C Battery 7th London RFA part of the 47th London Division, based at Fulham drill Hall London.

Photo attached of him outside Fulham Drill Hall before going to France, he is 2nd from left front row.

menday113_hf.jpg.4f7c2d71ef18da931d897e26669e5b24.jpg

He was shot through the hand and on a seperate occassion gassed. (Dates unknown)

Here is an image of him in a field hospital following being gassed. (Location and date unknown)  2nd on the right.

Menday116_hf.jpg.26aa91b582129ce928560f65565e2766.jpg

In the field with his Vetenary Box.

Menday105_hf.jpg.06d546f2ec77ea47015fc6a23c0c3617.jpg

He ended the war in 1918 in D Battery 235 Brigade. He was evacuated home in 5/18 with influenza.

James

The ideal source for the sort of information you mention would have been the unit's daily Part II Orders. You do very occasionally come across fragments of this document, held within a man's service records, but the rest all went up in smoke.

On 04/03/2024 at 10:16, JamesHH said:

Farrier Sergent G W Menday RFA TF

No 887 then 960531

On 04/03/2024 at 10:16, JamesHH said:

the Pension records via WFA only show a card, with 'rejected' anotated on it dated about 1920.

Showing on PIC as George William MENDAY

For your info and to avoid possible confusion - the stamped number 181006 at the top of the PIC was the claim Rejection No. [and not another Army no.]

Great photos - All the best.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thanks for the reply Matlock1418, Do you happen to know where the citations for honours and awards would be ? I wish to read one about a colleague of my grandfather,

or were these lost over time in the fire. I have searched the gazette, but it only tells me what I already know about the chaps MSM, but not why he got it.

regards

James

You might find a Nominal Roll in local newspapers on mobilisation. See https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

Relevant newspapers might also include  note of his wounding, or other important events.

Edited by Simon R
Granmar

Morning

Findmypast is showing his service record is available BUT, from experience, it could only be a burnt page or just one piece of paper with his number on.

I'm not a member at the moment but they do do a free trial. Remember to cancel prior to the end of the trial period.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi,

It's not much, but this is the page that mentions your grandfather (there is a couple of pages, but they don't seem connected but if you want them, I can do that), hope it helps:) 

image.png.639a78f6117eafd433a77c5e45619c31.png

Sorry, occurred afterwards didn't credit source which is Findmypast (and also couldn't find the edit).:unsure:

On 11/03/2024 at 18:49, JamesHH said:

Do you happen to know where the citations for honours and awards would be ? I wish to read one about a colleague of my grandfather,

or were these lost over time in the fire. I have searched the gazette, but it only tells me what I already know about the chaps MSM, but not why he got it.

Many awards were for general good service and without a specifically published citation e.g. in a 'King's Birthday' or in a 'Peace Gazette' edition = Worth checking the LG date to see if it is in  one of those editions, or not.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you Clancy and Old Sweat for replies....... Sorry for delayed reply, but her in doors needed a new kitchen!

Clancy, can you tell me where the image came from, and do you know what Dis to Rei means, plus Adm6 6 Gen ???

Also does anyone know the location of the attached images are?

Dis to rei = Discharged to Reinforcements

Adm Gen 6 = Admitted to No 6 General Hospital - possibly based in Rouen

• Admin

Your images are of the Butte de Vauquois, and don’t  appear to have any  relevance to this thread?

The discharged to reinforcements only refers to 15278 Dennison.

Menday is on the Admitted to 6 GH part of the list.

I've had a look at some of the names and only found one man wounded around Sept/Oct 1917. This is far from conclusive.

The printed list may be all men admitted with sickness. If you wanted to date the list you'd need to check all the details for service/pension files and hope for some with a record of admission to 6GH.

Lastly, you can just make out to the right of RFA there is a 2. I don't know much about RFA structure but it could be part of a brigade number EG. 236 Brigade.

TEW

42 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Your images are of the Butte de Vauquois, and don’t  appear to have any  relevance to this thread?

Yes sorry, on a bit of a roundabout on grandfathers history, the pictures were of an area in which he served, subject to more reading in the war diaries, thank you for identifing them. We are going out to France in July, to see where he was.

6 minutes ago, TEW said:

The discharged to reinforcements only refers to 15278 Dennison.

Menday is on the Admitted to 6 GH part of the list.

I've had a look at some of the names and only found one man wounded around Sept/Oct 1917. This is far from conclusive.

The printed list may be all men admitted with sickness. If you wanted to date the list you'd need to check all the details for service/pension files and hope for some with a record of admission to 6GH.

Lastly, you can just make out to the right of RFA there is a 2. I don't know much about RFA structure but it could be part of a brigade number EG. 236 Brigade.

TEW

My Grandfather was sent back to England on 22 May18 suffering from severe influenza on the HMHS Panama, I cannot seem to locate his service file, assume destroyed in the fire in 44.

Re the RFA bit, he was attached to 235 D battery, so I think that adds up. Thanks for your interest.

• Admin

Butte de Vauquois is in the Argonne area. Are you sure he served there? 
https://butte-vauquois.fr/en/history/

On 13/03/2024 at 10:49, Clancy said:

Hi,

It's not much, but this is the page that mentions your grandfather (there is a couple of pages, but they don't seem connected but if you want them, I can do that), hope it helps:) 

image.png.639a78f6117eafd433a77c5e45619c31.png

Clancy can you send me the second page as well please?

I doubt the second page will be relevant. Once those lists have been torn in half finding the other part is almost impossible.

TEW

16 minutes ago, TEW said:

I doubt the second page will be relevant. Once those lists have been torn in half finding the other part is almost impossible.

TEW

Wow Tew, that was lucky then finding the half page  that Clancy sent me.

Excuse my lack of knowledge here...what is the document, where do I find these documents and who tore them up ??

James

Edited by JamesHH